“"Get the veal...it's the best in town."”

Mona Lisa Italian Restaurant
Ranked #342 of 1,069 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$12 - US$24
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a 3rd generation family run establishment. Our cuisine is northern italian & some southern also. Our popular menu entrees features homemade pastas, fresh seafood, tender veal dishes and homemade desserts.
Reviewed 22 March 2017

Well, I don't know that it's the "best" in town because I haven't tried them all. What I do know is that there are almost as many veal dishes on the menu as there are tables ( it's a small ristorante). Seven delightfully inventive veal offerings. Only five chicken.
One large round table (we were a party of six) and a handful of smaller tables. There is more seating on the lakeside outdoor covered veranda. Beautifully peaceful setting in the middle of a residential area.
Half of the owners served our table, and the other half mastered the kitchen. If you have somewhere to go after dinner, this is not for you. Everything is prepared fresh from scratch for you, and that means: be prepared with some table conversation because dining here will be your evening. Go slow; relax; have some more wine from the impressive list of "house" wines and enjoy being there.
Veal dishes are $21-$23 range - including salad and a side of penne.
Reservations are a MUST.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Came in few days ago after I read good reviews.
I walked into the restaurant, when the hostess approached me and ask if I have a reservation. I told her I didn't, and I was told I can't have a table without it. The inside was half empty and there was around 30 empty tables outside. Like, seriously?? I'm already in your restaurant, you have plenty of empty tables, why would you ask me to leave?? If you don't take costumer with no reservation you should at least mention it in your website!! Won't be back.

1  Thank Dasi B
donniechef, Owner at Mona Lisa Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

My wife and I are so sorry that we had to turn you away a few days ago. Our seating is very limited inside and outside. Those empty tables you saw were reserved well in advance. Each party of 2 to 4 persons usually take up 90 minutes, more than 4 persons in a given party are aloted more time. We take pride in our service and our food and try to please each and everyone every night. As for our outside covered deck, we have 7 tables servicing 18 people. Again we apologize for the inconvenience. Marissa and I would love the opportunity to serve you and treat you right.

Don & Marissa

Reviewed 18 February 2017

My husband and I chose this restaurant for our Valentine Dinner... Living in The Meadows, Sarasota ... it's a real heirloom, a cosy, friendly and authentic Italian restaurant. The owners are such nice people and we were been served by their son who has this "classic" touch. The food was excellent - I had veal, fresh pasta, with sage sauce, and lemon cake for dessert. The wine by the glass are good. Parking is easy and free. My husband and I went few times in Italy and we can affirm that the cuisine is authentic. It was not our first time at this restaurant and we will certainly go back.

1  Thank GatineauMarie
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

We've been to Mona Lisa's three times and have always had excellent meals.

This time my wife had the Eggplant Special and loved it.

I had the Lasagna and found it to be boring. Perhaps my fault for not ordering my typical Veal Saltimboca, which has always been excellent.

Wait time between appetizer and salad was very long. Maybe because it was Valentines Day.

All in all, my wife was happy. I was not.

1  Thank Waterlefe1
Reviewed 3 February 2017

Loved, loved, loved the antipasti, the pasta, the service, the quaintness and oh my the dessert! My husband and I had the meat sauce and it was wonderful! You could taste the boldness of the wine, the depth the bone marrow infused into the lush tomatoes and the time and care it took to make it. Hubby had gnocchi and they were light and fluffy. I had lasagna and it was cheesy goodness. Limoncello cake was to die for and the gelato is a must have. The owners are extremely gracious and welcoming. Loved everything about Mona Lisa's.