“Fantastic theme, but rooms and service disappoint”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #31 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed at the Disney Wilderness Lodge from Nov 6-9th 2010. The lobby and public areas are cleverly designed and look amazing. It is Disney imagineering at its finest in a Northwestern theme. However, this resort really does not belong in the Disney Deluxe category. Here are the good and bad about the Disney Wilderness Lodge:
The Good: 1. If you stay here take time to walk around the entire hotel. There are so many interesting corridors, balconies, staircases, fireplaces, pathways, nooks and walkways to see. The pools are nice (with the exception of ducks sometimes swimming in them) and the landscaping is top notch. Overall a very atmospheric place. Disney out did itself in the design of the main resort areas.
2. Very convenient boat rides to either the Magic Kingdom or Fort Wilderness & Contemporary Resort.
The Bad: 1. The rooms themselves are small and have no comfortable sitting chairs like other Disney deluxe rooms. Also housekeeping short sheeted the beds and the flat screen TVs did not have high def reception. Also we could not turn off the closed caption function on the TV. The toilet/shower part of the bathroom was dark and drab looking. The shower spray was very wide and uncomfortable. The refrigerator did not get very cold. The room was clean, but rather worn looking.
2. Poor concierge service - the concierge told us to our face we were getting a Florida resident discount on our Disney tickets. The next day we found out we were charged the full admission price and complained. We were told that you have to buy tickets at least one day in advance to get the FL resident discount. So the concierge basically lied to us. Also another concierge gave us bad directions to Downtown Disney and we wound up back on I-4.
3. Poor reservations system - made dinner reservations for the Whispering Canyon Cafe in the hotel and were seated 25 minutes after our reservation time. Most respectable places would offer a free drink or appetizer as an apology for such a screw up. We just got a "We're so sorry".
4. Annoying ducks - ducks swim in the pool from time to time (so I assume they poop in there too.) Ducks also beg for food if you eat at the outdoor dining tables of the Roaring Fork Cafe. Staff seems indifferent to them. I guess the ducks are more important than the guests.
The Bottom Line: I'd stay here again but only if I got a decent room rate. I would recommend to family and friends but only if they can get a great room price, too. Kids, in particular, seemed to be having a good time here, due to the grandiose theme. Also, If Disney wants to be honest about the overall quality of the Wilderness Lodge they should place it in their moderate resort category. If not, they need to ugrade the rooms and service for it to really be a Disney deluxe property.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank JosephJ_10
Write a ReviewReviews (3,671)

Reviewed 9 November 2010

After over 30 trips to Walt Disney World Resort, we had tried almost every Disney resort except for Wilderness Lodge, so we were excited to check it out. The hotel lobby and grounds were beautiful, but the size and cleanliness of the rooms leave a lot to be desired. Also, after unpacking, we all went out on our patio to take in the view of the woods and lake. Then we were joined by an unwelcome guest…an alligator. He was swimming in the lake and then parked himself on the grass a stone’s throw from our patio. People from upper level balconies were throwing food down to the alligator drawing him closer to the hotel building. Even the guests staying in the room next door to us left a whole muffin sitting on their patio step trying to draw animals closer. Who knows what they were thinking? Needless to say, we were unable to sit or relax on the patio, and my daughters were scared to death every time my husband opened the patio door. At first I thought it was a fluke that there was an alligator at Wilderness Lodge, but he obviously lives there since he was there all four days of our trip. How can Disney allow this at a family resort when they are such dangerous animals?
The second thing that was incredible to me at a “Deluxe” resort was the condition of the boat that takes Wilderness Lodge guests from Magic Kingdom back to the resort. I am referring to the larger boat with windows and a front and back open seating area. The small wooden boat was fine that we took to Magic Kingdom. On Sat. and Mon. night after leaving Magic Kingdom, we all boarded the S.S. Creepy Crawly (the larger boat) to head back to Wilderness Lodge. At first I noticed a very large mosquito on the wall and killed it with a tissue, then my husband said not to bother. I didn’t know what he meant until I looked around (inside and outside) the boat and the walls and ceiling area were all covered with these huge mosquitoes. Then to make matters worse, there were huge (you have no idea) spiders like I have never seen before on the middle and bottom part of the boat walls and seats. People were literally ready to jump off of the boat once it finally docked at the resort.
Also, there was a thick layer of dust on the bunk bed frames and in the dresser drawers. And the queen bed sheets and one pillowcase had black dirt marks on them. I reported this to Mousekeeping but did not receive a reply. This was definitely not a "Deluxe" resort experience especially for the $$$$ amount of money we paid.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Disneynuts2010
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed here for 2 weeks in october, family of four, 2 kids 8 and 5 me and hubby, This is an amazing hotel from the second you walk through the doors and see the amazing lobby We were in room 5149, great view overlooking the pool, we could see Electric water pagent every night from our room and the wishes and halloween fireworks just over the top of the roof, It brought tears to my eyes. Housekeeping were fantastic and left a few towel animals including a water slide into a pool all made from towels with the kids teddies sliding down, I had read about the rooms being a bit dark so was a bit concerned but i found them to be much better than i expected, cosy not dark at all, the front desk and cast in the shop were fantastic, really helpful and great to chat too. We never had any trouble with the buses and didnt wait longer than 15min, but the best was the boat to magic kingdom, we never waited more than a few minutes and when leaving Mickeys Halloween party we walked straight on whilst the q's for the monorail were huge. Pool was fantastic and warm and we ate in whispering canyon which was a laugh a minute, the meals in roaring forks were good but not many options and after a few days you kinda get fed up of the burger and flatbread options, definatly needs a bigger menu, Other than that this hotel was perfect in every way, never has a disney holiday run so smoothly with so many smiles and laughter from us and this was our 6th time in WDW and it couldnt have been better. Stay here you wont be disapointed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank melodymermaid
Reviewed 8 November 2010

An amazing hotel with so much to do for not only kids, but adults too! Close to the Magic Kingdom. We were able to see the fireworks from the beach too. Clean and everyone was so nice!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2010

The Wilderness Lodge surpassed my expectations. The setting on the water is so tranquil. In the morning, I drank my coffee while looking out at the boats. Nice start to the day before running around the parks. The kids loved the pool while my husband and I enjoyed hot tub in national park setting. The lobby is gorgeous but loud. Dining options are not great. Whispering canyon is fun for kids but one visit is enough. Roaring Fork us only okay. Artist point was very nice but not worth the money. We had fun trying out dining options at other resorts. Rooms are small but nice and clean. Fantastic proximity to magic kingdom by boat. Concierge was not very knowledgeable. Booked family for a tour and when we arrived at location, we learned our children were not allowed so we were very disappointed. Overall, a great visit.

• Stayed: November 2010