“Ideal location for disney”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
ct
“Ideal location for disney”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in building 6 and were given a corner room with a river view as an upgrade. Great location, 5 min from pool and a 10 min stroll to the pool at riverside. Taking the boat to disney village at night was so easy. Having a bus to get around the park was great. We just parked the car and forgot about it. The food court was ok. Glad we did not have to eat there a lot. We were only there 2 nights and our room did not get picked up. When we got back from our day at epcot the bed had not been made up. That was the only negative.

Room Tip: corner room had 2 windows, facing the river was quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vacmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Palm Beach County
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife & I love Disney World - we've been passholders for years - but it can get a little crazy. And that's one reason we love the French Quarter at Disney's Port Orleans Resort.

The French Quarter is built on a human scale. It's small, with quaint buildings clustered around walkable "streets." Trees and plantings line the walkways and courtyards between buildings. When you walk anywhere in the resort from your room, it feels more like you're strolling in a neighborhood.

The lakes that serve as centerpieces in most Disney resorts are nice, but the lack of one here adds to the feeling of coziness. And though the "Sassagoula River" borders the resort, it only borders it. (It bisects the much larger Riverside resort.)

The effect of all this is a quaint, cozy feel that no other Disney resort can match. Everything here is fairly close by - including the boat dock where you can catch a ride to Downtown Disney.

The rooms have been recently renovated, and everything is shiny and new. I'm not a big fan of the rock-hard mattresses, but otherwise love the new look. Renovations are currently under way in and around the main building... so the French Quarter will soon be almost completely "like new."

If you're looking for a cozy spot to stay at Disney, this is it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PBCGuy
Rosario, Argentina
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I recently took my 15 y.o. niece and 10 y.o. nephew for a 9-days vacation at WDW, and after careful consideration, chose to stay at POFQ. What a great choice! The hotel is the right size and with all the amenities we needed.
Our room was in building 3, close to the main building and bus stop, but since the resort is fairly small, I don't think there are bad buildings. Housekeeping was OK, but I can't say the kids left everything in their place, so it may have been some of a challenge to clean the room around their stuff! We got a couple of towel animals, the kids loved them!
My nephew loved the pool, and we all enjoyed some time there, even though the water wasn't as warm as we expected. I put a load of clothes to wash at the laundry room while I had a little swim with the kids, no problem at all. The food court was never too crowded (we were there for Presidents' Day and were worried about the crowds), the transportation to the parks was awesome (only once in 9 days we had to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus to Magic Kingdom).We loved the boat trip to Downtown Disney, although in the evenings, it may be quite of a wait. Wi-Fi worked perfectly fine both in the rooms and in the reception area, and it's free!
We got to see the Mardi Gras Parade at the hotel, it was really cute!
All in all, I don’t think I’ll stay anywhere else the next time I go to WDW (hopefully soon!)

Extra comment: We got a promotion with the Disney Dining Plan for free, and it was amazing! Both the quality and quantity of food were excellent, but it requires a lot of planning to get the right reservations. If you’re willing to work a bit in advance, the Dining Plan is great value.

Room Tip: As I said, all rooms are great. Building 3 and 4 are closer to the main areas, but all of them are O...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Miriam021
New Jersey
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a four night stay at the POFQ and had a wonderful stay! We had a riverview king room in building 6 and we were very pleased with the accommodations (especially the cute towel animals every night). It was nice that we didn't have to walk too far to the bus stop or food court, but some days we chose to walk over to the Riverside pool, gift shop and food court because they had a larger variety of food it seemed. The bus service is so convenient, definitely better than renting a car! I feel the resort is really centrally located among the parks and Downtown Disney. They let us check out late too because we had a later flight...and you can even check into your flight and check your luggage for the flight right in the lobby, it was really convenient! You drop it in the lobby and don't see it again until you are at your home airport. For the little amount of time you spend at the hotel because of everything else to see in Disney…this is a great value!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Wanderlust0113
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Having previously stayed at All Star Sports, I was looking for something less crowded and with better transportation to the parks. POFQ was the perfect choice.

The resort is fairly small and everything is relatively close to the main area with the food court and bus stops. The resort also has a boat to Downtown Disney. The bus sometimes goes to the PO Riverside resort but always goes to POFQ first. I never had a problem getting to and from the parks unlike the previous year at AStSports.

The food court is smallish but big enough and has a decent food selection. The entire resort is themed like Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Arrive at the right time and you can get beads when you come in and at night you can listen to some great jazz. You also get to share any of the amenities at the PO Riverside resort which is a 10 minute walk or short boat ride away.

My room had a view of a garden and a parking lot (3rd floor) as it was a standard room. This didn't bother me at all as the whole place is quite pretty, and I spent my time at the parks. The room had a fridge at no additional charge but wired ethernet was $9.95 a day. I think there is now free WiFi but check on that before you go.

The room amenities were good and a cut above the value resorts. As a solo traveller I had lots of room. The mousekeepers (Disney for housekeepers) gave me wonderful towel art every day. (I did tip them everyday so that probably helped, but I appreciated their care). All of the POFQ rooms were refurbished and given queen size bed before my arrival in August, 2011.

Overall I love this place.

Room Tip: Disney has lots of price grades for this resort. Check them out in advance but all rooms are good l...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Darren P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
1.4 km away
7.3 km away
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
3.4 km away
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!