“Picadillo”

Elena's Cuban Cafe
Ranked #116 of 510 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed 20 March 2017

Elena’s Cuban Café serves good quality Cuban food. Today for lunch I had the daily special: Picadillo. This ground beef dish was mixed in a flavorful tomato sauce with diced onions and green olives. The dish came with a side of delicious sweet plantains and black beans and rice.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

This is a popular place (rather small) for good Cuban food. It's a family operation and everything is unsophisticated, but tasty. We love to go here for a good, solid lunch. They haves specials each day, too. Clean and efficient, you order at the window and a waiter or waitress brings it to your table. Roast pork, ripe fried plantains, black beans - these are comfort foods they do very well here. We'll always go back when we want Cuban food.

Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

Empanadas were good, cheese are more like a fried arepa but were tasty. Rices white, congrí, and yellow (with chicken) were all flavorful, but "Arroz con Pollo" was a little heavy on cumin. Pork chops were very tasty, liked better the smoked pork chops, but the fried pork ("carne frita") felt way too greasy and was definitely too salty. By 1:00pm they were already out of today's special (roasted chicken). So I went with a Cuban and the 3 stars are because of the "Cuban" sandwich, WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. It was basically a ham and swiss cheese sandwich, because it only came with a very thin slice of what to me is processed pork. When I go to an "authentic" Cuban Rest (and so it says outside) I expect at least real roasted pork and baked ham on my Cubano. For little under $6 is an expensive ham and cheese sandwich, sorry. Service wasn't the friendliest but it was attentive, even when it was a bit slow. Lunch took about 1:15 hours, to me that's a luxury!

Reviewed 3 April 2016

This was our first visit to a Cuban Cafe. We didn't really know what to expect but we thought it would be better than it was. The food was okay but nothing to write home about.

Reviewed 14 October 2015 via mobile

I enjoy eating here because it is one of the few spots I can get Cuban food in Lakeland.
Anytime the owner takes my order, he can come off as rude. But when a man comes in, he is talkative and friendly. I especially notice this when I go with my husband. Unfortunately, friends have also noticed this. Oh well, it doesn't bother that much.
Good value for amount of food. Food is flavorful. I ordered the chicken and yellow rice and my chicken was so dry.