All reviews ocean mist the cottages sea chest sea spray cottage beach chairs the kitchen sea grape screened porch free kayaks love this place quiet beach shelling equipment great shelling red tide saw dolphins tennis courts coffee maker
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Mitchell's Sandcastles has what's most important- directly on the shell filled beach! Of course you can never guess where the shells will wash in from tide to tide but the beach here is nice. This is a group of well kept cottages of different sizes. The complex is very quite and relaxing. There are swimming pools and other activities but we just went to the beach. We stayed in Sea Grape which is a 1 bed efficiency. Very tiny but has a great screened in porch with a fantastic view of the Gulf and sunset. The only complaint we had was the mattress and linens. The mattress does need to be replaced. After two nights of little sleep we asked to move to another room but it was all booked. And the bed linens were worn and rough. But really when you're in paradise there's not a lot that can spoil a good time!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sweetie1953
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This place is like a dream! My husband and I spent our 5-year anniversary here and we had the best vacation we've ever had! Mitchell's Sandcastles is just lovely! Our cottage was adorable and sat right on the beach. We saw dolphins and many other kinds of wildlife. The seashells were plentiful and so pretty. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: September 2017
3  Thank Patty W
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the Pelican Cottage which was recently renovated. The Pelican is a studio which was perfect for my husband, me and my dog. I loved the location and it's steps away from the beach. This is not a fancy resort with room service, maid service and restaurants. The beauty about Mitchell's Sand Castles is that you feel like you are in your private beach home; It's a perfect quiet getaway. The best part about this place is that they are totally pet friendly. Even though it rained he entire weekend, we had a wonderful time. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank asora10066
Reviewed 6 August 2017

This year we got to stay in Ocean Mist for our 4th stay. Although we adored the lovely Sea Spray cottage with its screened porch and rustic paneled walls for 3 prior visits, I have to say that the 2 extra bedrooms and baths of Ocean Mist were heavenly with two teenage boys so they could each have their own space. The sliding glass doors from each room made it so easy for everyone to come and go without disturbing each other and having the extra baths when everyone came back salty, wet and sandy from the gorgeous shell-covered beach or fishing was fantastic. The rooms had PLENTY of drawer and closet storage and the beds were even more comfortable than home I think. I really can't rave enough about what a quality experience this is for a family. Our black lab loves it, the staff is wonderful and the location and views simply cannot be beat. You pretty much check into your house and are left alone unless you need something and then the staff makes it happen super quick. The kitchen was great with sufficient dishes, pans and utensils if you wanted to cook and a dishwasher, blender, coffee maker, microwave and fridge with filtered water and ice in the door. I thought I would seriously miss the screened porch at Sea Spray and had it rained I might have, but it was sunny the entire week and the view from the living room couch was absolutely stunning. One of the highlights was seeing a gopher tortoise not once but twice walking around in front of our house. We've made around 9 trips to Sanibel over the years and had never gotten to see one before despite the crossing signs everywhere. We were beginning to think they were a myth and to have one handsome fellow casually wander around completely uncaring of we humans frantically screeching at each other to get the camera not once but twice was just the best. I'm going to attach a couple photos showing the view from the front porch and if that doesn't convince a traveler that this is heaven on earth, I say good because there's a selfish part of us that want to keep this place as our secret forever. Thank you to Joel and staff for another week of hospitality and lifelong memories. See you same time next year!

Room Tip: They are all close to the beach but the ones facing the beach have spectacular views worth every extra dollar and more!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank rifrafmom
Reviewed 31 July 2017

I can not say enough nice things about Mitchell's and the owners Joel and Kim. They are such caring hosts with such great care for their guests and pride in their property!

We have gone to this resort for 6 years in a row and it gets better every year. The cabin we stayed in this year was number 8 and my new favorite. I love the space in the kitchen! It is HUGE! The beds are comfortable and so was the sofa bed. The four of us easily fit in the unit without feeling cramped. Also the 2 sinks in the bathroom really came in handy.
We can not wait until next summer to go back.

Room Tip: Number 8 on 40/15 was very spacious with huge kitchen and double vanity in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family