“A great place for a UK tourist”

Oak Ridge Gun Range
Ranked #14 of 253 Fun & Games in Orlando
Reviewed 15 September 2017

With the very strict, and I will say totally correct gun control in the UK, it is difficult to use fire arms recreationally as a rule. As such whist in Orlando for our recent family holiday I decided to take the opportunity to visit Oak Ridge Gun Range. Having left everyone else relaxing around the pool I visited on my penultimate morning and after very little time and just a few formal questions found myself on the firing range with a 9mm Sig Sauer blasting away at a target 40ft away. What an experience, it really is a must do. For just $130 I had the pleasure to spend a morning shooting 50 rounds on the Sig Sauer, 50 rounds in a .44 Magnum which is like holding a cannon and then splitting 50 more shells between a commando rifle and a Glock handgun. The freedom afforded to me by the range operators was a breath of fresh air and having fired shotguns before in the UK was impressed by the relaxed stance they took. A must do visit whilst in Florida

All reviews
in 24 reviews
"ammo"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed 9 September 2017

My two sons and I had a very enjoyable time at this shooting range. We fired a number of different guns at a reasonable cost. The instructor Jennifer was very knowledgeable and extremely patient.

We would certainly do this again on a return visit.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Thought this would be a good change from the norm and we were not disappointed . I arrived with my wife and kids a 19yr old 14yr old and 12 yr old .
The staff were excellent and as they were quiet let us all on one lane
He then started the safety and basic weapons training with my kids he was very patient and kept them 're assured .
After this we began making our way through our box of ammo .once completed we moved from our pistol to ar15 and then back to a glock pistol. Our whole experience was less than $150 which is better priced than all of the other ranges we priced . All in all it was a great morning and my wife and I will defo return without the kids

1  Thank Ronin S
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

We had such a great time here, everyone was really helpful and the facilities were great. We shot 3 different guns, and really enjoyed doing something that we can't do in the UK. Thank you :)

3  Thank LCT75
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

My second review, the last being some years back, but the boys were keen to go again.

Went with wife, and boys 18 and 15 yr old. Production of Driving Licence or Passport allows you to use the range, rent a gun and buy the ammo. Amazing for us Brits to comprehend how easy it is. Staff were excellent, had a good sense of humour and were professional.

It looks like a small shop from outside but has an indoor range attached. Don't be worried about sticking out as a tourist. There were three lots of us there on the Tuesday afternoon we visited.

You are asked if you have used a gun before, if not then a short bit of tuition is provided. Then it is off to the range with eye and ear defenders and the firearm and ammunition in a basket to make it clear it is not loaded etc.

We started with a .357 magnum semi automatic pistol. My wife and youngest were taken aback at the kick and recoil and it is fair to say that if you are new to handguns you may be best starting with a low Calibre to learn the ropes.

We then progressed to a 9mm Uzi short rifle (carbine) which has less kick and more accuracy. Then we tried a Beretta 9mm carbine.

It costs, but to be fair it was no more than a meal out for the four of us and we did buy three boxes of ammo, pay for four people to go on the range and rented three guns. Probably about $30 a head in total.

Warning - don't pretend you know what you are doing if you have never handled a gun before. They are happy to help and don't really expect us Brits to know what we are doing. I have a few years experience with firearms but I did grimace at a party of Brits there clearly without a clue but pretending otherwise. Luckily the shop staff realised the situation and went on the range with them.

Not a glamorous hour and a half but it is good for us to be reminded just how powerful and deadly guns are, it is not like a video game and my boys both appreciate the reality of guns and give them the appropriate respect.

Well recommended as an experience while taking a break from the theme parks.

8  Thank mickthemunch