“Great meal, relaxing atmosphere”
Review of The Greek Taverna

The Greek Taverna
Ranked #161 of 1,158 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2017

A good impression was made as soon as we were seated; the chairs in this little place are the most comfortable I have ever found in a restaurant. Staff are very nice. Tables have clean cloth tablecloths with cloth napkins.

Prices are good, not cheap, but affordable. Portions are not huge. We were a party of 4 and each of us had an appetizer, salad, main dish and dessert and were pleasantly full. Everything served was excellent.

We started with a very good Saganaki, flamed higher than I ever saw. Quite a presentation. Next were Greek side salads with the best olive oil dressing I have ever tasted. Two of us had the Beef Shishkebab, another had the Lamb Shank and the fourth the Spanakopita. All of the meals were served hot and fresh. The beef was tender and cooked to perfection. I thought the Spanakopita was a bit small, but my wife could not eat it all. Very rich and tasty. We all had the Baklava for dessert. That was a perfect end to the meal, it was probably the best I have ever had.

The entire meal was served at a leisurely pace. We enjoyed the time between courses to visit with our friends. This is not a fast food place, so plan on spending some time here. We will be returning soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Most of the staff are part of the family and they are friendly. Good service and real Greek food made and served authentically. They will take and honor reservations. A quiet and pleasant atmosphere.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

We visited for our first time. Our server was delightful. Wines a bit pricey. We ordered saganaki, which was flamed and delicious. Good bread. We split a Greek Country Salad, which was plenty for both of us, as well as Pastitsio. Everything was flavorful and fresh. We will definitely return !

Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Nice Greek family owned restaurant. Lemon chicken, old family recipe was very good. Stuffed tomatoes and stuffed pepper probably held over too long. Didn't have a lot of flavor. Veggies dark in color. Lemon potatoes were tasty. The bread was excellent and Greek side salad very good. Might return if we near the area.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

I started with a lovely glass of 2013 Amethystos and Amy a nice white Assyrtiko from Santorini. The owner suggested we start with the grilled octopus. He said if it wasn't the best we ever had we didn't have to pay for it. We paid for it. Magnificent presentation, perfectly grilled in a delicious olive oil, pepper, oregano and garlic. The best I have ever had. Next was a Greek salad, again with perfect olive oil, beautiful ripe tomatoes and home made feta. Amy had the lemon egg drop soup which puckered her lips and was, as she said, a true appetizer. It made her hungrier. Next it was the main course. I had lamb shank in a tomato, oregano, garlic and olive oil sauce. I tasted a little thyme, also. Perfectly prepared, it fell off the bone and was served with a delectable rice pilaf . Amy had the lamb chops , perfectly grilled to medium rare and tender enough to cut with fork. As if this wasn't all great enough, we spoke at length to the owner, an 83 year old Santorini Greek wearing pink cargo shorts who spun us tales, as did our waitress, his 25 year old daughter. Then it was tr for dessert. I'll save that for the next installment. Suffice it to say, if you are in Sarasota don't miss this Greek Mama's incredible cooking at a price that will amaze you. You won't be disappointed.