“The swordfish saved this rating from being lower”

Le Bistro Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bistro Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$18 - US$50
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NE 44th Street & NE 48th Street
Description: Some of our reviews: "Best Restaurant in North Broward" (Sun-Sentinel) “Surprisingly Awesome Strip Mall Restaurant” (Zagat).. "Elin & Andy Trousdale continue to wow guests from their funky storefront French-influenced bistro." (John Tanasychuck, Sun Sentinel)... “Le Bistro is that rare dining establishment that conveys ma-and-pa-type warmth, reflecting the earnest efforts of owners Elin and Andy Trousdale” (Rochelle Koff Miami Herald)... “The food is stunning” (Gordon Ramsey) ...Special attention to providing Gluten Free dining.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

4 of us went to Le Bistro for appetizers, dinner, dessert and drinks. Good thing we made reservations (2 weeks in advance). When we made the reservations we were told about the parking situation. The restaurant is in a strip mall with limited parking, but the restaurant puts out orange cones to save several spaces for their patrons. Just simply move the cone and park in the space. Good to know!! The service started off acceptable, but quickly changed as the restaurant became packed to capacity. Packed to capacity isn't difficult to do since there are only 10 tables. But there are 2 people servicing the entire dining area. Having to constantly ask for water refills, question where our coffee is (we're done with dessert) and watch as the plates from dinner aren't all cleared until AFTER dessert was a total turn-off. The seating arrangements were worse than the service. It's one of those places where they will sit anyone anywhere just to put another customer inside. We were constantly having to move, lean forward so the server could get around us, the couple at the table behind us had our chairs touching throughout the evening and the server couldn't reach 2 out of 4 of our places, so we had to pass everything down. BUT the swordfish was the best swordfish I have ever had!!!! The scallop and potato crème brulee was delicious, as was the cauliflower steak for the appetizers. The goat cheese appetizer was tasty, but overpriced. The desserts were basic and left us desiring more of the excitement and fabulous taste that came from the swordfish. No such luck. The swordfish isn't even on their menu, it was a special since they didn't have any Halibut due to the storms up north. To sum this up - the swordfish was fantastic, but you probably can't order it anymore so there's no reason to go here.

2  Thank Lynn F
EatingisBelieving, Owner at Le Bistro Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Lynn, We are thrilled to known you enjoyed the menu items you mentioned. Everything served to you was made fresh and in house - obviously it shows! The goat cheese appetizer with endive, bee pollen, honey, balsamic reduction & toasted seeds is priced at $12. We offer the freshest fish available to our clients. The wonderful swordfish coming in now may be replaced by another fresh fish as available. Le Bistro is a quaint, charming restaurant just like those found in New York and many cities around the globe. We do not rush our clients in order to turn tables as you suggest. Our servers are efficient and able to handle the small restaurant. The only thing left on your table may have been bread plates and a basket at the end of the table. Our desserts are all homemade from top quality ingredients - including real cream, imported Belgian chocolate, vanilla beans, organic eggs and we are proud of each and every one of them especially our house made ice cream! We made our fine coffee blend fresh for you special and it was served hot
and fresh! We wish you and your friends happy dining wherever you go and you are always welcome back to Le Bistro!

Reviewed 3 January 2018

My husband and I ate here for the first time last week. the bread was so so, I expect a baguette to warm this one was cold. Salads were good, My Filet was good Not great and the problem I have with this is that or what we paid We can go to a top steak house in Boca or elsewhere , I also ordered the seared Foie Gras at $26,00 , AGAIN its an expensive Item , but seared means warm..NO it was cold seared Foie Gras and had enough pepper on it to choke you, I could Not even taste the cold Foie Gras!! My husbands steak was also good but agreed for the $$ we can go to a lot of restaurant's with nice atmosphere, more comfortable seating and and Not an older in need of updating place................Also tables are to close to each other,[ you feel packed in] so noise is a problem. we will not return here................The owner was Lovely I will say and made attempts to please, so that made It a bit better .

