“A new favorite!”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: A gem sitting directly on Choctawhatchee Bay at the southern foot of the 331 bridge, The Bay is Chef Jim Shirley's latest South Walton sensation. The family-friendly restaurant features mouth-watering Southern gulf coast cuisine, sushi, a 12-draft beer system, excellent wine selections, and inventive bar-crafted cocktails. Table and bar seating is available inside and outside on the deck overlooking Choctawhatchee Bay.
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Wow! On the drive down to the beach, had extra time before our rental unit was ready, so decided to try The Bay (sister restaurant to The Great Southern, another of our favorites). So glad we did!... with a relaxing indoor/outdoor atmosphere, we were welcomed by a kind, knowledgeable server and the light and airy decor. We ordered the "Faux Ya Ya" ("faux" being polenta vs. grits with shrimp in a fabulous sauce...) and the equally decadent Lobster Roll. OMGOODness! and beautiful to look at! Bring me another napkin and a "to go" box for the yummy leftovers!!

Definitely added to our list of favorites, and with frequent live entertainment, the perfect place for a memorable date!

Jill T, Public Relations Manager at The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2017

You are so kind! Thank you for taking a moment to write!

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Went for lunch today with friends all of us from Canada down here for the winter. What a great location right on the water. The fired shrimp lunch was excellent! Our server Olivia was new at the job but handled everything with ease. She took care of us.

SUPER to hear! Thank you for coming in and writing a review!

Reviewed 22 February 2017

Visited today for a late lunch and I had the shrimp, my wife had oysters and we both had the sweet potato chips. The shrimp had just a light flakey breading which melted in my mouth. I also had seasoned rice with pecans and that too was very good. They are right on the bay so the scenry is beautiful and have a beach with seating which they probably fill when the weather is warmer. Our service was very good however I expected that because they weren't busy. (3 o'clock in the afternoon)

Yes - We will be going back ! Thanks for the great experience.

Jill T, Public Relations Manager at The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Thank you for your very gracious review! We hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

We started with the Vietnamese wings which were outstanding with a sweet slightly spicy sauce. I had the Faux Ya Ya which was really great. The sauce was very rich and flavorful. It was a very creative dish, loved it. The two others in my group had the snapper with crab cake and the seafood platter. Both of those were very good too. Excellent meal.

Jill T, Public Relations Manager at The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Thank you for your excellent review! It means so much to us!

Reviewed 18 February 2017

I have been here multiple times and have always had high hopes for it. But with every visit that has just diminished more and more.

I have Celiac Disease which means i cannot have gluten. And no this is not a "fad" for me. I can get violently ill and have been hospitalized for it because of the pain before. It is basically is poison to me.
When i heard this place has gluten free i got excited but am always questioning if they actually know what being gluten free or "gluten friendly" as they state actually means. And to cut to the short of it, they don't!

The multiple occasions i have been here have ruined my faith in it. The first time was when i asked if they have a gluten free menu and they brought one out to me. I ordered a sandwich which stated they had a gluten free bun. After ordering my waiter (who was not pleasant) said "we don't have those". I showed him the menu and he said he would go check. The manager then came out and said they didn't have them and that i shouldn't have been given that menu yet. Needless to say i was put off.

Another time we went back i called ahead and asked if they had the gluten free buns yet and is the were using the menu i was previously given. I was told yes. So we went in and after trying to order the sandwich i previously could not get and making sure they knew i had Celiacs and that i absolutely needed it gluten free, they bring out our food. I could tell it was not a gluten free bun and asked the server. She said oh it should be let me double check....well she had forgotten to put in that it needed to be gluten free! Thankfully they went back and remade it from scratch as they cannot just move a burger from a non gluten free bun to a gluten free one due to cross contamination.

Well the absolute WORST one was when our friends were having a birthday celebration and they decided to have it at the bay. I was weary but hoped they would get it correct as i know everyone makes mistakes. Well we went and this time i tried to order a burger. After again pleading that they make sure its gluten free we waited for our food. When it came out i asked to make sure it was gluten free and the waiter said yes. I had this feeling in my gut that it wasn't right. I asked my fiance the look as well. The bun was incredibly soft (like the bunny type that you buy at the store). If you know gluten free, this was absolutely not gluten free bread. I waited for the waiter to come back and asked again stating this doesn't seem like the correct bread, can you double check. He guaranteed me again this was the gluten free bread.
I could not bring myself to trust it so i left it on my plate and told my fiance (who does not have Celiac) he might as well take it home because i do not trust it. It was embarrassing being a table full of friends as they see you are not able to eat what you ordered and you do not want to cause a disruption. Well 30 minutes later the waiter came out with another bun saying here is another gluten free bun "since you didn't feel safe with the other one". Well its a good thing i followed my gut because the one he then brought out was a completely different type that was thicker and harder, much more like a gluten free bun. And he was thinking for my peace of mind i can just switch it over....well that's not how it works. The burger and topping were already contaminated by the bun and if i ate it i would still get sick. I really believe he was just trying to cover his own tail after he kept telling me for half an hour that it was gluten free and probably found out he was wrong. I did not cause a disruption as we were with company so i had to pay for food i could not even eat!

Then the last time we went they have "french fries" and "wings" as gluten free on their gluten friendly menu. Well when i stressed the issues that I've had and that i wanted those i was then told "the chef doesn't feel comfortable doing that because of all the items that have been made in the fryers tonight. Though i usually understand this DO NOT offer gluten free items if you plan to use the same fryer for non gluten free. That is still CROSS CONTAMINATION and that is how you get people sick!

This place has absolutely NO idea or care for guests with medical issues and i don't see that changing. Maybe if you have absolutely no food problems at all you might like it.

My qualm of this restaurant is not only with their blatant disregards for people with food allergies or illness's but their service has also been horrid. We have only had 1 really great server there that we like a lot however many of the staff is rude, uncaring and is just going through the motions.Even my friend who do not eat gluten free have commented on the same thing.

I will not be dining here again and if i am forced to come to this restaurant i will not get anything but a water from here because i do not believe they will give me any guarantee that anything there is safe.

I understand restaurants who do not serve gluten free and do not accommodate people like me with this disease. That is their choice and i respect that. But do not offer gluten free or "gluten friendly" if you do not know what it actually entails or if you do not care enough to execute it and train your staff properly. You can get people very ill and if you do not care about that you should not be able to serve anyone.

3  Thank Kathleen B