“Great choice for South Beach”

Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel
Ranked #43 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I started using Tripadvisor a few years ago to pick my hotels (Italy, Barcelona, London-never failed etc) but I have never written a review. I've stayed in 5 star and 3 star hotels and not all live up to thier claims. This time I must write a review because the hotel really deserves it. My husband, 19 yr old daughter and I stayed at the Surfcomber for one week. The location could not be better-close enough to walk to the action in the Art Deco district, shop on Lincoln Mall Road. There are several high end properties around, and if you are willing and able to pay the price go right ahead and hope you get what you pay for. However, if you want a "cool" place that is clean, with very friendly staff (not one hotel employee passed us without saying hello-sure they are trained to, but it really does matter and makes a difference) I recommend without hesitation the Surfcomber.The decor is somewhat different, simple, and I wondered about the bulls (cows?) and black sheep statues but as my daughter educated me, this is "ecclectic"! I have to agree when she also said they do ecclectic really well (cool lobby). Not a big high rise, with a lot of bling, but certainly is "big" as far as the atmosphere. It is very welcoming and laid back, funky and up beat. Katiana and Luke are great bartenders. everyone at the front desk, Bellmen, always very helpful and smiling. The rooms are not big, but big enough. Who spends their holiday in a room? There is so much to do rain or shine in Miami so get over the square footage. The rooms are simple but have everything you need. The pool area very nice-guest photos right on. You don't get nickled and dimed for beach towels-take as many as you need. Happy wine hour by the pool from 5-6pm is a real plus. Sure we stayed during the construction next door, the pool being retiled (we had a bet it would be done by Wed and it was) but you could still swim no problem. Overall, it is the service, cleanliness and those little added value things like the towels and wine that I will remember. That is the choice I make when travelling-you can't control weather, construction next door and a little up keep on a property. iPods are great to muffle out any unpleasant noises (including loud tourists). Our room was on the constructions side and wasn't a problem on the weekend but we wondered how early they would start on Monday morning. It started pretty early so we asked (nicely) to change rooms, and we were moved no fuss. Always make the best of it, and you'll get the best out of it. My only improvement comment is regarding thier partnership with K19-the beach consession. They are friendly, but the last ones to get the chairs and parasols set up in the morning while all the others are up and ready. We love the beach and are out there by 9am. They somedays only start setting up around 10am. Overall, a great experience and value. I hope to return someday.

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for it in advance, and expect to pay for it like everywhere else. But, ask y...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Cath89_12
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Cath89_12 -
Wow, thank you for a great posting.
If you define eclectic as diverse; then you really hit the nail on the head.
The animals and the furniture all symbolize personal individuality and how we all (with all of our differences) are able to come together as one. Total inclusivity of total diversity.
Sean McKeen

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel

Reviewed 25 February 2012

The hotel is new and clean and quite nice. It is centrally located just a few blocks from Lincoln Road. The restaurant is pretty good, Asian inspired, and that is the limit of what you can eat in the hotel. But if that's not to your liking there are a million other restaurants and hotels just outside. There really weren't negatives other than the elevator - which is slow and small and there is only one per wing.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

BostonAdam -
Thank you for the posting.
We will remedy the elevator opportunity.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I plan the stays for a large group of people (about 50). This was the first property and instance where there was not any negative comments made by anyone in the group. That was a big challenge, because with a group of that size, ...it is hard to keep everyone happy. They loved the place!
I was there for 11 nights and during that time I was made to feel most welcome and attended to by the front staff, sales staff, restaurant, and housekeeping. I had treats and notes left in my room, greetings by name from all, and even a birthday surprise. Never, in all of my travels, have I received such attention by hotel staff. The passion that exudes from these staff members reinforces the statement, love what you do and it shows. More places could use some of the passion I witnessed here.
The hotel was very clean with whimsical and non traditional decor that works. They have farm animal statues that grab attention from boardwalk walkers and help to further their fun loving marketing campaign. I liked the unexpected mixtures of color, tempured with the boldness of pure white.
LanTao, the onsite restaurant was an absolute delight. The food offerings I tried were varied from simple (Crispy Kale) to complex (whole fish). I ate here many times just to see what the other items tasted like, and never walked away disappointed. A must try while here is the Ice Cream Sandwich, it is like nothing you have ever had before. As far as pricing, as you are in South Beach, I did not think it was bad at all. They have happy hour prices that were so very reasonable.
The wine hour was a pleasant way to end (or start) your day. The offerings were very tasteful. I especially enjoyed the white Sangria, a novelty perfect for the location.
I will be back to this property, with bells on.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank islandluv_8

islandluv_8 -
Thank you for taking a moment to post this amazing experience.
We truly appreciate the effort and look forward to your return.
Sean McKeen

Reviewed 23 February 2012

The rooms are compact but stylishly decorated and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The bathroom is likewise small with a walk-in shower rather than a bath, but is very chic and spotlessly clean. The pool is lovely and the food in the restaurant very good, though not cheap. Wireless internet is free if you sign up for their InTouch loyalty program (no fee for this.) The best thing about the Surfcomber though is the staff. Their friendly and attentive attitude makes it feel as though you're staying with friends rather than in a hotel.

