“Not so fun do”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 1,013 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 22nd Ave N
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

I’d anticipated a new experience that would offer something special and an alternative dining experience. The food selected itself was good and high quality. The cheese fondue, very good consisting of chopped up assorted bread (a filler) with a few pieces of chopped up apple, celery and broccoli. We then moved on to the main course, selected 3 items from extensive choice. We were only a party of 3 but trying to cook your main course was challenging to say the least. Due to the small size of the sizzle platter you could not cook our three choices and the vegetables, mushrooms, asparagus and courgette, at the same time. The courgette never actually cooked. It was sliced so thickly the heat from the sizzle platter just didn’t make it. Then the sizzle platter didn’t seem hot enough only to find the hot plate had turned itself off. The sizzle platter had only been introduced since the end of August, a new twist on a Fondue. However, even more reason for the server to be more informative and instructional on how to get the best from this particular style of cooking.
Having dined in many different locations around St Petes and experienced a diverse menu choice, this has been by far the most disappointing eating experience. But even more disappointing was the size of the check...not at all an experience that could be described good value. We felt almost cheated, what little food was included and charged for, an expensive experience is how we were left feeling.

Date of visit: September 2018
Steve N, General Manager at The Melting Pot, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. As you said our Grill option is a new option but we feel that it should add to the experience instead of taking something away from what we do at The Melting Pot. I would like very much to have a chance to speak with you about your experience. Please give me a call at the restaurant at your convenience. Steve 727/895-6358

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Only about six tables were occupied. We were dressed up and out for date night. Melting Pot would not seat us. They said they had not prepped enough food. This is fondue, right? Cut up some veg and melt some cheese. So disgusted that we mastered our own fondue at home and have NEVER considered going back.

Date of visit: September 2017
Steve N, General Manager at The Melting Pot, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Abadar E,
I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would very much like to talk to you about it. We work very hard here to train our team to provide the very best in food and service, but we came up very short with one member of our team. I again apologize and would be grateful for for the opportunity to speak with you. Please contact me at the restaurant Steve N. 727/895-6358.

Steve N.
The Melting Pot - St. Pete

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We brought our kids here for dinner. We’ve been coming here for years and always have a unique dining experience. We have never had any problems here & the staff is always great, quick to accommodate any seating requests, the food is of exceptional quality. I highly recommend ordering box of chocolate covered strawberries to finish off the experience, they come in box of 6 & are covered & drizzled in white & dark chocolate........yum!!!! Mai tai’s are right on point. We did the grill and pot we used the pot for our meats grill for veggies! Love this place will always come back.

Date of visit: July 2018

Thank you for the kind words! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

I have been frequenting Melting Pots for years and years... and I love the look of this one and the atmosphere but our recent visit was truly disappointing and makes us not want to return. The waiter did not greet us for 15 minutes, they were not overly busy but just a hello would have been great.

The cheese course was cold and lumpy in both pots which then he turned them up and it burned them

Mistake after mistake... little mistakes at first, such as bringing the wrong bullion oil pot, but then he overcharged us on both of our tabs by 100.00 on one tabs and a full entree on another and we gave him 4 tries to fix it and he still didn’t get it right and said it was too late as he had charged our cards, did not provide an itemized bill the 4th try after charging it (???? Wtf???) there was only 5 of us, 2 tabs, not very complicated and again he had just complained to us, the guests, how dead it was for a Saturday night and how he needed more tables... so it confirmed he had time and was not busy ... and we don’t need to hear about the wait staff drama either...
By the 4th try we just paid the bill, the bill that was still not correct and we overpaid....and could not wait to leave, very disappointed because this was not the usual Melting Pot experience we are used to and we have been to many cities Melting Pots and find this unacceptable

Date of visit: July 2018
Steve N, General Manager at The Melting Pot, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Hillary,

I am very sorry for the poor experience you had with us at The Melting Pot. We work hard to hire and train the best people in the industry. We have recently made some staffing changes to alleviate any situations like this. Again I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience. I would be grateful if you could find some time to contact me at the restaurant at your convenience so we may speak about the night you had here.

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

Cheese fondue was fantastic. The dipping breads were mediocre; bland & slightly stale, toasting them might’ve livened them up.

Salads were cold & crispy. The house salad had a lot of good things going on, topped w sliced egg. I don’t know why any one would put candied pine-nuts on a Caesar.

The entree was good, all proteins were very fresh & flavorful, especially the shrimp.

We always enjoy wine flights, so that nice touch.

I wish I could give 4 stars as the service was fantastic.

For future visits, I would stick w the cheese & chocolate pots.

Dueces Wild,

Thank you for joining us at The Melting Pot. I too wish you could have given us 4 stars and would like to know what we can do to improve your next experience. I will take a good look at the breads we are serving as they should be toasted as you suggest. Please contact me at the restaurant at your convenience. Steve N. 727/895-6358