“Rude Staff”

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Valrico, Florida
“Rude Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

My fiance and I decided to take an impromptu trip to the beach, so we called in and booked an ocean view room. We arrived a few hours later to check in, there was not a wait, so we gave our last name. The front desk agent started our check in seemingly annoyed. I asked if they gave military discounts, which she said they did, so as she is looking for the reservation she had his ID plus military ID in her hand. They had misspelled our last name, but it is not hard to do, so when she finally found us, she asked for a credit card for the room and explained the rate (still seemingly rushed and irritated) and mentioned another credit card for the $500 deposit. We were a little confused at this point, so he inquired as to what this was for. At this point, even more frustrated she stated that when we booked the room we had been explained to that because we were 18, we would need to give a credit card deposit for damages. My fiance, said no... we weren't and had we been given a chance to speak we would have explained that we were indeed, not 18. (27 to be exact, and like I stated above, she had two forms of ID in her hand) She cut him off and very rudely said "Sir, you do not need to get an attitude with me, it says it right here in the notes". I have to explain that my fiance is not the rude type, and I can assure you, there was absolutely no tone in his voice. I spoke up and told her either way, no matter the notes, he wasn't 18, therefore we wouldn't be needing the damage deposit. She continued the rest of the check in with out much conversation. She gave us no information on the hotel. The next morning we woke up and realized we weren't sure if they offered breakfast, or if there was room service, and we had already gone through the one packet of coffee and were in need of more. So, he called down to the front desk. We wanted to ask if they offered free breakfast and if not what our options were, and also to ask for more coffee if possible. The lady answered the at the front desk, he said "Do you offer breakfast here?" She said "no we do not offer breakfast, goodbye". After this odd phone conversation, he mentioned it to me, thinking maybe he misunderstood her. He called back. He asked her if they offered room service. She said she would need to transfer him to the restaurant, and again said goodbye and transferred before he could ask for the coffee. For the third time in 5 min he called back and asked for the coffee. She said she would try to ask housekeeping, again said goodbye, and hung up. At this point, I was really shocked at how incredibly rude the front desk had been and decided to write in the comment card. I wanted to delivery it directly to a manger but after housekeeping came in, it was gone. I assumed they took it to the front desk, but I suppose it could have been thrown out before it got there. Either way, there are plenty of options on St Pete Beach and I wouldn't waste your time. The only reason I gave this property 2 out of 5 is because the bartender at the pool bar was incredibly nice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SierraJ0303

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Pinellas Park, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Attended a regional conference here today - conference content was great but the facility is mediocre at best. A/C ceiling vents rusted, ceiling tiles dirty (and/or moldy) and the place smells like mildew and old, old cigarette smoke. Decor is 70's vintage beach with a disco twist. They apparently have only a floor stand microphone and for some reason the screen was placed off to the side of the room. To be fair, maybe the conference organizers set this up buy I did notice that all the conference rooms were arranged this way. The management must focus on the beach and pool area as these parts of the complex were nice enough. The 'spa' was covered and apparently unavailable. The breakfast setup was still on display @ 1 pm so maybe they cater to late risers. The beach is beautiful but spend a little more $$ and find a nicer place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I'm back at the Dolphin once again, for a 5-night stay. I've always gotten a beach front room, hoping for first floor so I can stick my toes right in the sand from my 'patio' stoop. This time I have opted for pool side with balcony, north side of the complex, 3rd floor.

It looks like maybe the Dolphin has undergone some minor remodeling. The paint and bedspreads seem fresher.

The Dolphin is not a fancy place, but it is comfortable, and it is right on the beach. As I mentioned, you can stick your toes right in the sand in a first-floor beachfront room. Try THAT at one of the typical hi-rises here.

I like shopping at the Publix Market across the street, where I pick up items for breakfast and snacks for late afternoon. The fridge has plenty of room for even a gallon of milk, plus sodas and water and etc. and a drawer for meats, cheese, salad items. There is also a microwave which works great, so I can nuke a snack if necessary.

The Dolphin now has complimentary wifi. I don't remember this in the past. Seems it was for a fee in the past?

The pool is not huge, but very inviting none the less. I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time on my balcony overlooking the pool. Because I'm on the north side of this u-shaped complex, I am getting full sun during the daytime. Rooms that are poolside on the south side of the complex don't appear to be getting much sun, now that autumn is here, and the sun is in a more southerly location for the USA.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if you opt for poolside. Not all rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Sim C
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

it was very close to beach and walking distance to many restaurants. the room was clean and staff was polite and helpful. only complaint wanted later check out but all were taken.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

we had a room with a balcony on the second floor and a king bed.
Pros: good price, on the beach, close to good restaurants, nice patio for meals, pool closes at dusk so minimal pool noise
Cons: Air conditioning is loud if you are a light sleeper, no screen on window (so you cannot leave the window and listen to the ocean waves at night).

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are farther away from the outside bar so they are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple