All reviews mangrove mikes star lodging bed was comfortable fishing trip reasonable rates rooms are clean worked great the florida keys old florida full kitchen lorelei pool fixtures recreation toaster
Reviewed 23 March 2006

This was a very clean and spacious Motel...we rented 3 rooms (2 regular and 1 w/kitchenette) for 4 days and they all exceeded our expectations!! The sheets were all clean, small towels but they got the job done. Clean pool and clean all around! Very central to everything in Islamorada! We're definately staying there again!! MUST have breakfast at Mike's Cafe which is connected to the Motel. Huge portions and VERY VERY GOOD!!!

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed 2 February 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Sunset Inn for a dive trip 12/03/05 to 12/07/05. Dennis at Sunset Inn was very personable, and recommended a few dive operations. We ended up diving with Holiday Isle Divers - great folks! We were in the separate 1 story bldg, where we were able to park our vehicle right in front of our room. My husband's adult son was also on the trip, and stayed in the main 2 story building on the 2nd floor. His room was huge! The only frustration he had was that his remote only turned on his tv, and his room was so large he had to get up and walk to the other side to manually turn off his tv - no big deal. Our room was simply furnished and included a table and 2 chairs, a small fridge, a king size bed that was very comfortable, a good sized tv w/cable, a closet with plenty of hangers, and a separate bathroom. Although dated, this place was very clean. Maid service was great. Yes, the towels are a bit thin, but they were thirsty little things that did the trick. This place was great for our purposes. We'd wake up early in the morning, have breakfast next door at Mike's Mangrove Cafe (pretty good breakfasts at decent prices), and head over to Holiday Isle Divers for a full morning of diving. After diving, we'd grab a bite to eat, hang out a little, and by the time we'd get back to our room, it would be nice and fresh and just waiting for us to take our little naps (you fellow divers know what I mean..diving can be an energy drainer). By the time we'd wake up and get showered up, we'd be famished, so we'd go explore the local eateries. After that, we'd go back to our rooms, watch a little tv in our comfortable beds, and look forward to another great day of diving... One of the desk clerks recommended Lazy Days at MM80 - Wow! Exceptional food at good prices. Very good variety too. If you're looking for excellent, fresh oysters - Alonzo's Oyster Bar in the Keys is wonderful. We happened to visit Islamorada at a time the local eateries were getting in bad batches of oysters, so many places weren't serving them. But Alonzo's gets their oysters from a different distributor. The day we visited them, the oysters had literally just come off the truck, into the kitchen, and put on our table - talk about fresh! I savored each one. Their bucket of clams were also very tasty.
We had a great time in Islamorada and the Keys, and I definately recommend the Sunset Inn, especially to fellow divers. Please note - while they do not have designated "non-smoking" rooms, neither my husband nor I found the room to have any objectionable odor, and I'm a pretty fussy non-smoker.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank LuvScuba
Reviewed 27 July 2005

I stayed at the Sunset for a diving vacation in mid July. Our room was clean as a whistle, the beds were clean and comfortable. Our room was a kitchenette, right off the pool, that cost $60/night! What a deal!! After reading the older reports here, I was worried that I was going to stay in a fleabag hotel. The Sunset is now owned by the same folks who run the Key Lantern/Blue Fin inn just down the road. They are honest people who have really done a good job making the Sunset an excellent value to stay at. You could spend a lot more money for far worse accomodations in the Keys. My dive operator strongly recommended them; thank God I listened to their good advice. Also, the restaurant next door, Mangrove Mikes, is excellent for food quality and value. We ate our main meal there everyday; their $8 lunch special was better than nearby restaurants $18-$28 dinner meals! Homemade everything, including mashed potatoes! I would definitely stay at the Sunset again!

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank Safari13594
Reviewed 20 July 2005

For the price I expected the worst. But, what I got was a very clean room with a comfortable bed for dirt cheep!!! I was there on a dive trip and only wanted a clean place to crash. The Sunset Inn fits this need perfectly. The breakfast spot adjoining the hotel is a local favorite with good food. I will definitely stay there again when I visit on my next dive trip.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank 2016Taylor
Reviewed 29 April 2005

When all the other hotels in the Keys go for over $100+ per night, I knew this place was not going to be "the best" because of how cheap it was. I was there for diving and sight seeing with my friends, this was just a place to crash. We didn't spend any time in our room, really, so $80 was fine with me.

We didn't have any bugs, as one other reviewer here said they had. The room was always clean, it was just really old. But when all I wanted was a place to keep my stuff an lay my head at night, I was happy with a cheap room, allowing me more money to spend on stuff I really wanted from the Keys.

By the way, I found out after I stayed here that some hotels will give you a discount if you dive with certain dive shops that they sort of "partner" themselves with. If you're diving, ask your dive shop about any hotels that offer discounts for diving with them.

• Stayed: March 2005