“High expectations.... met!”

Ranked #50 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Chicago, Illinois
“High expectations.... met!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Disney is known for their customer services, so expectations were high. For the rates of this hotel, I expected exceptional services. WOW! The staff went above and beyond to accommodate or young family of five with two grandparents. From the moment we arrived to MCO to check out, we were really stress-free! I did not even lift my luggage until I arrived back home.

Room Tip: Buy a refillable beverage mug from the gift shop.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cvcrna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Thai first
Pori, Finland
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I attended a 5 day conference held at the Disney Dolphin hotel in the same "park" as the Yacht club (there are 4 hotels and a "Boardwalk" scattered around a central lake a few hundred metres from Epcot). I wouldn't normally consider a Disney hotel, but the conference was there, so there wasn't much alternative.

There are water buses running between the four resort hotels, The Boardwalk and Epcot.
For proximity to the Boardwalk, the Swan hotel is much better, unfortunately it was already booked out by the time I was able to register for the conference.

The greeting / check-in was a painfully protracted experience, compared e.g. with IHG / Hilton group check-in. American style service - friendly but soooo slow. Staff in reception are all dressed in kitsch naval outfits (the whole hotel is nautically themed), can´t see that it'd appeal to kids - possibly they are targeting retirees, but not really suitable for a conference hotel.

The room was spacious, two huge comfortable beds, decent sized mini-fridge. Having the sinks in a carpeted area was odd as was the teeny-tiny little bathroom. Toiletries were pretty good quality - a decent sized bath to use them in would be even better.

WiFi was very slow, I was often kicked off and even received an error message that there are too many people trying to log on. They perhaps need to upgrade their bandwidth?

The hotel has a huge Disney shop just off the lobby which sells a wide variety of junk food but the nearest place to grab a quick sandwich is a 10 minute walk away on the other side of the lake :-/.

The Boardwalk has a variety of restaurants, I used the Greek restaurant (edible) but they took about 20 minutes to seat us even *with a reservation time*, the Pizza Window was pretty good, the bakery does good cakes, but $12+ for a small sandwich and a diet coke is a rip off. The Boardwalk is hellishly expensive for what you get, and with the exception of a gas station, there is absolutely nothing else close to the resort, so without a car you'll have to pay Disney prices.

After the conference finished I moved on to the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mhbarker
Texas
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Squeaky voices and too many ears! Hotel would be okay if they'd just realize that adults come here, too! We had no choice ... our conference was held here. TV sucked ... all disney and cartoons, incl ESPN x 5, and foreign language. NO movie channels and NO PPV movie choices. We asked to rent a movie for the DVD player one night and had our choices of Disney or Disney. Shower was a fine mist, and not adjustable. Food was mediocre at best. Even shopping offered everything in the world ... with ears or rat faces on it. Prices were exhorbitant including $90 admission to Epcot. Will go out of our way to miss this place EVER again! (I have never given a bad review before; prefer being positive, but couldn't hold back this time.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank emgTX
olivierij@eastgreenwich.k12.nj.us
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Top notch hotel. Staff couldn't be more friendly and more helpful.
The room was great, clean, bright! Location was wonderful - we could walk to Epcot.
We ate at the Yachtsman Steakhouse - which was fabulous! Pricey - but possibly the best steak I ever had! The parks were surprisingly very crowded, which was not too big of a deal for us, we just went back to the poolside and ordered delicious mudslides. Great vacation!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoanieO
Davenport, IA
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We arrived on a Saturday for an 8 day stay and was greeted at the door by staff from the Yacht Club. The service here is much better than the service we received at other Disney properties (such as Riverside, Port Orleans, or All-Star Resorts). I had requested 1st floor rooms and close to transportation since my father is blind, but they did mess that up. They had my parents on the 1st floor and us on the 3rd floor. I had requested the rooms be by each other so that we could assist my parents if needed. I had checked on our room requests a couple of times before arriving, so it was a little frustrating that it wasn't accurate, but they fixed it right away. We got ajoining rooms on the 1st floor. The rooms were nice and spacious, but certainly not fancy or elaborate. We had a family of 5 in one room and my parents in the other room. The beds were really comfortable and my 5 year old daughter loved sleeping on the day bed. We didn't have any problems with noise or anything. I liked this resort because we were really close to both the bus and the boat transportation, not to mention the pool and the restaurants. We were in rooms 1085 and 1087. The property itself was nice enough; they did add tons of flowers during the week we were there and it brightened up everything so much more! I think they were getting ready for spring :) I think the hotel was very high priced, so that would be my only complaint...not totally sure it was worth twice as much as the cost of Riverside resort or another value resort.
There was some construction on the resort outside, but I didn't hear any noise and had no problems getting around.
The had a very nice gift shop and good restaurants and this resort. The Captain's Grill dinner was fabulous. We had ribeyes and cheese and bacon mashed potatoes. Everyone loved it! Everyone also loved their meal at the Yachtsmen Steakhouse. I liked the Captain's Grill better, however, and the prices were cheaper. The menus at the restaurants are not extensive, so look in advance to make sure there is something you like. We also ate at Cape May's Seafood Buffet; that was delicious as well! Even the food at the Hurrican Hanna's pool restuarant was good.
I like the location of this resort! You can take a boat just right outside your room to MGM studios or Epcot. It was so easy. It does take a little extra time, but is worth it if your feet are tired. We always took to boat to MGM because the bus doesn't go there or to Epcot. Epcot is definitely within walking distance. We ate there several nights and easily walked there each night. My parents took the boat and we met them there. We could even see the Epcot fireworks from the patio off of our room! I think we will stay there again since the location is so convenient.
Check-in and check-out was easy and simple. I highly recommend making all dinner or breakfast reservations in advance or you might be out of luck at the resort! One day the breakfast wait for a sit down meal was almost 1 hour. We had our dinner reservations way in advance, but weren't sure about breakfast. We were easily able to make breakfast reservations while we were there that week. We did also do the Cape May Character breakfast. The food was good and my daughter loved all the Disney Characters that came through.
The pool was awesome at this resort for my 5 year old! She could go anywhere in the sand bottom pool and could touch the bottom. One day she skipped the theme parks all together to just stay back with me and play in the pool while the older kids went on the rides at the theme parks. The older kids did not really use one of the other deeper pools very much, so I don't know how they liked them. They thought the waterslide was fun. The do give out buckets and shovels with the kids meal at hurricane hannas, so your young child will have something to use in the sand.
Overall, great trip. The Disney crowd at this time of the year was HUGE though. It was somewhat tiring to deal with the crowds for 8 days, but I still think it was worth it.

Room Tip: We had two rooms (1085 and 1087) and they were nice and quiet and close to boat transportation and t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family