“Some of best greek food.”
Review of The Greek Taverna

The Greek Taverna
Ranked #188 of 1,179 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 March 2017

Restaurant is very low key on ambiance but the food was really wonderful. Owner only uses finest quality of meats and it shows in the taste.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Last night ten of us went to the Greek Taverna , They were very helpful & gave us a big round table for all to sit at. The place was full of customers & still it was not loud or crazy. Every single one of us just loved his or her dinner. Some in our party were Greek & others had been to Greece many times on vacations. All agreed that the food was the real deal .They also carry Santorini wine here & that isn't found everywhere.Service was just the best too .Any & all of us would go back to The Greek Taverna again .You might have to search a little to find it but well worth it.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

What a special place for a very nice evening and a delicious dinner! The service is impeccable and the food was full of flavor. We happened to go on a Friday evening when they had a belly dancer. The owner would come around and visit at each table and the waitresses were very personable and efficient. We are returning with friends in just a few days!

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Sarasota restaurants often fall into two categories. There's upscale downtown and then chain driven stops along the Tamiami trail. Yet there are many gems that sit in strip malls and local haunts that please the palate and embrace the warmth of a family run kitchen and extended living room. The Greek Taverna, with its quality food and warm neighborhood embrace, is right there. A smile greeted us as we entered for the first time along with thoughtful descriptions of Greek Wines by the glass. The food was scrumptuos and plentiful, from Gyros to Kababs adorned with lemon potatoes. Grandpa emerges from the kitchen clad in red shorts to serve appetizers amidst flaming "opa." As the restaurant filled ( reservations suggested) the small crew scrambled and smiled to serve all. the rice pudding and a Greek bread pudding are devine. It ain't chic, its wonderful Greek....

1  Thank BroadwayBruce
Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

I went here with a craving a nice, big Greek salad for dinner. The entree salad on the menu seemed cheap ($7.95) but what I was served wasn't even worth that much. It was identical to and only slightly bigger than the side salad that came with my husband's meal. The salad was fresh, but didn't have all the "fixins" that make a nice, hefty Greek salad. I filled up on bread since the salad was definitely not big enough for a dinner. The bread was very soft on the inside with a very chewy crust. My hubby got their pork chops which were good, but not great. They were too salty for our taste. The restaurant is pretty fancy with upholstered arm chairs and cloth napkins and table cloths. It's nicely done. The owner greeted us and walked around often, chatting with the diners. He actually spent a lot of time speaking Greek with the people at the table next to us. I watched them get their meal and sit, smiling hesitantly, while he continued to talked with them as their food sat there. From my vantage point I could see the looks on their faces as they wondered if they should continue to chat or start eating before their meals got cold. Awkward situation. Overall, the service was alright and my hubby's food was alright. My meal was more of a side dish. I don't think I'd go here again but I can see how some people might like it.