“This reaffirms why Marriott Vacation ownership is a bad idea”

Marriott's Crystal Shores
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
Reviewed 7 December 2017

We have a confirmed reservation to celebrate New Years at Crystal Shores. I get an email this week that my reservation is cancelled because the resort is under going repairs due to the hurricane (at least the resort can be honest that there are construction delays). From what I know, Crystal Shores did not have any significant hurricane damage, so I am not sure what they are repairing.

The least Marriott can do is to shift my points to 2018 so I can book something else, but they won't do that. Now I am out a few thousand Vacation Club points because I have to use these points in 2017. Of course there is nothing available this year with short notice. On top of that, I have a bunch of airline tickets to Florida so I am left to scramble for alternate plans.

I wonder if there is enough people to put a class action together because they screwed a lot of customers.

Stayed: December 2017
5  Thank BLKR1234
MarriottVacationClub, Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Crystal Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for your review. We know how important vacations are and regret the inconvenience and disappointment this cancellation may cause. Our teams are working around the clock to restore all the villas at Marriott’s Crystal Shores. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, we continue to have one building that will not reopen as planned. While I understand this is short notice, we are sharing the most current information as it is available.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

I too just had my reservation for 3 2-bedroom units over Christmas break cancelled by Crystal Shores. 13 of us have plane tickets from the Northeast to come to Marco Island for the holidays and to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday. All she wanted was to have her children and grandchildren together on the beach to celebrate. Unfortunately we just had to tell her that our trip that was planned in the summer was cancelled due to a hurricane that happened in early September. Nowhere on Crystal Shores' webpage is information about the hotel sustaining any damage and no warning was given to customers that there was a possible problem. Marriott has done nothing to try to accommodate us at another property for a similar rate and has offered nothing for this inconvenience. We also have 13 non-refundable plane tickets. How are we supposed to find replacement reservations for 13 people during the holidays with such short notice?

The automated response on trip advisor is offensive. We are real customers with real vacation plans that have been ruined by the inconsiderate and disgraceful customer service of Marriott. While natural disasters are clearly out of the control of the property, the way that Marriott interacts with their customers is in their full control. As Marriott Platinum members, we are beyond disappointed. Marriott will no longer be our trusted brand in the future and we have no reason to continue in the loyalty program.

The overall rating deserves no stars!!.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. They don't deserve your business.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
9  Thank trtraveler2017
MarriottVacationClub, Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Crystal Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Our first visit to Marco Island. We were totally blown away with Crystal Shores. The facility is unbelievable , from the suites to the grounds. The staff couldn't have been nicer. They went out of their way to make sure that the needs of the guests were met. I would like to thank Allen Sagan, Matt lsabelle, Devon lmm, tom Brady. I would also like give special thanks to Bryn Post. Hats off to Marriott and their staff .

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boonan
MarriottVacationClub, Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Crystal Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here in Marco Island. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and leave a perfect review.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

I was also bumped just 12 days before the start of my intended stay on 8 November. I was planning to visit from the UK and to meet my US family from out of State. However I too received a short email saying that I would have to find alternative accommodation myself. I had specifically called the resort on two occasions after Irma to check that my reservation would be honoured. On both occasions I was told that it would be.

When I called Marriott to complain I was told that there was nothing Marriott could or would do and I should make a claim on my holiday insurance.

In several emails and telephone calls I asked to raise my complaint to senior management and be given contact details. This request has been ignored.

In the latest email from them they have said that they may have to make further last minute cancellations prior to the resort being opened fully in the New Year. BEWARE this means that future bookings are at risk.

Marriott have dealt with this matter in a callous and shortsighted manner.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank David C
MarriottVacationClub, Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Crystal Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and leave a review. We apologize for your reservation cancellation. We are working diligently to get the resort fully operational as soon as possible.

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

Hard to believe. I received a call today that my upcoming stay at Marriott's Crystal Shores is cancelled due to the "recent" hurricane. The most annoying part was that the rep, Joe, offered no apology at all. Very matter of factly advised me that they are closing one of the buildings to work on it so our upcoming reservation for Nov 12 is cancelled. Said he would try to find me alternate accommodations but most MVC timeshares were filled. I advised him that Singer Island seemed to have availability so we booked there. A three hour drive from airport. At the end of the phone call I was expecting a "thank you for understanding" or "sorry for the inconvenience", but neither. We own three Marriott Timeshares. This experience did not make me feel worthwhile as a Marriott Timeshare owner for over twelve years. Shame on Marriott for their poor customer service.

Stayed: November 2017
3  Thank karrhr
MarriottVacationClub, Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Crystal Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marco Island
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#11 of 59 in Naples
Naples Bay Resort
#6 of 59 in Naples

Been to Marriott's Crystal Shores? Share your experiences!