“Great, authentic Mexican food.”
Review of El Molcajete

El Molcajete
Ranked #58 of 94 Restaurants in Marathon
Reviewed 4 November 2016 via mobile

If you want authentic Mexican food, this is the place. What it lacks in atmosphere, it makes up for in flavor. I had chicken fajitas and it was seasoned perfectly. Our server was very polite.

2  Thank gingercat75

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

This literally looks like a "hole in the wall" joint. So much, that, as we're approaching and it looked empty (at dinner), I turned to leave and my husband convinced me to try it. I said I'd order chips n salsa and we'd see...this place was TRUE authentic Mexican! It's decorated as such, the waitress was Mexican and super nice! I ordered the chicken flautas-best ever! My husband had the chicken burrito and enjoyed it too! Lesson learned: don't judge a book by its cover, you may miss a good o e!

1  Thank LISaaah_13
Reviewed 19 October 2016

This authentic Mexican restaurant is located on the gulf side of U.S.1 just past MM48 between the U.S. Coast Guard Station and Porky's BBQ. Visitors and Snowbirds coming to the Lower Keys learn quickly that there are generally two places to eat. Those that cater to the tourists and those that rely on the locals to keep them in business. The later can aptly be applied to this fine Mexican restaurant. During the off-season, the local restaurants must still keep up their standards if they are to survive. El Molcajete is one such restaurant. Serving authentic Mexican fare while keeping the prices low is, at best, the bane of many restaurants in the Lower Keys. Fortunately, this isn't one of those soon to be gone restaurants. This isn't a fancy restaurant but the food and the service more than makes up for anyone looking for candlelit ambience. We ordered chicken enchiladas with a molle sauce. The plate is served with three enchiladas full of shredded chicken, a heaping portion of Mexican rice and re-fried beans. Covering the enchiladas is fresh crisp chopped lettuce and your choice of shredded cheese. Typically, corn chips with some type of sauce is served prior to dinner. Here, though, you have to order the chips but not to worry, the first basket is free. Why this is an important side note is the sauce that accompanies isn't one of those out of the bottle mixes. It is home made blend of ingredients that lets your tongue know you are still alive but without making you wish you hadn't ordered it. If you have any left after the chips, try drizzling the sauce over your entree. It is sure to heighten your dining experience. Rarely does one get to add to the main entree with authentic Mexican beverages. While you might find a bottle of Corona, you are more likely to find a variety of authentic Mexican beers and carbonated beverages from Mexico. If you don't know the difference between beverages made and bottled in Mexico and those from the U.S.A., I suggest that you experiment as the difference is quite apparent. The service is top notch as one would expect from a family owned and operated restaurant like this and this one doesn't disappoint. Finally, you won't be paying Key West prices. You can fight the crowds in Key West or make the small trip to Marathon to enjoy one of the best Mexican restaurants in the Lower Keys.

1  Thank TravelingGourmand99
Reviewed 22 September 2016

Went there with friends and my dad. Nothing fancy at all. One server for 4 tables. We ordered Guacamole with our chips. The salsa was very thin and not chunky. The Guacamole was good. I personally like chunky salsa but the flavor was fine. We ate an early dinner around 5 pm. Four of us had the Chicken Fajitas. Those were very tasty and very sizzling hot off the griddle. The tortillas tasted like home made corn. The sides were refried beans and rice. We requested sour cream on the side. No cheese came with the fajitas nor did we get lettuce and tomato. Maybe that is not authentic? Several locals (Mexicans) were there eating and also had called in and carried out. You figure if the locals like it then it has to be good. The other person in our party ordered the Shrimp al Ajillo (Ajo is garlic) He said that his meal was wonderful. It also came with the refried beans and rice. Each of our meals came with several of the home made tortillas. It was good, hot and fairly quick. I would go back there again.

1  Thank KeyLimeKottage
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

The food is very good, we had the chicken & steak fajitas and the chicken enchiladas. No complaints, I would come again. Only 4 stars because I don't think anyone can beat my favorite place back home.

1  Thank Extraordinary179267