“Terrible Start / Great Finish”

Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #69 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We arrived for a two night stay with two of my daughter, a two year old granddaughter and my wife. It was 9:30 at night and it was raining heavy. Upon walking into the lobby, I was excited to have finally arrived. However, my joy was dampened with the desk clerk told me that I was at the wrong hotel. This must happen a lot as she already had a map to what she said was the correct place I was suppose to me. Back into the car with a grunt I go as I head off for a 10 minute drive. Arriving at the new location, I presented myself again at the desk only to be told that I did not have reservations at that property either. I explained the situation, told them that the other hotel had called to verify I was at that hotel, but no, I wasn't at that hotel. SO we called back to the Vistana Resort. Low and behold, I was in fact suppose to be there afterall. Back in the car I go heading the 10 minutes back to were once we came. Entering the resort, I wasn't quite as happy as the first time. I will say that as soon as I explained who I was, management really jumped into action. They upgraded one of my rooms and were able to get me both rooms side by side in a nice part of the resort. After briefly getting lost, we located the rooms. There waiting for us was a bellman / assistant who was sent to make sure everything was ok. It wasn't. The door to one of the rooms wouldn't open. After some work, the assistant was able to force the door, but when we entered we could see the lever and framing were broke and as a bonus, there was a bag of wet dirtly laundry on the counter.
Back we go to the lobby. We're actually pretty popular by now because this time as I pulled up, the manager was standing at the door with new sets of keys to two side by side upgraded rooms. At 11:30 pm, we were finally settling in. 5 minutes later, I received a call verifying that everything was ok this time and if there was anything else they could do. I asked for a late check out on our last day and she gave us the ok.
The rooms were spectacular. Very clean, well appointed and the view from our room to the pool and play area was very nice. Loved the balcony. Keep in mind that these are really condo's. While there is a coffee pot in the room, there is no coffee, creams, sugar, ect. However, there is a huge refrigerator w/ ice maker to stock up on stuff, a toaster, full size stove and oven. Don't want to cook, there is a Pizza Hut, A&W and Taco Bell right by the pool. The pool area is extremely beautiful and huge!! Also, the play area for kids is just big enough. I also recommend the free shuttle service to Disney World. Huge plus.
While the start was really bad, they did everything in their power to correct and make up for the mistake. After the trip, we all agreed that we enjoyed the stay enough to "getover" the negative start.
Be aware that you will get calls in the morning about a time share presentation made available for you that includes a free breakfast.... I didn't mind the call, but please... not at 8 am.
Check out is at 10 am. We were extended to 1 pm, but nobody told housekeeping who woke us all up at 9:45 (Hey, it was the last day of vacation)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank PeterV54301
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista

Reviewed 20 February 2012

First time in America and just amazing! Family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 teens. We flew with Thomas Cook - no probs with flight. Arrived at Sanford Airport and collected our hire car (which we got a free upgrade for due to them running out of the type we had picked!) Used sat nav to find the resort - easy to find and oh boy, first impressions? AMAZING:)

We had a 2 bed apartment which was huge and so clean - everything we needed and more. Close enough to pool to walk to but far enough away so any noise didn't affect us. There were other pools on the resort equally as nice, really clean and good amenities.

Excellent location as we could access everything Orlando could offer but peaceful enough to return to on a night and just relax.

Can't praise this place enough - staff were really polite, food was great, location was fab...I wanted to live there!!

If you are thinking of this as a possible resort, you won't be making a mistake - it is fantastic and suitable for families, couples, lone travellers, for people with mobility issues or other forms of disability - a seriously good all rounder:))

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank GlynyB
das51, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

It is with great delight that we read of your wonderful and positive comments which you shared with Trip Advisor.

We are very glad that you chose the Sheraton Vistana Resort as your vacation destination.
Thank you for sharing your observations and impressions about the Resort. Your comforting feedback is appreciative and we will definitely share with our staff.

We invite you to come again and explore the warm, connected spirt and service at the Sheraton.
Vistana Resort.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Facilities have recently been refurbished, and well kept. Outdoor pool area and outdoor bar are a wonderful place to relax. I only have two issue; First, Wi fi cost $10.95 per day and evan though you pay an outrageous amount of money the Wi-fi connection is very very poor, and unreliable. Second; This hotel is located in a very hi intensity traffic area. Close to Disney, but crossing the street is an adventure.

Room Tip: Walk the two block to the grocery store , rather then shop in the hotel store.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Mary M

Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your concerns and feedback with us.
We are very sorry to learn that you had issues with the internet access.

We are currently working to improve the speed and have been successful in a portion of the resort, considering a resort of 130 acres.

May I recommend that the next time you are here, try to use the free Sheraton Link at the Market Place, as others have received excellent service there.

We look forward to welcome you again, hopefully under brighter circumstances.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed here for 9 nights. We had a full size one bedroom villa.
Very nice, large and quite comfy.
Jacuzzi and screened in patio was great to have.
Resort is huge but lots of pools so you were never really crowded.
Restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance.

Only complaint I do have is if you have a adjoining door to next unit it is paper thin.
You can hear people above you walking or dropping things. (mostly your neighbors were out most of the time so wasn't to to bad.
Next time I would just request top floor and no adjoining door.

We had housekeeping with our package and I didn't complain or question it but they don't dust vacumm or wash floors. (maybe bed making and towel changing is all they are to do)

As far as time share sharks went they asked my husband once and he said we weren't interested and he said fine and took us off the calling list.(we were never bothered )
would love to stay here again but doubt if we will ever get the good deal we got this time.

Room Tip: ask for top floor and near a pool, no adjoining doors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BonnieOntario

We thank you for taking the time to write and share your valuable comments with Trip Advisor,
it gives us an opportunity to share your feedback with our team.

We are indeed pleased to learn that your villa provided spacious and comfortable for your needs.

Sorry to learn about your missed housekeeping services, our daily services includes dusting, kitchen and bathroom tidy, replenishing all bathroom supplies, bed making, loading/unloading the dishwasher and wiping all floors.

We are definitely looking forward to welcome you again. It will be our pleasure to provide "out of this world" service to you.

Thanks for recommending the Sheraton to your friends and family.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This a great place for a family with children. We had a fabulous time. For an addtl $5 ( plus tax) we had a twin size bed cot sent to the room, its a regular twin mattress on a cot, well worth the $$$. This facility has a restaurant, though, not one of our favorites. Basci food, good service, simpy put, too many other choices available outside the resort.
Centrally located resort, in the middle of everything, Publix shipping less than a mile away, premium outlet shipping and of course, the park. Whether its Disney, DT Disney or Universal, all close by.
Pools are great, workout gyms are good, sauna and team rooms, along with free weights and machines.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback with Trip Advisor. We thank you for choosing the Sheraton as your vacation destination.

May I recommend that next time you are here, please visit our Market Place conveniently stocked for all your daily staples. Also includes a deli for hot/cold sandwiches, flavored drinks & beverages. Additionally, our Fountains Food Court provides a selection of Pizza Hut, KFC Express and A&W foods for everyone.

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your villa and the accommodation, it will be our pleasure to host you again soon.

Best Wishes,
Dassie Shuta, SVO Managment, Inc.