3  Thank nycstarr
EatingisBelieving, Owner at Le Bistro Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear Nycstarr,

Thank you for dining at Le Bistro! Our freshly baked house made bread (from scratch) is typically served warm & toasty accompanied by our special house blend herbed first cold press superior extra virgin olive oil - don’t understand why the bread was cold? Cold sounds like something out of the refrigerator. That is entirely inaccurate and misleading. The pure Foie Gras was prepared utilizing the proper and correct cooking method - seared on each side leaving a cool center (as stated on the menu). Pure 100% foie gras melts when you overcook it. Not sure about the pepper - Don’t you mean the Espresso dust, (which resembles pepper?) and stated on the menu. A very simple & sensible remedy would have been to alert us to the issues you felt you had at the time and give is the opportunity to present you with another warm bread basket. As well we could have further seared the foie gras to your liking.

It’s sad to have to read this on a review site after the fact without giving us the chance to make you happy.

The pricing of our quality steaks do not compare to chic chain steakhouse in Boca. Nor can we deliver million dollar decor. What we do have is a quaint, cozy, independent restaurant that has been in business 17 years run by a husband and wife, dim lighting, candles, tablecloths, original local art, wonderful clientele and most importantly a highly experienced dedicated chef that prepares every single item from scratch from bread to his own ice cream and everything in between. It’s rare to find that these days and it’s sad that it goes under appreciated by some clients. We will continue to do what we do, listen to our customers and make every effort to improve in our ongoing effort to please.

We wish you all the best in your world travels and dining adventures and you are always welcome back to Le Bistro!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

I had made a reservation for dinner on Thanksgiving I thought, the reservation was for Christmas actually.. It did not matter they seated us very graciously. I don't expect the highest quality on major holidays but Le Bistro served a fantastic meal that would have been remarkable on any day of the year. We plan to go back very soon to sample the regular menu

1  Thank Caroline M
EatingisBelieving, Owner at Le Bistro Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Thank you for writing! We are thrilled to know you enjoyed Le Bistro Thanksgiving Dinner. We appreciate you sharing your experience here and look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2017

When you arrive at this small nondescript strip mall at Lighthouse Point (Delray area) you're saying to yourself, this might not be so good. But entering the quaint restaurant, you see the owners with Gordon Ramsay, and a multitude of culinary awards, posted on the wall and you go, maybe OK after all. And yes, the food was very delicious.
We came to Le Bistro because it was open on Thanksgiving, was serving roast turkey and stipulated what was gluten free on their Thanksgiving menu. And they had a 3 course prix fixe menu at a very reasonable $39/each. Three of us had the roast turkey (myself without the dressing). The original server thought the au jus was gluten free but when my meal arrived it had no gravy - they had confirmed some flour had been been added to it. So marks off for not knowing up front (I really wanted some gravy) but good catch for me in the end. Instead of gravy I had their cranberry sauce. Wow, best I've ever had!
Our other diner was able to enjoy GF prime rib, served rare and delicious. Appetizers were very elegant - a Butternut squash soup or Pear Gorgonzola salad with arugula. Three of us had the creme brûlée for dessert - very yummy.
We did order soft drinks at the beginning of the meal but they didn't come - the wait staff caught the mistake at the end of the meal and apologized.
The service was friendly and professional despite a few errors along the way. As one of the few restaurants doing Thanksgiving dinner, they were pretty swamped.
If you appreciate culinary skill and excellence, give Le bistro a try. You won't be disappointed with the food.

1  Thank towerpants
EatingisBelieving, Owner at Le Bistro Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you for your lovely review of Le Bistro restaurant. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your Thanksgiving Dinner. Please accept our apologies for not serving you our 100% gluten free turkey jus with your dinner. I hope you come back to explore more of our safe menu selections.

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We meet our friends for dinner here whenever we possibly can! The food is exquisite! Chef Andy & his partner and wife Elin always do a fantastic job!! I had the octopus which was so tender and delicious I ate it all myself!! I only eat seafood but my friends enjoyed an array of fabulous meat dishes including quail and beef Wellington which my boyfriend, who is a retired executive chef, said was awesome!! I also had the escargot and grouper which were also delicious!!! The wine was delicious and dessert was the perfect finish for a get together with friends we don’t get to see enough of!! we will come back again and again!! This is a hidden gem of a restaurant!!

It is always a joy to see you and serve you! We love how much you enjoy our restaurant and can hardly wait to see you again! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Le Bistro with theTripadvisor community.

Been to Le Bistro Restaurant? Share your experiences!