All reviews quiet residential neighborhood home away from home the ding darling wildlife refuge laundry facilities are the kitchen beach access beach equipment lounge chairs darwin pond bikes florida grounds sanibel accommodations watchers inns
Reviewed 13 June 2017

West-End Paradise was a pleasant surprise. Tucked into a quiet residential neighborhood, this mini-resort offers well-appointed "cottages," grounds that are well landscaped and feature several different seating areas, plenty of resident wildlife (stay somewhere else if critters give you the creeps), beach access within easy walking distance, and bikes free for guest use.

Room tip: We enjoyed having a lanai with a view of the pond, since we are fans of wildlife watching.
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sheila G
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I had reservation Monday through Wed this week BUT UPON arriving, he had re-rented out my room! He said he called me-YES HE CALLED MY HOME...I am not at my home, am on my way in my vehicle, on my way to Sanibel Island, Florida.. I was so disappointed I CRIED. There I was, he rented out my room? Granted stayed there before.FORGET That 5 star review!!! When I arrived, my room was not open. I called him, he said he said I said I would be there in a few hours-yes but I had vehicle problems...I had called at noon, got there before 5pm-He told me he would rather NOT EVER rent to me again-huh? YES GRANTED, he gave me nice discount AS I PAY CASH discount under $100 as online rates say $150 170, etc, guess he had chance to rent out room with hard bed for higher rate-he turned me away, REFUSED to rent me anything...I went to 5 other motels, small inns on Sanibel and found Noting-so there I was a quiet senior citizen stranded, after paying $6 toll, no where to stay?Disgusted...beware!

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank FortMyersRecycler
Reviewed 3 February 2017

My excellent rating is not because this is a five star hotel. It is because this funky, little 1950's style motel is a refreshing option on an island of excess, with an inn keeper (Darwin) who is the most accommodating and friendly person on earth.
We stayed a few days, enjoyed the private beach (yes, on Sanibel, private beach !!), and thoroughly enjoyed the proximity to Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge.
Our room had every amenity to make our stay comfortable.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2016

Fantastic stay! Owner went above and beyond to accommodate me. Stayed in small room. Had to drive to beach access down the road. Quiet place with few rooms...Lovely green lawn, patio tables plural with chairs, BBQ grill, closet had everything necessary for trip to beach, even down to a beach towel! Such lovely flowers and plants on property---backed up by lagoon-FREE use of bikes and canoe...very quaint and old fashioned-No pool but oh well, price was within my budget. Although refrig was cube/small so was 13" tv such sufficed. Reception allover Sanibel for my cell phone, no matter where I stay is awful... This is a "green" small motel, which am not used to but did my part.Thanks for a lovely staycation as noting, I live in Ft Myers...

Room tip: Am sure all rooms are great! This is located west of Ding darling Wildlife refuge....
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank FortMyersRecycler
Reviewed 31 July 2016

West End is tucked into a residential neighborhood on the west side of the island, so its really off the beaten path. The beach is about a 3 block walk away. Its not a luxury place, but a clean and very functional home-away-from-home. The owner provides you with everything you may need for your stay. I'd say more, but I really want to find an open time for a reservation. I tried to make a reservation for a follow-up visit for next year and the place was already booked!

Date of stay: July 2016