“A Sanibel Treasure!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Mitchell's Sandcastles
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 5 November 2017

The only things you need at Mitchell's are food, sunglasses and a swimsuit. I have stayed here alone and with friends on at least 7 occasions. I've never had a bad experience! The cottages are beautifully decorated, immaculately clean and the beds supremely comfortable. You are not bothered by intrusive maid service, but your linens will be exchanged and washed daily. There are two swimming pools (towels provided), tennis courts, beach chairs, bikes, kayaks, beach umbrellas and shelling equipment. There is both a laundry room and a business center. The complex is tidy, well organized and quiet. The beach is private and not crowded. (and full of shells!!) If you have any need whatsoever, just stop by the office and you are well taken care of every time. I will never stay anywhere else on the island, Mitchell's does it right! Thanks, Joel and staff for always providing a peaceful, relaxing break.

Room Tip: Be sure to peruse the website to get an idea of what each cottage offers before choosing.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Mitchell's Sandcastles has what's most important- directly on the shell filled beach! Of course you can never guess where the shells will wash in from tide to tide but the beach here is nice. This is a group of well kept cottages of different sizes. The complex is very quite and relaxing. There are swimming pools and other activities but we just went to the beach. We stayed in Sea Grape which is a 1 bed efficiency. Very tiny but has a great screened in porch with a fantastic view of the Gulf and sunset. The only complaint we had was the mattress and linens. The mattress does need to be replaced. After two nights of little sleep we asked to move to another room but it was all booked. And the bed linens were worn and rough. But really when you're in paradise there's not a lot that can spoil a good time!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This place is like a dream! My husband and I spent our 5-year anniversary here and we had the best vacation we've ever had! Mitchell's Sandcastles is just lovely! Our cottage was adorable and sat right on the beach. We saw dolphins and many other kinds of wildlife. The seashells were plentiful and so pretty. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the Pelican Cottage which was recently renovated. The Pelican is a studio which was perfect for my husband, me and my dog. I loved the location and it's steps away from the beach. This is not a fancy resort with room service, maid service and restaurants. The beauty about Mitchell's Sand Castles is that you feel like you are in your private beach home; It's a perfect quiet getaway. The best part about this place is that they are totally pet friendly. Even though it rained he entire weekend, we had a wonderful time. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank asora10066
Reviewed 6 August 2017

This year we got to stay in Ocean Mist for our 4th stay. Although we adored the lovely Sea Spray cottage with its screened porch and rustic paneled walls for 3 prior visits, I have to say that the 2 extra bedrooms and baths of Ocean Mist were heavenly with two teenage boys so they could each have their own space. The sliding glass doors from each room made it so easy for everyone to come and go without disturbing each other and having the extra baths when everyone came back salty, wet and sandy from the gorgeous shell-covered beach or fishing was fantastic. The rooms had PLENTY of drawer and closet storage and the beds were even more comfortable than home I think. I really can't rave enough about what a quality experience this is for a family. Our black lab loves it, the staff is wonderful and the location and views simply cannot be beat. You pretty much check into your house and are left alone unless you need something and then the staff makes it happen super quick. The kitchen was great with sufficient dishes, pans and utensils if you wanted to cook and a dishwasher, blender, coffee maker, microwave and fridge with filtered water and ice in the door. I thought I would seriously miss the screened porch at Sea Spray and had it rained I might have, but it was sunny the entire week and the view from the living room couch was absolutely stunning. One of the highlights was seeing a gopher tortoise not once but twice walking around in front of our house. We've made around 9 trips to Sanibel over the years and had never gotten to see one before despite the crossing signs everywhere. We were beginning to think they were a myth and to have one handsome fellow casually wander around completely uncaring of we humans frantically screeching at each other to get the camera not once but twice was just the best. I'm going to attach a couple photos showing the view from the front porch and if that doesn't convince a traveler that this is heaven on earth, I say good because there's a selfish part of us that want to keep this place as our secret forever. Thank you to Joel and staff for another week of hospitality and lifelong memories. See you same time next year!

Room Tip: They are all close to the beach but the ones facing the beach have spectacular views worth every ext...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family