“Brilliant Day ...GET THERE EARLY... READ MY TIPS”

Universal's Volcano Bay
Ranked #241 of 457 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Water is Life. Life is Joy. That's the philosophy celebrated at Universal's Volcano Bay™ water theme park. It's the carefree attitude the fabled Waturi islanders have embraced on their Pacific isle for centuries. Now you can live the Waturi way at this all-new park where thrills and relaxation flow in perfect harmony.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Apologies for the massive review however got some tips for anyone planning a visit..

This park is amazing, we are a family of 4 from the UK our kids are teenagers we all agree that volcano bay was our best day so far in Orlando...there are a few issues with the park, here’s a few tips:
1.Purchase your ticket in advance.. this doesn’t guarantee entry though
2.Be at the car park no later than 9am...if you get there later it will probably be at capacity you also have to go through bag searches then there’s a bus ride from the car park to the park.
3.Take some food (there’s no problem doing this) we took bread, ham, cheese, crisps, fruit and water ...we’d had an early rise so this was our breakfast which we had when we got our sunbeds, so glad we did as we were all starving!!
4.You will be able to go into the park before 10am however you won’t be allowed on the rides nor get a subbed until 10am, the latter is just stupid however here’s my tip ... queue for a subbed at the ‘premium sunbed’ spot its on your left at the right hand side of the volcano wave pool .... you’ll definitely get a subbed as the queue here was tiny, however there did seem to be enough sunbeds for everyone so I wouldn’t worry too much.
The electronic wrist ‘thingys’ worked great...honestly they did ...we got on everything, some rides more than once...the punga racers were always ride now and in between we were in the wavepool, lazy river and the other we named the ‘crazy river’ which were all brilliant, you honestly shouldn’t struggle for things to do.
5.Stay all day we were there at 8.30 and left at 5.30 the park was really starting to empty so you’ll get in more rides later in the evening.
The kids ate at the park too... these were huge portions and they shared them with us so that was an extra bonus ... beers were $7 each so me and the hubby had a few of these throughout the day!
Again the electronic wrist thingys worked great ...this means your in a virtual queue so no queueing for a ride ... my advice is definitely go but do your prep as per my tips!

3  Thank 28Nic79
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal's Volcano Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad you felt our park was amazing. Due to Volcano Bay being a very popular park, it does reach capacity very early at times. We try not to over crowd the park for the safety and comfort of our Guests and Team Members. I always suggest bringing snacks and food with you, it is definitely a money and time saver! That is an awesome tip for all of our future Guests. I am so happy to hear that the TapuTapu system worked well for you. Some of our attractions are able to stay as a ride now which is awesome when you are waiting on a return time for a different attraction. I hope you still took the time to grab a spot for the Ohno Drop Slide as it is my favorite ride in the park! I am happy to hear you and the family enjoyed our food and drinks we had to offer! I hope you come back to visit us again soon.

- Molly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,086)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"moana"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The ONLY way to guarantee entry to this park is to either arrive at the entrance at 8am and stand in line until the doors open at 10am, or to buy a prepaid day ticket for a specific date ($85). Prepaid 'regular' (i.e. non date-specific) tickets will NOT guarantee entry if the park has reached full capacity (usually by 1030am!!!).

Once inside, though, this is an excellent water theme park, with some great rides and some lovely beach areas to relax on between rides. Refreshingly, visitors never have to wait in line to get on rides as everyone is issued an electronic wristband, which serves as a virtual queue...the wristband alerts the visitor to the time they need to make their way to the ride so they are then free to do something else until the time of their ride.

Thoroughly enjoyed our day at Volcano Bay apart from the entry issue.

1  Thank Louise C

Hi Louise,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. Our park can be very popular and for the comfort of our Guests in the park, we can reach capacity very early in the morning. I am so happy to hear you had an excellent time with us! The TapuTapu system allows you to reserve a return time so you do not have to spend your whole time waiting in a physical line. I hope you made your way over to our Ohyah & Ohno Drop Slides during your day as these are my favorite in the parks! I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We were worried about Volcano bay due to the number of negative reviews. However, we all agreed that this was the best water park we have ever been at. Recommend that you set up the app in advance, arrive early (ie before opening), sort out locker and payment for day on the wristband. Rides were fantastic, queues were ok and virtual queue system worked well. Always some rides available without having to book a time. Food was good with more choice and better service than Aquatica. Overall a fantastic family day out.

