“Could use a good scrubbing down.”
Review of Starlite Hotel

Starlite Hotel
Ranked #178 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I guess I have been spoiled by the decent mid-priced hotels that have come on the market the last few years where the cleaning staff is well managed, maintenance of th building is priority, and attention to detail is imperative. While the front desk staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are a shoddy dirty mess. The maid was still rushing to finish cleaning when I arrived. I could tell from the cleanser residue on the floor that she was not good at her job. I took some photos to send to management so perhaps they will make improvements. One lamp was missing its shade, the bare bulb glaring on the nightstand. I noticed the toilet seat probably hadn't been removed for detail cleaning in some time, something a small used toothbrush could easily remedy. The fact that the label was still on the bottom of the toilet bowl shows they just don't care about aesthetics here. Bathroom light was missing a bulb. The one lone shelf in the medicine cabinet was dirty and all other shelves missing. The hair dryer was covered in visibel goo that I cleaned of myself. The electrical outlet switch plate was cracked as dangling. The sink faucet was covered in mineral deposits and the obviously never remove the decorative caps to clean the knobs, or clean base of knobs. The shower head was disgusting as in need of soaking to remove buildup. The bathroom door hinges were rusty and coming apart. Te shower faucet also dirty and missing caps. The window which faced a wall was covered in dirt and paint peeling around the frame. The round little table was wobbly because of someone's attempt to attach the top to the pedestal trough rather shoddy carpentry, so I dared not set my laptop on it for fear it would fall off. The elevator broke down for a bit, luckily I was going downstairs and by the time I returned later in the evening it was repaired. The walls are super thin so I could hear the man next door urinating. And finally the loud music from the hotel cafe was pounding up to around midnight. I didn't know this was going to be like sleeping above a nightclub. Yes the location is great across from the beach and near attractions. The king size bed and 5 pillows are great and the room comes with a microwave and small fridge. Flat screen wal mounted TV works. However, it is clear that no one is overseeing the cleaning team and that management does not understand the importance of detail. Fixing the issues I just mentioned would take perhaps 2 hrs per room right now to bring this hotel to a better level that warrants it's price.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank debbietdavies

Reviewed 6 December 2012

this was just right for my night out clubbing. checked in, by friendly reception. rest my things. The room was clean and simple and I was out. Good location for SOBE nightlife. On my way back I passed the hotel. LOL! Maybe because I was drunk or the fact that the light was gone from the sign. but it was just what I needed a place to crash. convinient for me as it is near to my first and fav club in miami beach.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in November, and arrived late after a long flight to a warm and pleasant welcome by the receptionist. Our rooms were comfortable and large, with a small kitchenette, well stocked en-suite and digital TV.
The cleanliness was not brilliant, the sheets and towels were clean, but behind the sink, under the table and other nooks & crannies could have done with a bit of a scrub. A few of the tiles were cracked and some of the paint could do with a little touch-up. However, for the price we payed, it was actually above expectations.
The location is fantastic, all the bars, clubs & cafes you could possibly want are right on it's doorstep. My room actually looked out over Lummus park & South Beach, which was lovely to wake up to.
We opted for Valet parking, which costs $24 per 24 hours, and since the nearest parking is a ten minute walk away and costs $20 per 24 hours, is actually great value, and the service was great.
One note of warning, we went down to the little bar outside for a drink when we first arrived, and having just ordered a couple of drinks without thinking, 2 of the most enormous glasses arrived, which stung us $25 each. I think this is standard on the strip, so make sure you ask the price BEFORE you order!
However, almost every eaterie on Ocean drive does a hearty breakfast for $5.75 (including unlimited orange juice and coffee), great for the morning after one too many drinks (or just one of the huge ones!).
Espanola Way was a real highlight of our time in Miami, and a short walk from the hotel, with a more chilled out atmosphere, with nice bars it was a bit kinder to the wallet too.
I would reccommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be central to the action, doesn't mind the hustle & bustle (people watching is fantastic on Ocean drive) and doesn't want anything too luxurious.
We'd stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the beach have a great view, but are also the noisiest. Try and avoid rooms on the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank milispike
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Well I like south beach Miami. The location was perfect for tourist, good value for everything I do not pay to much. But the impression I get when I arrived was terrible.No elevator was broken I have to take my logged for the step to the four floor. When I getting to the room was dirty very stinks with smoke sigar. I ask to the front desk for another room but the lady toll me the all room was the same. I was very disappointing no helpful. Finally next day I ask again on front desk to change my room and she toll me I am going to change your room after four day's be in the stink room. The service was terrible, the maid make my bed only one time because I ask her. Never Again, I will never recommend this Hotel to any body. To have this experiences.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We had a great time in Miami! The location of Starlite hotel is perfect. Good value for money. We did not pay so much. The lady in reception desk was very hapeful. I would recommend the hotel young people with not so big expectations.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple