“Looks Like Fun but Rooms Not So Nice”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #134 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 11 June 2008

When you get here and check in, it gets you so excited to be in Disney. The lobby and shop is great looking, clean, friendly, and fun. Then you see the pool and the outside of the rooms and get beyond excited. The main pool was a blast to swim in, and the ambiance outside of the hotels was amazing. It was when you got into the room, you weren't sure what to think. Everything was definitely clean, but it definitely seemed older. The sheets and towels were very thin. So were the walls. Even though this is a non-smoking resort, someone nearby was smoking at around 11PM, which easily came through the room vents. I just did not feel like I was having the Disney experience that I wanted (and even though I said the room was clean, I did not feel "clean") and moved up to a higher resort the next evening.

Even so, it was not that bad. The staff was nice, helpful, etc., the pool was amazing, and the grounds were clean and gorgeous. I would recommend a different place to sleep, however.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank adellel
There are newer reviews for Disney's Pop Century Resort

Reviewed 11 June 2008

My husband and I are Disney enthusiasts who had visited Orlando multiple times. However, this was our first time staying in an actual Disney hotel. We choose the Pop Century because it best fit our budget.

Our initial concerns were that the hotel would be a little tacky and I suppose that is down to each individual's taste. We were pleasantly surprised though, and found the hotel to be a fun place to stay. The large Disney figurines and other decorations are obviously aimed at children, but if you're a big kid at heart then you might enjoy them as much as we did.

In summary, what we liked about the hotel:
1. Friendly staff (Always helpful and anxious to provide quickest service possible)

2. Disney's Magical Express Service (Hassle-free for us and saves a lot of money for the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. Just be sure and pack a change of clothes in your carry-on since it can take around 3-5 hours for your luggage to arrive at your hotel room.)

3. Souvenir mugs (You buy them in the food court. They cost about $13 per mug and you can refill them at your hotel as much as you like at the soda fountain, for the duration of your stay. They can also be filled with hot chocolate, coffee, etc. With the cost of sodas there, you easily make your money back in 5-6 refills.)

4. The food offered was simple but good (Ideal for children and plain-eating adults. Cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, sloppy joes, Asian salads, pastries, hot dogs, etc).

5. Free bus service to all Disney parks (More money saved and they run every 20 minutes)

6. A rather large arcade, 3 large & separate pools, nice souvenir shop

7. We were not stalked by time share salespeople

8. Poolside safety (There was always a lifeguard on duty during pool hours and life vests were provided by the pool for children)

9. Clean & well-kept grounds

10. Family atmosphere

11. Alcohol available for adults in the food court as well as the pool side bar at the main pool area (The poolside bar had a few tv's with sports being broadcasted)

12. Extra park hours (If you're willing to get up an extra hour early, you can enter certain parks on certain days before non-Disney hotel guests are allowed in. We found this to be enough time to hit our favorite rides with little to no-wait time before the parks got really busy.)

13. Kiddie fountain and small playground for smaller kids

14. Not too noisy, but you can hear people by the pool if your hotel room is facing a pool

Our one and only complaint was that there is no wireless internet access in the rooms. A high speed cable is provided in the room and you must connect your computer, then pay $10 for 24 hour access to the net. After your 24 hours has expired, then you must pay another $10 for another 24 hours access. But honestly, this was our only complaint for the entire trip. We're pretty happy with that.

We took photos of the hotel and our room. We will be uploading them in the next few days.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LinYPablo
Reviewed 7 June 2008

My husband and I stayed there for three nights and enjoyed the stay. The best part was the Magical Express, it picked us up at the airport and we were the first to be dropped off. I am not sure if that is the order everytime, but if it is thats great. The room was more than big enough for the both of us and the staff were very friendly. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sshaaban26
Reviewed 7 June 2008

I stayed with my nine year old son at Pop Century June 2-5, 2008. Overall it was a great stay. The cast members (with the exception of most of the food court cashiers) were extremely friendly. We stayed in building 2 in the 1950's area. The rooms are small but not unbearable. The pools were huge and their was always plenty of room. Hint: if you dont like crowds go to the bowling pin or computer pool.The Hippy Dippy pool was always very crowded. I notice alot of people complain about the food court. The prices were kind of high but not too bad. Their is a large selection of food for all tastes. It was never very crowded. Though the hotel does warn the hours of 8am to 10am can become busy. The transportion to and from the parks is wonderful and easy. We never waited more than 15 minutes and always got right on. Another hint: the luggage service to your room is very very slow. My flight arrived in Orlando at 7:30pm but my luggage did not arrive until 7:30 am the next morning. I went to the luggage services and the person told me they quit delivering luggage when it becomes too late. The Magical express also a very nice perk of staying on Disney property. It is a about a 30 minute ride to the airport. The drivers are very nice and they show a movie each way to help your travel expreience. I would stay at this resort again. If you are going for the parks it can save you alot of money.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank mjsquirrel
Reviewed 6 June 2008

stayed 3 days last week of may. hotel has plenty of eye candy with the larger than life icons. staff for check in was very helpful and took care of any requests i had including an early check in at 10 am.

my only complaints are as follows:
1. no enforcement of pool closing hours. folks when it is 2 am in the morning you need to be in the bed. however if you feel the need to swim the last time I checked, when done properly, swimming doesnt involving yelling, screaming and loud laughing and talking. why do people have to be so rude and inconsiderate? it took 4 phone calls to the front desk before security finally came and made them get out.

2. extra magic hour for the mornings is a bunch of crap for resort guests. we drove our own car on the property, arrived at the monorail station at 750, and we didnt get on a monorail until 810. the ferryboat wasnt running at all. if you are going to offer an extra benefit to your on property guests, make it useable. i shouldnt have to leave my hotel an hour early to get in at 8am

3. at $109.00 a night i expect a lot more from the room that I am staying in than what pop century offered. I paid for marriott and got the RED Roof Inn room.

next time I will stay off property and get a nicer room for about 40 / 50 bucks cheaper a night. I really love Disneyworld but they could do a lot better on their value resort prices let alone the prices they charge for the Polynesian!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank bamatide12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
3.4 km away
1.9 km away
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
3.0 km away
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!