1,916 results
All reviews live music jimmy b's bar players sports bar great music beach resort an older hotel great vacation st pete housekeeping staff gulf blvd toasted monkey spring break bands pools ava florida kitchenette
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After reading several complaints about this hotel we were mentally prepared for the worst. We did call ahead and asked about some of the complaints in hopes that we could avoid potential issues since we were coming with our kids. The front desk employee I spoke with was wonderful and assured me they would do everything to keep us away from the noise and drunken rowdiness mentioned in other reviews. Per suggestions from other reviewers, we arrived early to grab a parking spot and checked in for the weekend.

What you see on the outside from the main street is totally not what you see on the inside! Very pleasantly surprised at the size and grounds of the resort. We were right on the beach, so no messing with beach parking and the pool was right off of the beach, so we could jump in and cool off after a day at the beach. The room was huge and we fit four of us very comfortably. As the front desk promised, our room was away from the bar area and we had no issues with noise or drunk people stumbling around our kids. Dunkin' Donuts was across the street which made coffee and breakfast easy, and Jimmy B's had a great lunch/dinner menu, so we had everything we needed for a great weekend.

I debated giving this place a 4 rating and not a 3 for two reasons:

1. The smoking! For the love of mankind! Ban the resort smoking or move it to designated areas! There are chairs in the walkway in front of every room and people gladly sit in them and chain smoke. I really don't want to get black lung walking to my hotel room. It was hot, humid and just disgusting to walk through stagnant cigarette smoke and I was pretty annoyed my kids had to walk through it. Sadly, the smoking issue wasn't just in front of the rooms! People were smoking all around the pool and all over Jimmy B's. The sports bar thing I get, but good grief there are sections of just tables where people are eating. Can you at least let people have a non-smoking area so they can breathe while they eat????

2. Management. As I said earlier, we got in early because of the warnings about parking. I found a spot right up front and left my car for the weekend. When we went to pack up and head home we saw my car had been hit. Car hadn't moved all weekend so we knew it happened there. I went to the front desk, not accusing them of anything or making any demands, I just asked if they had cameras. Answer? No. The desk employees were wonderful and very apologetic. The manager on the other hand seriously lacked in customer relations skills. The desk employees went to get their manager and she comes out and tells me to call the police (which obviously I planned to do anyway). I was peeved at the situation but the way the manager was talking to me really aggravated me. Her front desk staff was much more professional and caring. The manager went on to lecture me about how Florida is a no fault state and blah blah blah because I guess I don't know the laws in the state where I LIVE. The comment was totally unnecessary. I wasn't demanding compensation. I wasn't threatening anyone. I simply asked why they didn't have cameras given the number of complaints I read about the parking lots and disorderly conduct. The manager was oh so kind to offer us a late check out while I waited for the police to come. Gee thanks! You'd think a hotel manager might see a first time guest extremely inconvenienced and unhappy and maybe just offer a free round of drinks on our next visit, or maybe offer to buy one of the many rounds we had over the weekend at the very least. But no, instead I got a lecture on Florida laws and a 45 min checkout extension while I waited for a police report. Nice!

I decided to stick with a 4 rating because of the location, room size, and friendly employees (manager excluded). I'll get over the manager/parking lot issue but if I never come back it will be because of the smoking. It is everywhere and it is disgusting. It's a shame too because without it, this would be a great spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area if you prefer no noise.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank WallStPrncss
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We are having the best beach vacation ever, great service (Jess and Katie), so welcoming love this place will come back every year so great, love the beach vacation love walking the beach and walking in and swimming in the water

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2018

The whole experience was quite interesting. First, the price of the hotel was not cheap. Perhaps it had a great location along the beach. When the vacation date was approaching, we found that the price was dropping gradually. Since we booked the hotel through the popular travel website, we were able to cancel the reservation and booked again at a lower price. It was not once, not twice but actually three times we changed the reservation. At the end we got a really good price. Secondly, after we got the key card, we found that our room was occupied by another travelers. We still don't understand what happened with their computer system. They quickly gave us a new room which was closer to the pool and beach. We found out that we were upgraded to a suite room with additional sofa and TV. We didn't ask for the reason. So we didn't know if this was a compensation or we moved into a bigger empty room coincidentally. Third, we visited after the second week of August. There were much less travelers. Some reviewers said the hotel had a small heated pool. Indeed they were correct. However, there was actually no one using the pool in the morning. It seems like becoming our private pool.
The beach bar was opened to non hotel guests. We thought the security seemed fine as we saw a security guy a few times during the night.
Overall the property was well maintained. However, there was no ventilation in the bathroom. As the hotel advised themselves as a resort, it was possible the people going back to the room without completely dried after swimming. They should consider the removal of carpet. Besides, they really need to improve the Wifi. It only worked if we stood at the corridor.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jelloman526
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel was the people, so helpful, polite, nice.
The room was ok. Clean and next to the lobby. The “resort fee” ($24) is worth it; it includes parking, beach chairs, towels, water...
The bar/restaurant is also great. Food there was pretty good, really cool band.
There is no elevator to go up to the second floor, which is an inconvenience if you have a lot of luggage like we did, however, the staff was ready to lend us a hand.
We enjoyed the beach right in front of the property very much, perfect temperature.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

We live in Clearwater and have returned weekly for the past two months.

The rooms a clean, the property is well maintained and every employee goes out of their way to see that every guest has a wonderful experience. I wish I could name each of them. Simply an amazingly well run organization.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple