“Rude... flat rude”

Big Olaf Creamery
Ranked #14 of 48 Dessert in Sarasota
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

My friends had some guests from out of town and we love to treat them to ice cream. Big Olaf has great ice cream and multiple other locations. I will visit those again, but not this location, the guy working there- I’m presuming the manager or owner totally belittled my friend when he confirmed the tattered paper sign on the door that said cash only was accurate. Our hope was that it was from a computer issue that had been fixed. (Who only takes cash in a touristy area??) A simple and polite no, or I’m sorry would have been fine. However, the response we got was: “is there a sign on the door? Oh then it must be true, ya were cash only.” He was a real jerk about it. We went across the street to Kilwins and had great service for all 13 of us. So be warned, it’s cash only & the decor is also weird..

1  Thank Seth A

Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

When you eat ice cream at big Olaf creamery its an experience that is great for the whole family. The choices are huge and the flavors are our of this world yummy.

1  Thank Jhonesnaps60
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Everyone in our group enjoyed their ice cream choices. They have your typical ice cream flavors and a variety of flavors that I haven't heard of before. The gentleman behind the counter was very patient with my kids as they decided what to get. I highly recommend coming in the afternoon when it isn't as busy as it is later in the evening. Make sure to bring cash to pay because they don't accept credit cards.

1  Thank zoe2578
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Located in Siesta Key Village. Good walking area, and restaurants and shops. A must see if in the area. The ice cream shop is a fun place and always busy. Go for it

1  Thank paulff511
Reviewed 7 July 2018

After being underwhelmed w their biggest competitor the night before, we tried Big Olaf and wish we had gone there the first night. Unlike their competitor that weighs every scoop, a single scoop at Big Olaf is like 2 scoops anywhere else. The service was warm and friendly and quick.

I got the salted caramel and pretzel in a chocolate dipped waffle cone and it was just excellent. My wife got Gator tracks that she enjoyed as well. The place was decorated with hurricane tracking maps that went back at least 15 years. I know we first visited this place in 1990 and it just keeps serving excellent ice cream for 1/2 the coast of the place around the corner.

My wife and I each got single scoops (which is more like 2 scoops) and paid a total of about $9. Great value.

1  Thank scottdavey46