“A true Cuban experience”
Review of Catharsis Restaurant & Lounge - CLOSED

Catharsis Restaurant & Lounge
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: (305) 479-2746
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Although I visit Calle Ocho several times a year, I had not dined in any of its true restaurants, until now. Our experience, with friends, was amazing. Althought they had been there before, this was our first visit, and it won't be our last.
Having been to Cuba and experienced its cuisine, I can say that this is on par with what I've had.
To top it all off, on weekends, there is live Cuban music. This was the real thing.
The owner insisted in taking care of us personally, and kept checking on us throughout the night. He truly wanted to insure that we enjoyed everything. He was very helpful in selecting a moderately priced bottle of wine, and offered several meal suggestions after soliciting our likes and dislikes.
Yes, it is not a large place, so the music can be a bit loud, but that was fine with us. So too were the family celebrations which took place.
This is a place that both Cuban and non-Cuban customers can enjoy. Don't miss it!

2  Thank MarcN0830

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Right on calle 8, this hip spot has great live music on the weekends to accompany the delicious modern Cuban/Latin fare. Reasonably priced $10-15 appetizers and $20-30 entrees, you won't be disappointed. The live group on Fridays was outstanding.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Everything was top-notch, from the service to the food, to the entertainment by the inmensely talented Alma! I ordered a favorite wine, and we were served the last bottle they had. After we went though it, I asked the manager for a recommendation. His recommended bottle was actually far better! I'd definitely endorse this place!

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Nice place for partying or celebrating birthdays, not for having a great dinner.

We went to this place from the great reviews.

The food and service were great. The place is small, so it was even better.

We were not expecting the live show with the music extremely loud (salsa music), you could barely talk to your friend while having a great dinner unless you were shouting. Even the waiters couldn't hear what we were ordering. (I'm 28 years old and I like partying in case you are thinking I'm an old man).

Once the live show ended, we thought we could relax and enjoy the dessert, but no, instead, the restaurant started playing pop music even louder (Rihanna, Beyonce, YMCA and that sort of music).

Bottom line.. we didn't enjoy the great food at all because of the loud. You could feel the bass in your stomach like if you were in a club. Not so nice when eating.

On top of everything, the bill was $100 + tip for 2 persons with a 3-course meal.

I would've rated this place with 4 stars, but this place has to do something with the music.

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

This place is a gem in Miami. Great food. Impeccable service - because the owners are ALWAYS there hustling - and great love music. One of Miami's few great, yet affordable restaurants.