1,056 results
All reviews historic hotel lake dora front porch rocking chairs view of the lake old florida step back in time watch the sunset beautiful grounds new owners central florida glass of wine get away quaint town downtown area shops and restaurants wedding
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just spent a whole week at the Lakeside Inn and I must say it was “a very enjoyable good time”. My wife and I scheduled our Anniversary/Spring vacation trip from Saturday 3/17 to Friday 3/23. Due to reviews about “hidden charges” and “overcharging” we got an overall room price and paid in advance then requested a confirmation of “paid in full” before we departed. This was completed efficiently with Kim and I gave her an initial deposit. When I called a few days later to “pay in full” I dealt with Sabrina. This transaction was very confusing and she spoke in circles so I gave her the payment that Kim and I had agreed on and just emailed Kim myself requesting the “paid in full confirmation which she returned with almost immediately.
We had decided that Lakeside Inn was our destination no matter what previous reviews had stated and we were going to make the best of it no matter what. We then decided to leave a day early and go down on Friday afternoon so I called the day before and was told this was no problem at all. (YAY AN EXTRA DAY)
Upon arrival we checked in with Sabrina and we experienced first hand the previous reviews of customer service. (Or lack there of) WOW! I was immediately thinking “OH NO” here we go! She is demeaning and degrading with a huge smile and I did not like her. (AT ALL)
BUT- After leaving her behind our whole trip immediately changed. Two other gentleman behind the counter started talking to my son about music (his favorite subject) and laughed and joked with us. I needed a place to park my boat and plug it in and was told Mitch was the maintenance guy and he could help with power. Mitch was very accommodating and courteous and I was set. (Note-Mitch’s wife also works there and is every bit as pleasant) We then were off to our room. “it was perfect” A wave of relief came over us and we were just happy and relieved, and hugged and kissed and danced. There was “no smell”, the carpet was clean, and it was spacious. There are four main things I have to have, #1) water pressure, #2) wireless #3)no bugs #4)A/C . These all exceeded my expectations. And the location is 2nd to none!!!!! I am an early riser (sixish) and trekked out for coffee the first morning. I entered the lobby to inquire about where I may find some this early and was told “right there by the stairs”. Another huge mark for the Inn!!!! So we sat on the porch and watched Florida come to life. Amazing! But no where near as amazing as the sunset that evening. We had breakfast at the Beauclair and it was delicious and the service was fantastic. In fact we ate there and on the porch a few times and each time it was very good! This perfection went on until Tuesday when my wife’s card had a charge of two and a half times what the rate was for the day early arrival! I went to the lobby and guess who was there? Yes it was Sabrina! WOW AGAIN! I actually became angry enough to call her a “Smart***” out loud in front of a few people and I just want to apologize for my actions here and now. I should not have let it come to that. The charge (or as was finally explained to me “a hold”) has been taken care of. Then on Weds we arrived back at our room to find that the A/C had quit working. I called the front desk and “Andy” immediately knocked at the door. She stated that the best she could do was move us to another room directly across the hall. This was a much smaller room but hey we only have two more nights so we agreed. Unfortunately the A/C in this room was no better. She then moved us down the hall into another “smaller” room but the A/C worked and it was only two nights. (We way overpacked and moving sucked) but we made the best of it. We were compensated for our troubles and we will definatly revisit the Inn next year. Thanks Kim, Deanna, Andy, Mitch, Shelby, two guys that were always in the lobby, and the whole staff. And as for Sabrina I will just avoid her from now on.........
Also-The grounds are very well kept, the pool is Olympic size and clean, The dock is being repaired by John who also provides an airplane tour for 50$ which is money well spent

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We have stayed here for lots of years visiting the antique boat show. This is a "location,location,location" type of place. We've endured the overpriced rooms and poor rooms to be local....not anymore. You are far a better off to stay out on Hwy 44l at one of the new chains or one of the beautiful B&Bs locally. We were in the Sunset Building and it was the PITS. Poor carpeting, furniture ,etc. DO NOT STAY AT THIS INN IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE. Again, we love the location, but there is a huge price for that!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

After seeing the website for this Inn, we were really looking forward to staying there. We were given a room on the second floor in a building that dates back to the 20's. There was no elevator and a long hall with three flights of stairs. My poor husband is almost 73 and had to carry our bags by himself. The room was barely big enough for the king bed, and the bathroom was extremely small with very old fixtures. The enamel on the bathtub was worn away and the toilet was smaller than I've seen before. The carpet was very old, worn and stained. The lightbulb in the lamp by the bed was only 60 watts covered with a dark shade. (Impossible to read by!) The A/C was broken and they installed a floor model next to the bed and ran the ductwork through the wall. The room came with a balcony, but it was missing the awning cover and was littered with leaves and trash. We shared the room with several insects, and the price was $175. We couldn't wait to leave!!!

Room Tip: No one told us there wasn't an elevator. I'm not sure there is a good room here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pkldpchs
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We booked a room for a Girl's Weekend and decided to bring a dog. When we called to advise them of this change, we were told they would have to change our room but they would upgrade us to a suite at no additional charge. When we arrived we were told we would staying in the Sunset building. Our room had faded and stained carpet, the view was a chain link fence with no trespassing signs and scaffolding around the building. The room also had a musty odor and a bathroom from the 50's, including scalding water in the shower when someone in a neighboring room flushed. Good service would have been to advise us of these less than desirable accommodations when we made the change and not charge us the $50 non-refundable pet deposit. Our little 14 lb dog could not have done anything to make the room worse than it already was. The service in the restaurants was fairly good and I highly recommend the cheeseburger and the Orange Pie...yummy. However we were disappointed that the fountain sodas were flat, the restaurant ran out of blue cheese at dinner time and they did not offer peanut butter with the breakfast English Muffins. We were advised that there was a room service menu, however it is more of a takeout menu as there is no delivery in to the rooms...also no coffee makers in the room. I would recommend this as a nice place to visit and have lunch only...do not book a room, especially if you have a pet. This place makes a Days Inn look good.

Room Tip: If assigned to the Sunset Building ask to be relocated to a newer building.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JulieandKay
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We recently had our wedding at The Lakeside Inn. Lisa Morgan was our wedding coordinator and she did a tremendous job. She made sure all of our vendors were on time and made the entire experience fun. She did everything she said she was going to do and stuck to her word. I would recommend working with her as you will enjoy the entire experience. The venue was great as we wanted a very intimate setting. The sunset over the lake was gravy on top to an amazing event!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family