“Pretty Good but average! ”
Review of The Village Door

The Village Door
Ranked #19 of 27 Restaurants in Sandestin
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

The wife and I were hungry around lunch. We decided to try one of the Baytown Harbor restaurants The Village Door. It looked interesting and the menu had lots of tasty entrees. There wasn’t a lot of staff however we were seated directly outside overlooking the harbor. The waiter took our drink and appetizer order. He brought back the drinks very promptly. When the appetizers came we had to ask for silverware and napkins. This was not readily available. During the appetizers, he took our order. Once the entrees arrived we began to eat and then a storm rolled in and the wind picked up. I really wish there was better cover over the outside as pine straw started to fall and we quickly moved to another table to avoid the debris. After moving it started to rain and the cover did not prevent the rain so we moved inside. All in all the food was just average. I had the half slab of ribs with baked beans and my wife had a salad. Maybe had we sat inside I would have had a higher opinion.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 26 July 2018

If you are going to the Village Door for food ....just simply STAY AWAY!!! Can you say HORRIBLE!!! Do you like your food served on aluminum trays? Do you like your food to take well over 30 minutes once you order it to finally arrive? Try to find your server once you order your food. Forget about it. Food SUCKS and so does the service.

STAY AWAY, there are plenty of better options in Destin.

1  Thank Gary A
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

The food was just awful and the prices are way to high. Service was slow and they did not know their product. My daughter ordered the popcorn shrimp platter(which was absolutely terrible and cost $17) and they did not bring her the coleslaw or cocktail sauce. When we asked about it we were told it did not come with those items. I had to pull up the menu on my phone and show the server that it stated on the menu that it was served with those items. We will not be returning to The Village Door and we are locals.

1  Thank miableu7
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped before checking in at our condo for lunch. I had the crabcake sliders which were not bad but nothing to jump around about, daughter had fried shrimp which were large shrimp but over priced at like $17. Other kids had mac-cheese which was just looked like Kraft instant mac....nobody was complaining but the bill was like 80 bucks... something different than our normal lunch. Service was adequate.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

I really regret not checking trip advisor for
this place before entering. Walked right in for an early dinner. Service was slow, food was poor, restaurant was dirty. Read on if you must. No idea how this place has any positive reviews. Now, on to a few specifics that made this dining experience truly horrible. First, it took a long time for us to even see a server let alone get an order in. At first sight of the server he asked if we wanted water while we waited, or course, we said yes. He never asked us later if we wanted anything else to drink... Then we ordered, and the waiter did not write down anything. After a significant wait, the appetizers arrived with our meals. Some of the meals arrived with the wrong sides (thanks for not writing the order down ). Well, all of the food was borderline inedible. If you like mysterious fatty looking grey meat, you’ll love their brisket! Not your thing you say? Try their shrimp appetizer or basket, yum tastes like Gortons! I ate the pulled pork sandwich and immediately regretted it with a 24 hour stomach ache. The one thing that actually was decent here were their French fries and bbq sauces. The sauces were actually pretty good. In addition to the bad food, it began raining in the middle of the meal and people from outside poured inside with their food and surrounded us eating on all sides with no tables to provide them. The restaurant is grimy to be nice, and the rest rooms were dirtier than most full time bars. Maybe if you’ve never ate bbq you could handle some of the food, I really don’t understand how this place is in business other than they pull in a new set of tourists everyday.

1  Thank massivebuckeye