“A Real Disappointment”
Review of Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden
Ranked #117 of 195 Restaurants in New Smyrna Beach
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Description: Take-out with an outdoor dining area focusing on New England seafood such as Lobster (live tank on premises), chowder, fresh cod, real whole belly fried clams and steamers. House smoked meats, salads and great sandwiches.
Reviewed 24 March 2016

On arrival, we received the menu and while pricy, New England lobster and chowder teased my taste buds. The chowder was good. The lobster roll was very small with meager lobster claw meat. It was OK. There is another lobster roll shop in town (beachside) that has spoiled us. This place is not Heavenly!

Jim D, Owner at Octopus's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience here at Octopus's Garden to the extent to consider it "A Real Disappointment". In regards to the lobster roll, we are from New England and have chosen to serve ours on an authentic 6" cut New England style frank roll, buttered and grilled on both sides. The roll may be smaller, but that's all. I personally do all the food preparation in the kitchen and I can guarantee NO ONE serves a larger portion for the money and we use the entire lobster (tail, knuckle and claws). I can't run out of lobster because I keep them here live in a tank. I have in the past explained to customers that there may be a short wait while I steam fresh lobster to fill their order. So really, there's no chance of shortage or lack of freshness; or inconsistency for that matter. I encourage you to please dine with us again and if there is a problem or disappointment approach us and let us take care of you; it's why we're here. Beyond that we're grateful you don't have to go too far to find the lobster roll that you like even if it isn't ours. Thanks, Jim

Reviewed 25 February 2016

This is the new shining star in NSB. The lobster roll is full of lobster to the extent that it keeps falling out of the bun. Very reasonably priced even if it did not come with two sides. There is no inside dining but who cares with food this good.

2  Thank James B
Jim D, Owner at Octopus's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016

Kind words indeed, thank you so much. We're planning to create a more all-weather friendly dining area in the near future, but in the mean time please continue to enjoy your favorites with us al fresco on our beautiful patio in the (almost always) good weather! Thanks, Jim

Reviewed 15 January 2016

I hate wasting meals or calories on mediocre. After a long drive visiting friends in North Florida and having no food at my condo, I stopped by for a late lunch intending to try the restaurant that had previously been at this location. The previous location had been a crab shack but Octopus' Garden focuses on lobster rolls. I was offered a choice of cold with a little mayo or warm with butter, I had the cold. The lobster roll was moist and tasty and loaded with lobster. It was served with a side of creamy cole slaw and great fries which were hot and obviously cooked in very fresh oil. A cup of catsup was thoughtfully provided without my even asking. Overall delicious! The weather wasn't nice so I ate in my car but there are lots of tables outside. Also would be good for take out if you can wait to eat. Nice friendly service too.

4  Thank AnAnthropologist