“Go there for the lasagna”

Italian Kitchen & Cafe
Ranked #6 of 138 Restaurants in Riverview
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 December 2016

We returned to this restaurant because we have been so impressed by it when we went there a year before. So having the opportunity to spend two days in the same area, we gave it a real test.

On the first evening, we ordered a classic lasagna and a grilled chicken bruschetta and as we did twelve months before, we were very please by our choices. My personal favorite is the lasagna. You may think that is is hard to miss a lasagna but believe me, some can but not the Italian Kitchen and Cafe. A perfect combination of pasta, cheese and home made sauce. A pure delice for me. My sister was also please with her chicken. Tasty, tender, an almost perfect combination of flavors even though I would have probably add more black olives. We have been lucky with our choice of wine but unfortunately, I do not remember its name. The service was attentive and efficient. An almost perfect evening what made us full of hopes for our second evening.

But we were wrong. The problem was that it was crowdier on Saturday night but there was not enough people to handle the workload even though they had some help from a third employee. So we waited a lot more. Not only that but some people arrived after us or coming inside only to pickup their meals were served way ahead of us and this is something I can barely stand. Not that i am that picky but when it is so evident and you feel abandonned, enjoying a nice dinner becomes a lot more difficult.

And the meals were not as good. My fettucine Alfredo was not really creamy and its flavor was just OK. Deceiving given our high expectations. Not highly ranked in the fettucinis alfredo I had in my life. My sister chosed the cafeland and sea ultimate pasta (not sure about the title) and she was also deceived. A strange combination and a lack of flavors we were not used to in this place. So we quited the place a lot less enthusiastic after waiting long for our bill. Very deceiving.

So go there for the classic lasagna but try to avoid crowdy nights.

Reviewed 2 December 2016

This is a great little mom & pop place hidden away next to a grocery store. Delicious food and more than we could eat. Excellent service and a great value. You'll love the Italian Kitchen.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

What a surprise treat in a Winn Dixie shopping plaza! The decor is intimate and cozy. Service was impeccable. Food, bread very tasty and authentic. Prices very reasonable. $12-16 for dinner plate with bread. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 6 October 2016

Italian Kitchen is a small niche of Italy both in decor and food. For 19 years this restaurant has served a variety of your Italian favorites. I had a dish of bow tie pasta and a lemon pesto sauce with chicken that tingled your taste buds. My friend had a light tomato sauce with pasta; her comment that the past was cooked perfectly. Can't wait to go back and try some of their other dishes. Our server was personable and knowledgeable about the menu as well.

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Nice little place. I ordered the Chicken Piccata. The sauce had a nice lemon taste and the pasta was good. The two chicken breasts that came with it were very dry and thin. The employees were very friendly. I did not complain about the dryness of the chicken. When I tried to decide between the Tiramisu or the Cannoli, the server gave me a small cannoli for free if I purchased the Tiramisu. The Tiramisu was really good, but the Cannoli was even better, I should have ordered the bigger Cannoli.