“very clean and quiet”

Aloha Kai Vacation Rentals
south bend
“very clean and quiet”
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I stayed at the Aloha Kai the first week of April during spring break. We stayed in unit 31 which was a two bd rm 1bth unit. We had 4 adults and 2 small children. When we booked this specific unit we were told it sleeps 6 because of the pull out sofa sleeper. When we arrived we were told that the sofa had been replaced with a new one but it wasn't a pull-out. They did give us 2 roll aways, but only one of them would fit in the bedroom. My youngest child ended up sleeping on the couch most of the time. It worked out okay. It was nice new furniture but a little big for the size of living space. Also the street to the units was all tore up, so we were driving on bumpy dirt the whole time. We got alot of rain one night, so one whole street was flooded. They were doing work also and the place smelled of sewage. Luckily they weren't working near our unit. It was very noisy during the day. It should be very nice once the road is finished.The location of this property is GREAT. It was very quiet at night, and the staff was nice. Very clean and I am pretty picky. I would stay here again and recommend it.

• Liked — clean and items included
  • Disliked — pool a little strict
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank lexcar

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago. Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2008

Booked on Expedia and received multiple confirmations. Arrived at the property and was greeted by a surly woman who said that we didn't have a room. When pressed, she said that "Expedia shouldn't have booked me because it's "season." Apparently they did this to others, and they called Expedia to remove their rooms from inventory. I can understand that mistakes are made, but the woman's attitude was terrible and I would never stay at this place in the future. I asked for suggestions of where to look for a place for my family, and she laughed at me and said "Tampa." She offered no apologies and even accused me of being naive that I could actually find a room during "season."

After seeing the dirty office and looking at the grounds I can assure you that it is not worth the money anyway. I actually found a wonderful place just down the road with wonderful service and great accomodations and it was cheaper than this pit. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
10 Thank Mark_in_Chicago
Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 January 2008

We started going to aloha kai 5 years ago because of the private villas, the junior olympic pool, and the beach. We have stayed in a different villa every year and have been there alone, with our adult children, and with friends.
If you love the Sarasota area, Siesta Key is the place to stay. We've looked into other places besides Aloha Kai. None have a pool that compares. My husband is always in training for some upcoming swim competition, so the pool is a huge attraction to us. It is pristine and the perfect temperature.
The villas are of varying quality and that does not affect the price, which goes by bedrooms and bathrooms. However, they are all adequate. Sure, we have gone out and bought a few things (like a pot holder) for the kitchen and left them for the next person, but we don't care about that sort of thing.
This season, in the process of setting up our 2008 visit, the person I dealt with was professional, accomodating and very conscientous. I was impressed, though I have never been disatisfied in the past.
We'll keep going to Aloha Kai.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank franscene9
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 December 2007

My husband and I stayed in a one-bedroom villa at Aloha Kai for the first time last year. The unit was exceptionally clean and the perfect size for the two of us. We especially loved the huge swimming pool and the fact that we were so close to the spectacular beach.
We decided to return to Aloha Kai this year and were not deterred by the negative reviews about it on your site. Our experience this year (we are ending our vacation in two days) has been even better than before. One of the things we love about this establishment is the fact that the administration has and enforces the rules needed to make it a safe and quiet place. Also, despite some road construction about which management had warned us when we made our reservations, I am struck by the incredible cleanliness of everything here. All the guests have been very friendly, and I have had the good fortune of seeing some of their villas, too--all of which have been as comfortable and as clean as our own.
On our first day here, we noticed that it was impossible to get rid of the closed captions on our television set. I mentioned this fact to a manager, and she said she would buy us a new TV. That new TV arrived later that afternoon! The nicest part of the saga was the fact that the maintenance man gave the old TV to a construction worker repairing the road--the man was absolutely thrilled about his unexpected windfall, as were we.
Yes, linens and supplies are only replenished here once a week, but we have had far more towels,etc. than we have been able to use. We only expected one parking space, but when our rental car broke down, a manager gave us a guest parking pass to use for a new car while we waited for the first car to be towed away. One of Aloha Kai's maintenance men even tried to help us fix the car in need of repair!
When we had a plumbing problem, someone came to our unit moments after my husband called and resolved the problem to our satisfaction.
We fully intend to return to Aloha Kai next year. This beautiful, clean, and quiet vacation spot simply is NOT the place described in some of the negative reviews on this site. I didn't hear a single complaint from any of the cheerful and obviously satisfied visitors I met this week. Truly, Aloha Kai is a real gem.

• Liked — pool, beach, villa
  • Disliked — construction work
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank travelbugsharon1
dallas, tx
Reviewed 7 August 2007

We've been visiting Aloha Kai during the month of July for over 20 years. We have a large family and usually rent about 6 to 8 villas. Although our group includes everything from babies to grandparents, we've never stolen or damaged anything and have completely cherished our time there.

Sadly, the new management & it's policies have led us to look for a new place next year. A $300 deposit is now required on top of the rental fee that is due in full at check-in. They have 45 days to return your deposit once you check out & they seem to be using every one of those days before refunding your money. They are also now tacking on an additional $100 cleaning fee - that might be okay if the villas were REALLY cleaned, but they're not. We encountered dirty dishes, filthy carpets and floors, etc. Many of the villas need to be remodeled/repaired - Air conditioning left much to be desired in several units and a few are still sporting their original decor from when the villas were built. Also,some are very poorly stocked with cooking items in the kitchens.

Parking is also a HUGE issue. Although some units clearly have space to park two cars (many have space only for one), the management strictly enforces a one car per villa rule. Apparently a tow truck regularly drives the complex looking for violations. If there was adequate space for overflow in the front, this rule might be okay, but there are not enough spaces to accommodate 2 cars for every 2 bedroom unit. Luckily, the complex was as empty as we'd ever seen it, so we survived without too much parking drama, but if the complex were full, it would be a nightmare. There's no alternative parking nearby.

The new management leaves so much to be desired. Nobody goes on vacation to feel stressed out. It's with a heavy heart that I say stay away from Aloha Kai, there are many other places to stay on this beautiful island that won't leave you feeling harassed and unappreciated as a customer.

• Liked — the beautiful beach
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family