“Vacation Nightmare!”

Days Inn St Augustine West
Ranked #68 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 21 February 2017

We booked this trip last minutes so most decent hotels were sold out already. My husband has a benefits program through work that we often use to book hotel and this one came up. Against my better judgement as I have never had a great experience w/ Days Inn/Comfort Inn/Quality Inn etc, I went ahead and booked the room. We booked a NON SMOKING Room. I don't know which was the trigger for the hotel to #1 put us in the worst room they had and a smoking room on top of that. #2 first room was so disgusting that I almost threw up. It was late and I was almost in tears. Bugs all over the sink, hairs in sink on bathroom floor that was clearly unmopped, unvacuumed floor, that is just a start, but the room wreaked of smoke. No way a non smoker could even tolerate 1 night. So I went down and asked for another room explaining we booked Non Smoking. #3 The front desk person was nice enough but put us two doors down from the room we were originally in. I was doubtful this was going to be an improvement and guess what? #4 Worse than the first, toilet paper stuck to the floor, stain on the bed skirt, nightstand not cleaned off, drink ring and something sticky stuck on it. Full size fridge in room???? #5 Bugs, bugs and more bugs! #6 You guess it, wreaked of smoke!!! Down we go and this time I asked what it was going to take to get a NON SMOKING room that was not from 1980! The front desk person puts us in an updated room. I guess it was supposed to be better. Turned on the air, now the room smells like pee! #7 and yes, bugs, bugs, bugs. Updated bedding, furniture somewhat updated is all you get and updated paint, but still very unclean. At this point I guess you are wondering why we stayed. Well there were no other hotels available and we needed the break. However, every night we tried to sleep there, all I felt was bugs crawling on me so we could not sleep. The hotel was far from sold out, so why they did not give us a better room to start, i have no earthly idea! #8 Most Days Inn offer at least a continental breakfast. Not so here. They are attached to a very dirty, poorly managed IHOP. The staff are too busy watching the lobby TV to really concern themselves with manning the front desk or doing anything remotely like work. Lastly, as sad as this is going to sound because I like to be fair, the establishment is owned by a Mr. Patel. Mr. Patel, I would like to say to you, that this is NOT how we do things in America. American's do not enjoy sleeping with bugs and in unclean rooms. If you cannot afford to update your hotel perhaps you downgrade this establishment to a motel. You are part way there by offering weekly rates as I understand from your front desk person who explained that the reason the rooms were different is that the outdated disgusting room we originally had was a weekly rented room. Why would you put a traveler in that room? Was it because we had a CORPORATE RATE. If so, do you thing Corporations would pay to stay in such an establishment? Certainly NOT! Sadly, you started our poor impression of St. Augustine and set the tone for the rest of our miserable stay. Sadly we won't be traveling back to St. Augustine. We now have a very bad taste in our mouths for not only the city, but the locals as well.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms up near the front. Avoid the back of the hotel. Really, choose another hotel if at a...

Reviewed 20 February 2017

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2017

This property was grossly overrated on the internet. Room was spartan there was black mold in the bathroom and the door to the unit didn't close properly. The pool looked nice from a distance but it was dirty and unkept. The motel is so close to Interstate 95 that all we heard was traffic noise well into the night. Beds were small and mattresses had seen better days. I wouldn't stay here again on a bet.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Front desk could be more helpful in guiding guests to nearby restaurants etc. It would be a great standard for all hotels/motels to offer a simple laminated map listing nearby restaurants with addresses plus a TV listing on the reverse.

Reviewed 8 February 2017