“Hadn't eaten here in over a year”
Review of Marina Oyster Barn

Marina Oyster Barn
Ranked #119 of 695 Restaurants in Pensacola
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We went to The Marina Oyster Bar for lunch today as we just wanted some mullet. Our timing was set sa as to skip the lunch crowd so we arrived at1:30 PM. With just a few of us eating at this time there were plenty of tables and it has a nice view of Bayou Texar.
Upon giving our order to our server we were served a plate with 4 Hush-puppies as an appetizer. Our drinks were brought out and in just a few more minutes our lunch was served freshly prepared. We Ordered the Luncheon mullet plate ($8.95) that came with two sides so we had fries and Cheese grits and both had cole slaw. The mullet is fried a little bit different than I do as I use only corn meal and they use a Corn flour, which was tasted. The cold slaw is like a bunch of cubed cabbage with a lighter dressing, the fries have seasoned flour mixture on them. The cheesy Grits were very good also. Being we each drink water our bill was under $20. Very good meal for this price and the mullet tasted fresh.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Being the son of a fourth-generation Pensacola native, and a seafood and oyster nut, I always chose this place for my "Seafood Shack" fix when in the area. After a recent visit, I probably have taken the cure. Since I'm nearing 70, there have probably been a few changes in management and it shows in the menu. I ordered the fried shrimp and they came out Tempura Style.....this was still a hanging offense prior to the early 1950's. Plates for evening service have gone to 3-compartment paper plates, but the silverware is not plastic yet. $15.00 for the shrimp plate and the cook was not able to fill the small side-order compartments because the plate couldn't "take the pressure". Tempura-style batter was an excellent sponge for the frying oil but did not add much to the flavor of the shrimp. Hush puppies were precooked about an hour ago and came from a foil pan with an aluminum-foil cover set out on the counter....No heat lamp. I watched the oyster shucker shuck my wife's oysters and the waitress brought them over immediately. They were about 10 degrees cooler than room temperature of approximately 78 degrees. This may still be a hanging offense! Cheese grits used to be the best in Pensacola....not any more. Experience did not hurt my mouth as much as it hurt my Heart....A very old and pleasant memory dying a very sad death.

2  Thank c w
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Well we had heard from several friends about this restaurant. The highlight was the only waitress working who was literally running to get the job done.
We ordered oyster stew and some fried seafood. The oysters in the stew were over cooked and had a rubbery texture. The shrimp were battered which I did not care for. Most restaurants in the area only lightly dust them with corn meal. The fried oysters were also overcooked. Well we won't be back.

1  Thank John D
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I called to make reservations the lady said they don't take reservations then hung up without a good bye. So we go anyway. There were lots of people waiting. I ask the hostess how long the wait would be and she couldn't give me a time with attitude in her voice. I'm all about supporting local businesses but this one will not get my business.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

My husband and I make sure that every time we are in Pensacola, we make a special trip to Marina Oyster Barn. He used to do this just for me, but now he really enjoys it for himself. When I used to live here in the 70's, I used to come with my family almost weekly for the Mullet. It still brings back wonderful memories of dinner with my parents, who are no longer with me. So glad that things have not changed much with this restaurant. Even though they have had to redo the inside several times, due to hurricanes...it is pretty much they way it was back then.
The Mullet has always been my favorite and is still wonderful! My husband really likes the Grouper and orders it each and every time. As always, wait staff is always great and attentive. This will continue to be a trek for us with every trip back home!