“The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly”

Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Ranked #25 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Crewe, United Kingdom
“The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Good;
Great activities range of on site for children. We particularly enjoyed the bike trail around the extensive grounds, and the "big slide" whilst not all that big (its certainly no "Plummet Summit !) did give a better thrill ride than your average pool slide, due to its better than average acceleration rate towards the end.The heated pool is warm and open 24 hours.
The only really decent capable member of staff we found at this hotel was Ben from Austraila - very on top of his job; so very kind, friendly and helpful - I hope that The Hyatt will recognise what a superb member of staff they have in this guy.
Bad;
We did not have a great "first impressions" experience at this hotel - We were suposed to have a 'Lake View' room. First off, without warning they put us in a room at the back of the hotel (an entrance/drive view). When we found this out, on entering the room, we went down to complain and they said they would put us in a 'lake view' room but there would be no access to the balcony. We said fine, we weren't bothered about a balcony, but on entering our 'lake view' room they failed to mention that this section was under major rennovation, complete with builders' gantrys everwhere on this section, their ropes dangling past the windows, and a large "DO NOT ENTER" sticker posted across our window ! So this is why there was no entry to the balcony - nice of them to mention it. Another trip to reception ensued - not what you want when you first arrive at a hotel all tired with kids and waiting to unpack. We complained again as we didn't think we should expect a "building site view" - not for the money the Hyatt is charging. By this time I was dreading speaking to the receptionists - they just have that way of making you feel YOU are the problem, not the hotel ! I spoke to another receptionist - he did a half hearted look through inventory and (rather) quickly concluded there were no other rooms on the "pool view" side. So we were stuck - with nothing more than an apology offered. As we were only staying 2 days we put up with it - if it had been more I'd have booked out there and then, and although we had to contend with workmen going past our window and looking in on us each day (yes really - we are talking about The Hyatt here) we could at least console ourselves with a view of the Disney fireworks each night.
Pool side food was stone cold, and the kids breakfast (we had free adult breakfast) was expensive...especially by the time you add the tips. On reflection we should have gone 2 minutes down the road to Sizzlers $4.99 all you can eat breakfast, and still would have been better off paying for 4 breakfasts there !
The Ugly;
The $33 daily compulsory resort & self parking fee and 18% automatic gratuity on your food & drinks ! Please don't tell me this is competative Hyatt - we stayed at the Orlando Hilton and your charges are way above those, and the staff & service were way better !
Whilst the lobby area is beautiful, if I had a child under 10 years I would not be staying here - it is a health & safety ticking timebomb. I would love to know what Safety Inspector approved this building's design - it is so easy for an inquisitive/unattended child to climb up & fall over the railings of open plan walkways, which look down from great height into the open lobby below. Right up to the 15th floor, there is one heck of an open drop - it gave me the shudders everytime we walked past this section, even though my kids are 11 and 14 years old ! What madness for a hotel design within such a prime family holiday area ?

In conclusion we spent 2 days at the Orlando Hilton at the start of our trip and I was so upset with our treatment and being nickeled & dimed that I wished that I had rebooked to go there instead.We won't be returning.

Room Tip: Be aware that all the "Lake View" section has major renovation work being done at the mome...
9 Thank jdybnsn
HotelManagerHRGC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for your review from your recent stay. I am sorry that your experience was not up to our normal standards. The renovation that you referred to is simply a re-painting of the exterior of the hotel. It was unfortunate that your room was in the particular area where painting was in process. If you would care to further discuss your stay, please contact the Hotel Manager at Grand Cypress.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress for a conference. The lobby is beautiful and check in was quick. My room was ready when I arrived. The room was of a high standard. Bed was very comfortable. Everything that I needed was there. The pool are is beautiful. Transportation is provided to the theme parks if you don't have a car. There are several restaurants at the hotel and they are all expensive. In the morning the lobby bar serves breakfast, also outrageously expensive - $13 for a yogurt parfait and tea. A rental car would pay for itself when you left the facility to eat! The conference center is very well taken care of.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank livetotravelNJ
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have stayed in this hotel many times. It was recenly upgraded and the rooms look very good and more modern that the previous florida/key west decoration.

It has a great restaurant, Hemingways, where you get gourmet food and magnificent service. The property is very nice, it has 3 pools, one heated; it also offers bikes, ping pong table, rock climbing and boats.

Breakfast buffet at Cascades is very good, with a wide variety of offerings.

The only compaints are that I was not able to sail in the lake, since they did not have a power boat to assist guests. I have been able to sail every time we visited in the past so this was dissappointing.

The gym is small and there was a line to use the treadmills, and some family had a child using the exercise equipment, and last but most important, they have a very unpleasant doorman by the name of Dave, who is very rude to guests if you do not let him take care of your suitcases, since he only cares about his tip.

Other than these 3 areas, it is the best hotel in Orlando. is right next to Disneyworld and centrally located regarding restaurants, highways and even the premium outlets.

I must clarify that I brought up most of my complaints to one of the managers who was extremely nice and professional, and took out the resort charges without us asking.

It is unfortunate that I had to deal with the rude doorman after I spoke with the manager, and not before, so I could have mentioned to him. Even worst, I had had the same negative experience with the same doorman a couple of times before during previous stays.

Just remember to self-park so you do not have to deal with any staff who is not prepared and willing to be respectful and polite with guests

Room Tip: Rooms with Lake view are very nice
6 Thank marplalatino
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and son (22 months) just stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress for our fourth time this past holiday weekend. As always, we are amazed at the value you get for staying at this hotel compared to some of the comparable Disney hotels (Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian). The room was really big, clean and they have all been recently updated.

The staff always makes you feel welcome (don't forget to have your champagne when you check in) and the grounds are beautiful. They seem to have a lot more property than many of the other resorts, and with multiple pools, bicycles, pitch and putt golf, and many other activities, we ended up staying at the resort for two of the days.

The only negatives I can think of - and they aren't so horrible - is the self-parking lot is a hike from the hotel and you need to be careful about when the servers add gratuity to your bill.

Even saying that, I will continue to stay here as I find it one of the best deals in Orlando.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the Disney Parks. You will be able to see the fireworks over EPCOT and...
2 Thank born2travel1968
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. A welcoming staff sets the tone for what will become a great stay ! We strive to provide attentive service so our guests feel comfortable and relaxed. When it comes to value, the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is hard to beat. We offer 1500 acres with world class golf and tennis facilities along with plenty of outdoor activities for the entire family. Our rates are very competitive with much more to choose from here at the resort. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you return soon.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I loved this hotel!!!I wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy everything this resort offers!!!!The hotel is beautifully landscaped,the pool area is amazing,the staff is one of the nicest I`ve ever met.
We had breakfast included in our package,and it was marvelous.The plain yogurt itself was worth coming.
My only complaint is the dry wall in the bathroom ,it was so thin that I could heard my next door neighboor sneezing,talking,laughing and so on!!!

Room Tip: Atay at least 4 nights ,in order to enjoy this fantastic resort!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple