“A.C. Over ride”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #125 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 4 June 2006

We was there last November 2005 for a week so it wasn't that hot so the rooms temp was nice and did not have the need to worry. But this year we are going the end of July for 2 weeks. On another website about Disney I found a way of over riding the A.C. to turn the temp lower, here is What it said. "on the thermostat push the power button and the down arrow (that adjusts the temperature) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly there will be the letters "bp" where the temp #s usually are. You are now bypassing the room sensors. You can set the temperature whereever you want and it keeps it that cold whether or not you're in the room. You may have to do this once a day if the system resets." I hope this works.

• Stayed: November 2005
14  Thank UKVermonter
Write a ReviewReviews (10,883)

A TripAdvisor Member
howell, nj
Reviewed 3 June 2006

I was looking for a cheap place to stay for a week with my best friend. This hotel was clean and had a friendly staff. The rooms are small and i would assume it would not be comfortable with more than two people in the room. For me and my friend...this room was perfect! Try requesting the 60's building (u have to pay $50 more a night) or the 70's building...the 50's, 80's and 90's buildings are a very far walk from the main building. The dinning area was great...there was a plethora of food choices not to mention it was open until midnight! There are three pools that are VERY clean and heated. Overall I had a wonderful time at this hotel and will return for a third time. If you are looking for a clean hotel that is not your typical disney priced hotels...then this one is perfect!!!

• Stayed: November 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 May 2006

It's not a bad way to economise at Disney but make sure it will suit your needs.

Check-in was a nightmare. First, the resort is very sprawling so there's a lot of walking just to get around the resort. Second, the front desk gave us a handy map to our room, complete with room number, but coded our keys for the wrong room. Of course there's no number listed for the front desk so one of us spent a whole lot of cell phone minutes trying to deal with Disney HQ--a lost effort right there--while the other one trudged back in the hot sun to the desk. Not a good start.

The amenities were basic but quite sufficient. The rooms are somewhat small but very clean and decorated cutely. We aren't fussy travellers so we really were happily suprised by how comfortable it was. The one real problem was NOISE. The rooms are minimally soundproofed so slamming doors and very clear plumbing noises from adjoining rooms were very annoying. I read reviews here so went prepared with a set of ear plugs--and needed them.

The pools were nice. Nothing fancy but very convenient and well maintained. Just be prepared for the thematic pop hits relentlessly broadcast rather loudly across the area. After an hour I was ready to rip speakers out of the shrubbery.

The food court is a zoo but efficient.. It's basically a warehouse with clever decorative elements disguising its nature. The lines mover very quickly, however, and we were pleasantly suprised by the food. It was basic but pretty decent for fast, mass-produced fare. We mostly grabbed light breakfasts there (and ate outside on the patio where it's less frenzied) and a few snacks to take with. We went to other resort restaurants--easy to do on the shuttles--for real meals. (Boma and Cafe Kona were great!)

It's a good place to stay for the price, though it fell down as a restful place to crash at night. Disney would have been better advised to skp some cutesy elements in favor of better basic construction.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2006

I booked three rooms several months in advance. I had requested two double bed rooms connecting and on separate King bed all non-smoking. We were staying for three nights the Sun-Wed before Memorial Day - according to the Disney web-site not a peak time.

The Pop Century is huge. It is divided up into 1050's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's theming. Each theme has its own building. The 1960's are the "preferred" rooms which cost $10-20/night extra. This building is closest to the Food Court, check in and bus transports to the theme parks. I highly recommend the preferred rooms. Also, ask or request a room away from poolside - the pool is open until 11 pm and it is really noisy all hours.

My reservations were for the preferred rooms, but apparently the reservations were all screwed up. Nothing I had reserved was in order. They did resolve this but it took some time (and time away from the pool!). By the pool they do not provide towels, so I had to go back up to the room and try to find towels for my family (remember we had three rooms = lots of people). The a.c in the room which was on the coldest it could go and the highest it could go was not very comfortable/cool.

Next, after traveling all day to get to Disney I wanted a drink (with alcohol). There is only one bar (outside of the food court). However, there was only one bartender so plan on 10 minutes wait for a drink because apparently I wasn't the only one wanting a beer.

My overall complaint about Pop Century and just Disney in general is that everything seems like such an effort whether it be checking in, getting to the parks, getting a Fast Pass, trying to sit down to a restaurant. We had "reservations" for all our dinners at various restaurants and not one was treated as a traditional reservation. At the Mexico restaurant in EPCOT I was told the reservation is a "wait list". Once I check in for my reservation your name is put on the bottom of the list for next available tables. It is not as if they are holding a table for you, and traveling with 10 people that table for 10 doesn't come up quickly! We even offered to split up to no avail. The reservation system is truly a joke.

Pop Century is inexpensive and it is truly just that: cheap. Our family has decided that instead of spending all this money for a fake Mexico or Canada in Epcot we are going to the real Mexico or Canada next year and not wasting our money for crowds, finding towels, waiting in line for Dumbo, waiting 25 minutes for a "reservation". We are done with fake reality with our real money.

51  Thank Brklynrider
Reviewed 26 May 2006

My family and I just returned from Disney World on May 24, 2006. We were there for 7 days. We decided to book a value resort and stay a few extra days. Our original play was for 4 days. Overall Pop Century was fine. We took this trip to celebrate my son's 1st birthday. Although we knew he won't remember a blessed thing, we thought it would be fun. We also have a 4 year old daughter who was beyond ready for her Disney trip. Here are the few problems we encountered: 1st, when we booked the trip in February we asked if they did anything special for a childs birthday. They said that they send balloons and a card from the childs favorite character to the room on their special day. Mickey and friends also call on your birthday to sing you "Happy Birthday". Perfect we thought, so they made a note on our reservation. When we checked in on May 18, 2006 we mentioned again that tomorrow (5/19) was my sons birthday. They said they had it noted. Well, to make a long story short my sons birthday came and went and no balloons, card or phone call. I went down to the concierge desk on 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, and they assured me that they were on their way. Still no sign of anything. Then on 5/22 I called downstairs again and finally found someone who cared. She apologized up and down (even though it wasn't her fault) and assured me they would be arriving today. Sue enough they were there when we got back from the park that night. The moral of this story is Thank God my son is only 1 and has no idea what is going on. If that was my 4 year old, it would be a completelydifferent story. The reason I was so agitated is because Disney always makes these grand promises and doesn't keep them. This whole balloon idea was mentioned to my husband upon making reservations. It was not a special request. The 2nd thing that disturbed me which is much more important than balloons is that there were no outlet covers on any of the electrical outlets in our room. I found this very bizarre for Disney. I would have to safely assume that at leat 75% of the guests have children in their room.
As for location, we stayed in the 60's building. Very close to food court and buses. I would highly recommend. Overall, our trip was awesome. We've only been back for 2 days and are still trying to catch up on sleep.

23  Thank Maria B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
1.9 km away
3.4 km away
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
3.6 km away
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!