1  Thank BrianDS1

Hi Brian,

It sounds like you had an awesome time in the park! I am so happy to hear you think our water park is the best. I definitely agree with getting everything done early. Once you have your account set up and you get the locker sorted out, it is easy to enjoy your time there. I hope you were able to grab a return time for Ohyah and/or Ohno drop slides. These are my favorite ones in the park. I am so glad you loved the variety of our food. Thank you for your review and I hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I LOVE water parks and have been to many over the years so when I heard about this new water park I just knew I had to come. I was so excited to visit this park but there is defiantly room for improvement.

Pros
Great new rides which are thrillling
Great Hawaiian theme
Loads of restaurants choice
Warm water ( a lot of parks have cold water which I hate!)
Great transport from car park to water park ( very well organised )

Cons
Staff was quite unknowledgable - I asked questions about my fast pass and tapi tap ( line watch) which they didn’t know the answers too.

We waited a long time for lunch. It seemed well organised but didn’t work. We queued for the restaurant then we queued for our type of food then we queued to pay. The time we ate our food was cold. Also there are separate ques for what you are having so if one member of your family wanted pizza and another member wanted a burger you would have to que twice one for the pizza and then for the burger.

Virtual line system- I am completely sitting on the fence when discussing virtual line system. They give you a tapi watch which is a virtual line. You have to tap in to a ride you would like to go on. Then it says a wait time. While you wait you can go on the ride now slides while your waiting. Then your tapi watch vibrates and tells you to go to the slide you booked. One side of me thought this was good idea because you could be on other rides whilst waiting to go on a longer que ride. Another side of me doesn’t like it because you can only ‘book’ one ride at a time so you would have long waiting gaps between each ride. I did wonder would it not just be easier to que for rides like the traditional way.

MAJOR CON

We arrived at 10.15am when the park opened at 10. I have my elderly nan on holiday with us and she needed shade. There were NO beds or umbrellas by this time. I do not think this is acceptable. They charge you for private cabanas and premium seating. I don’t feel you should have to pay for seating when you have had to pay a lot to just get in the park. You need a lot of free seating and shade volcano bay!

Overall
Yes I would return and yes I had a great day with my family but there are major things that need to be improved on to make this park perfect. I just hope the staff of volcano bay take on board our comments.

Would there be so many cons if this was a Disney owned park?

1  Thank Julie J

Hi Julie,

I am so happy to hear that you thought our attractions were great! The theming of the park is personally my favorite part as I feel like I can be taken away to paradise. We do try to keep all of our pools temperature controlled so they are comfortable at any time of year. I am glad you found our transportation to the park was organized.

I apologize you felt our Team Members were unknowledgeable at the resort. Our Team Members go through training to understand the resort and to be informed on any information our Guests may need. I am sorry to hear about the long waits you experienced at our dining locations. We strive to be as efficient as possible while assisting the Guest, but I understand how disappointing the wait can be when you are ready to eat. Our TapuTapu system was made so you would be able to reserve a spot in line while you enjoy your day out of line. This way, instead of spending an hour waiting to get on the ride, you can walk and enjoy our pools instead. I am sorry to hear about the lack of seating and being unable to find a spot. We do limit the amount of people who enter the park per day for the comfort of our Guests, but I understand that the chairs may go fast in the morning. I will be sure to document your feedback and pass it along to the proper teams.

Thank you for taking the time to review and I hope you chose us as your vacation destination again in the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Volcano Bay seems like a great water park but the people in charge seem to not care that handicapped parents and grandparents take their children and grandchildren to water parks. There is no local parking, you have to take a bus. Ramps in the park are almost hidden and so long. There is a short escalator to enter the park or a 10 minutes uphill climb on a ramp. The children’s areas only offer beach chair or lounge chair seating which is way too short or close to ground for a handicapped person to sit in. I rented lounge chairs at a cost of $89 for a pair and I rented 2 pairs and asked when I reserved seating if I could get a standard chair in the area but there were none after standing for over an hour I was finally brought a dining chair. The difficulties in getting around and not having seating ruined our family water park trip.
Put in some standard sized tables and chairs in all your park areas for your handicapped guest.

2  Thank Vicki G B

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about our park. Our resort has been carefully designed, and our staff specifically trained, to provide equal accessibility to all of our Guests. I apologize that you experienced so many frustrations with our resort. I would love to speak to your further to hear more about your experience in the park. At your earliest convinenece, please contact the Guest Services Department by calling 407-224-4233 option 4 or via email at GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.