We did have a couple of grumbles. There was some finishing work going on around the pool, and more significantly, there is a major construction project going on at the neighboring hotel on the south side. This means a lot of noise around the pool area, plus construction guys checking out the view from time to time. Any time this was mentioned to the hotel staff their reply was always along the lines of, “What can I do to help make it better?” Overall, the Surfcomber is an excellent hotel in a wonderful location and with great staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

MIfamilyguy -
Thats great.
Thank you for the posting.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We just returned from a three night stay at this hotel in South Beach, Miami. First, let me state upfront what a tremendous job ALL of the staff tried to do in a very difficult situation. All of the staff are well trained in customer service, but there are so many problems with this facility that all of their well meaning attentions can not make up for the problems. We recognize that this is a newly acquired Kimpton property and therefore we hope that the concerns we found will not be present for long. We arrived shortly before noon on the first day as we had just gotten off a cruise ship. We knew that check in was not until 3:00 PM and therefore were not expecting to get into our room. I should indicate that we had requested a handicapped accessible room but were told prior to our arrival that there was only ONE such room in the entire hotel and it only had one queen bed....so we had to forego that request. We were told our room was not yet ready and we asked if we could wait in the restaurant and get lunch. We were told that would be fine. When we got to the restaurant on property we were informed they were not yet open for lunch (at 11:45) but we could sit on the patio and order a drink. That was fine with the exception of the jack hammer that was running about 10 feet away from our seat on the patio over looking the pool. YEP, the property next door was being completely renovated and construction noise was our constant companion for the remainder of our stay. While that was not the fault of the Surfcomber, the fact that their property was also still being renovated certainly was! About one third of the pool area at Surfcomber was draped with lovely orange plastic netting because a new tile wall was being constructed at the pool. I am sure it will be lovely when it is completed. We learned on our second day that their "grand opening" was sometime later in the week and so while we were there the property was in full swing "get her done for the management arrival"! Lights were being installed, elevators were being redone, painters were all over the place and the resturant was just overwhelmed. The first morning we went for breakfast and were told as we were being seated "we are out of catsup"....it's breakfast, no big deal. The second morning they had catsup but NO EGGS! How does a resturant in the middle of South Beach run out of eggs for breakfast? Needless to say we didn't get breakfast that morning as they were unable to make most of the things on their menu. When we asked if they could make a breakfast plate of pancakes and meat we were told we would have to pay the alacarte cost! Thanks for the accomodation because you have NO EGGS! We didn't even try the third day. The lunch that we ordered by the pool was good and the service was great. The rooms are small, but pleasant and the beds were standard. The rooms had been newly painted and the walls were totally devoid of any pictures or artwork. There was a mirror above the glass desk and some art deco type of window blinds, but that was it! They have tried their best with a small bathroom by adding glass sinks and shower stalls, but the bathroom is still very small. As with most Kimpton properties there are no soda machines or coffee makers in the room and no coffee in the main entry. You can go to the resturant and order coffee for $3 or a diet coke for $5. There was a card in our room indicating that they had coffee makers but when we first asked they told us there was a daily fee for the coffee maker! When my husband called and told them about the card saying it was complimentary if requested the front desk seemed unaware of the cards. The next day a gentleman at the pool asked us about our stay and when we told him about the coffee maker he told us he was the housekeeping director and he would take care of it. A coffee maker and coffee was delivered to our room that day, but the supplies were never replenished. That might have been due to the fact that when we returned to our room on the third evening at about 4:45 to get ready for dinner, no room service had been done on our room! When room service knocked on our door at 5:30 PM we told them we were dressing for dinner and the time was not convenient for us. They never returned. When we booked the hotel and talked with the front desk prior to our arrival we had seen that the pool appeared to have cabanas and asked if we could reserve one for our use during our stay and what the cost would be. We were told the cabanas were free on a first come basis. When we arrived at the property we were informed that the cabanas were just completed the day prior to our arrival and there was now a fee of 100.00 per day to rent them. When we said that was not our understanding we were finally directed to a member of the pool staff who arranged for our use of a cabana as agreed. As I stated up front, the staff made every effort to accomodate our requests, but it was the fact we had to ask for everything and then wait for someone to make a decision. The staff was trying very hard but the services and property were just not ready! In spite of the concerns we encountered this is a great art deco property in a great beach front location with some outstanding restaurants in the area that were recommended by the hotel and we have every hope that this will be a good property in the future!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cowboykathy

cowboykathy -
Thank you for posting your experience with us.
We sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations.
Honestly, there are a few embarrassing notes here that will truly assist in bettering
our product and service.
For that I thank you.
I hope to see you again.