14,958 results
All reviews sorrento tower tresor tower lapis spa bleau bar liv nightclub pool area amazing service beautiful hotel junior suite lobby bar ocean view beach service people watching pool staff valet parking beach chairs scarpetta
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I've been going to Miami for over 5 years now. I've stayed from the Four Points by Sheraton all the way to the Acqualina ( Best hotel in Miami). But this hotel is the worst.
#1- No Doorman - Every hotel has a doorman, but not this place, and when I asked the front desk why not, they said "they are not sure".
#2- The place is bigger than an airport & extremely understaffed. There is nobody to help you with anything you need.(at least airports have assistance) The signs are tiny everywhere so until you find "reception" you can walk in circles
#3- Check in took forever because they only have 2 people checking in guests. Plus those same 2 people are answering phone calls, not paying attention to you. Why have a manger if they can make you wait on line for who knows how long.
#4- I stayed in the Chateau & paid a "discounted rate" of $750 per night. The rooms are spacious, but whoever re-designed it did a bad job. Not one molding in the room & they very cheaply just panelled over the existing structure. Very cheesy looking & not elegant at all. The outdoor terraces have a terrible smell on them from something the floor was made of, & if you want privacy you are not getting it because everybody on your floor can see you. Every hear of planters or frosted glass?
#5- The rooms Do NOT come with slippers, turndown service,drinking glassees, or even a coffee machine. if you want coffee in the morning you need to go downstairs & pay $$$ in the lobby store.
#6- Don't expect your room to get cleaned before 4pm & as mentioned before- there is no turn down service. Every 4-5 star hotel offers turn down service- but not them. Aloso I found garbage fvrom the previous guest & even a book that was left behind. Did anybodyy inspect the room before allowing a new guest in there?
#6- The Spa is very big. Hey have 108 lockers, but the relaxation room is not completed so enjoy sitting in your robe in an unfinished room. There are more lights on in the spa than in NYC on new years eve.relaxed yet? well they decided to do minor constuction there so enjoy the sauna with a jackhammer going off 15 feet over your head.
#7 But most importantly - the staff is terrible. Nobody smiles at you, there is nobody to ask questions to if you need help. The concierge always has a line ( I guess people are always complaining to them)
It's a waste of money & your time to come here. Stay down the block or next door if you must come for business, but if your coming for vacation, you will leave more irrated than before you came in.
Just because they been around for 60 years doesn't mean anything, they have a "name", but you are on your own the moment you walk in - nobody cares & nobody will help you. you do the math now

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank Tobnere
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Room – We were upgraded to a small suite, which was just as nice as or nicer than a small suite at Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. Great view. No issues with room service the food and champagne was on time, cooked to order, and the service quick and painless.

Food – The restaurant Gotham Steaks was a real let down. Again, I have had the best and for the price, it was bad. Ruth Chris, which is much less expensive, is much better. $700 for four people (one appetizer of four medium pre-cooked crab claws was $100) with only $70 being wine is too much. The steak was overcooked (it came medium-well not medium-rare). The service was good but not great, they automatically put a twenty percent tip in (although I have no issue and tip well, they usually only do this for tables of six or more….). Vida was all right but here the service was bad - with hardly anyone in the place - and overpriced for the class of food.

Drinks – Some of the best cocktails I have had, however the prices are New York City prices or more – be prepared if you are not ready to spend. By that, I mean $15 for a cocktail, $15-$25 for a glass of wine, and they tend to put in print that they are using high-end sprits but I saw on multiple occasions a bartender pick up something like Triple Sec instead of Cointreau. Small switch but one you should not do when people are paying top dollar and you list it in your menu. In addition, for a high-end hotel, a little sleazy. I say this because it was not just one bartender, it happened across the board. There are no soda machines or water and water in your room is $10-$12.

Customer Service – Excellent everywhere from check-in, room service, parking attendants, and most wait staff (especially the pool bar). The major complaint I have here is the gentleman at the pool who rents the cabanas. He said $350. I said “You site says $250.”). He gave it to us for $250. This on a cool weekday when there was hardly anyone there. It smacked of a used car salesperson type interaction. The person was just a jerk and again, if you are trying to impress you are a first class hotel; get rid of the sleaze employees. They do not exist at your competitors.

