All reviewsquiet residential neighborhoodhome away from homethe ding darling wildlife refugelaundry facilities arethe kitchenbeach accessbeach equipmentlounge chairsdarwinpondbikesfloridagroundssanibelaccommodationswatchersinns
Reviewed 3 February 2017

My excellent rating is not because this is a five star hotel. It is because this funky, little 1950's style motel is a refreshing option on an island of excess, with an inn keeper (Darwin) who is the most accommodating and friendly person on earth.
We stayed a few days, enjoyed the private beach (yes, on Sanibel, private beach !!), and thoroughly enjoyed the proximity to Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge.
Our room had every amenity to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2016

Fantastic stay! Owner went above and beyond to accommodate me. Stayed in small room. Had to drive to beach access down the road. Quiet place with few rooms...Lovely green lawn, patio tables plural with chairs, BBQ grill, closet had everything necessary for trip to beach, even down to a beach towel! Such lovely flowers and plants on property---backed up by lagoon-FREE use of bikes and canoe...very quaint and old fashioned-No pool but oh well, price was within my budget. Although refrig was cube/small so was 13" tv such sufficed. Reception allover Sanibel for my cell phone, no matter where I stay is awful... This is a "green" small motel, which am not used to but did my part.Thanks for a lovely staycation as noting, I live in Ft Myers...

Room Tip: Am sure all rooms are great! This is located west of Ding darling Wildlife refuge....
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank FortMyersRecycler
Reviewed 31 July 2016

West End is tucked into a residential neighborhood on the west side of the island, so its really off the beaten path. The beach is about a 3 block walk away. Its not a luxury place, but a clean and very functional home-away-from-home. The owner provides you with everything you may need for your stay. I'd say more, but I really want to find an open time for a reservation. I tried to make a reservation for a follow-up visit for next year and the place was already booked!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2016

Just amazing. Homey and comfortable. They think of everything from shelling supplies to baby yellow crowned night herons in a nest outside our rooms. Short walk to beautiful beach with very few other people. Just perfect.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2016

Lovely cottage style place to stay *right* by Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge with the beach a short walk down the road. And bonus!- you will see lots of nature in your backyard while you're there, including a friendly small alligator and birds, birds, birds! The suites are all super clean, perfectly stocked and comfortable. The owner/operator Darwin was incredibly helpful and accessible for anything we needed while there.
My sister and 9 year old niece stayed for four nights and we absolutely loved it. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the dock just off the sunroom and enjoy your breakfast and dinner by the pond with nature!
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family