“Food and Service very good - ambiance less compelling”
Review of Big Italy - Pizza & Pasta - CLOSED

Big Italy - Pizza & Pasta
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Pasta Factory Restaurant is the first Italian restaurant in the IDrive District in Orlando to offer more than 100 different combination of pizza and more than 50 pasta dishes, all with an authentic and fresh Southern Italian flair. The pizzas are thin-crust, prepared in a wood-fired oven, as the Roman tradition demands. The menu also includes truly Italian appetizers, salads and delicious desserts. Choose your wine from our selected list of wines! The Pasta Factory Restaurant is a contemporary/informal dinning restaurant featuring a full bar with sports monitors, a private room with 25 seats. Open daily from 11.30 am until 11.00 pm
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We had looked through a number of options for Dinner and had discarded several as they were closed on Sundays. We both enjoy Italian food so, when Big Italy popped up on our Search, we thought we'd give it a try. I called to see if we'd need a reservation but was assured none was necessary.

We arrived about a quarter to six. We were quickly seated at a table and Paul came to take our drinks' order. There was a good choice including San Bernadetto sparkling water and Peroni beer. My wife had a speciality tea.

We then chose a meat platter for Antipasto and a Zucchini soup. Both were very tasty and we were also given complimentary bread and pesto. The meat (and Pecorino) had been freshly sliced and were all the better as a result.

For our Entrees I had a Cosenza Pizza and my wife had her "test dish" of spaghetti carbonara. My Pizza was beautifully thin with plenty of meat and bacon as well as good mozzarella. My only slight criticism in terms of total authenticity was that there was a little too much topping and it was round rather than the Roman ellipse. But I am well aware that some clients would otherwise complain about too little topping and its shape!

The Spaghetti Carbonara was very good indeed with plenty of bacon and just the right amount of sauce. The pasta was al dente and my wife's plate had no sauce left in it at the end of her meal.

We had home-made Cannelloni and they were also very good with a delicious chocolate drizzle. We declined coffee but we were provided with some water "to go" to allow my wife to take some medication - a thoughtful gesture.

The ambiance was rather quiet and reminiscent of a sports bar. It was also lacking diners and that is both a shame and surprising considering the quality of the food. There were some sports programmes on the big TVs but we enjoyed the Trivia and "cartoon" about Italy in comparison to the EU.

Paul was attentive and pretty well informed. We've lived in Italy and have friends from that country who are experienced and senior chefs so the Restaurant was under some pressure.

We enjoyed our food and would be happy to return to try more of the Menu. It was a shame that it was not more busy. It is neither cheap nor expensive and we paid just under $88 with the Service at 18% already added for convenience.

As well as speciality pizzas they have a good range of meat and fish dishes and also plenty of options for vegetarians. They can also provide gluten free pasta which will appeal to some. In summary a genuine Italian meal with good quality ingredients and generally well put together. It's not fine dining and a touch on the pricey side for some I guess but we would certainly recommend it.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Judging by the other reviews, we must have caught Big Italy on a good day because, after pulling in on impulse from the hell that is International Drive, we found both the food and the service to be very good.
After all the fried and bland food this area has to offer we found this meal such a welcome change, full of flavour and hot. The menu was varied and the waitress extremely friendly and helpful.
The wine was rather overpriced per glass but the food an average price.
We are only sorry we did not find this restaurant earlier in our holiday as we would certainly have called back.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I dont get The good reviews of this restaurant. What is going on with you people?
The pizza is a flat bread with a spread of tomato sauce, one tomato per slice and 1/4 piece of prosciuto, please this is really bad.
Pasta nothing spectacular and The waiter was in a very very bad mood so I did not take a chance for desert.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Really good Italian food in a place you wouldn't expect it. Waiter Jake R. was professional and friendly. Food was tasty, hot, and huge portions. Will def come back to try the pizza next time

1  Thank Keith L
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The first time me n My husband visited the server was super friendly; she understood what we ordered and things were fine. We left a decent 15% tip and the server made face like .......thats it?? Bt for 1 ice tea n 2 entrees of pasta 15% was reasonable. Next time we went after 1 month for a pizza. Another server did not know nothing. He was just starring in face. My sangria arrived after 25 mins. Pizza arrived after 45 mins. Our glasses were not filled. The server was busy talking to other customers who were regular. It was like extortion for not tipping more.
Now about food. It tastes good. Quantity is bit less. Quality is good but the attitude of servers sucks.

2  Thank Charms S