Overall – We had a good experience and the staff made the stay. I do not know what happened to other people but all four of us had great interactions with staff (except the pool guy). I do quality assurance for a living so I know “picky”. Gotham’s cooking needs to get on board with their prices. Bars have excellent cocktails but bring your wallet. The hotel is beautiful and has been remodeled very nicely.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annapolis_Lady
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I spent many hours on tripadvisor reading mostly negative reviews on this hotel, some of the complaints have merit but to rate this a "one" is just being overly critical. This is not a terrible place, the one rating says terrible and that just is not the case here. The beauty alone must rank this at least a three (average). Yes, I agree they are experiencing growing pains with some service issues but if some service issues ruins your vacation then I feel sorry for you.

The next issue I would like to address is the prices, I spent many days and months pricing a hotel (really I was looking for a resort, all the amenities at one location, on the beach not across the street, pool large enough to not feel on top of each other) and this and Lowes were the only ones that I felt offered all of this. I was traveling with my spouse and young child. This hotel which I agree is very expensive was cheaper than the lowes and I got a junior suit for about $50 less than a standard room at Lowes. Yes, the prices at the pool for drinks is over the top but all of southbeach is over the top, this is just a little bit more. If you want cheaper drinks just walk next door to the other hotels and save two dollars a drink if you want. We did this for breakfast, instead of paying the $28 for breakfast buffet, we went next door the holiday inn one morning and had the buffet for around $15. You do have some options but not many as you are kind of isolated but not totally if you take the time to look around.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank taginnj
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Disclaimer: work paid for the 3 nights I stayed there. I travel fulltime for work so I've stayed in a billion hotel rooms so take that fwiw when reading this review. The remodeling must have been done by the time I got here because I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. It was easy to valet the car when we arrived...i think its like $23/night to park...totally normal for an area like this. As expected, everything was marble and very timeless trendy looking (if you can picture that). It kind of smelled like a 5-star hotel in a foreign country but I have no way to explain that except lol (not good or bad, just a distinct smell when you first walk into the hotel). We checked in and they were very nice and had great personalities..joked around with us etc. The food was overpriced but lets face it, everything in miami beach is the exact same way at the restaurants so you can't fault them. I *really* liked their japanese restaurant called The Blade...the Lobster Miso soup was some of the best I've tasted...very flavorful...edamame was so-so...quality of the yellowtail was above average, definitely fresh...unique version of green tea that had a wonderfully unique taste to it. Cool menus that are backlit with a fluorescent light. Sushi chefs are friendly and will initiate conversation if they see you're actually up for talking. I never really looked up from my phone hardly while texting/surfing and the chef respected that. Ate at Gotham the first night and the black cod was AMAZING!!!

The hotel room was a little smaller than avg but lets be honest, most rooms that are 50+ yrs old arent exactly gigantic. It was decorated very nicely though... somewhat post-modern imho. huge lcd on the wall, an apple imac on the desk which contrary to what everyone said lets you go to a ton of normal sites free like msnbc, usatoday, facebook etc. They have an intranet you can also access on the computer that gives maps and tells the history of the hotel and the area..pretty cool. I've yet to hit the pool or beach so we'll see about that. One poster is right though, outside of this hotel most of the restaurants are further down on pine tree about a mile away. Definitely hit Lincoln Avenue while you're here...I'd argue thats one of the best places to eat/shop. it seems a little more high class than further down south beach. Only bad thing I noticed about the hotel is that the walls were a little thinner than I expected but nobody was banging so it was inconsequential. Enjoy or should i say enyoy! hahaha

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank grothman
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stayed at the hotel in February 2009. I wasnt expecting much having read the many negative reviews but I think they must have been about a different hotel! Yes they still having teething troubles but they have only just reopened after a major refit! The hotel had everything you needed and the rooms were excellent. Particularly liked the use of in room computer for ordering room service which always arrived promptly and the food was excellent. Give it a try! My only negative was its remoteness from local facilities but bear in mind that I had no transport so had to walk or taxi everywhere.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple