“You get what you pay for!”
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Sunset Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2006

Too bad we didn't read the older reviews posted here. After hearing what a great deal these rooms were, we checked it out here on this site to make sure we weren't walking into a typical "motel". We only read the recent reviews and thought, "what a great deal!". Well, don't let these recent reviews fool you! I don't know where these people have stayed at but they defintely don't mind the motel slums. Listen to our reviews and the older ones from '03... this place was not even worth the price they charged us! And the maids wanted tips???? It was filthy, falling apart, paint peeling, doors falling apart or not shutting all the way, second hand smoke reeked the room day and night from the neighbors, I too got bed bug bites all over my arms and legs, grounds outside the rooms were littered with garbage and nasty looking chairs, the kitchenette and fridge were filthy, the toilet paper holder on the wall had pubic hairs all over it, room service was not given on one of our four days, towels were small, thin and we had to beg for more, bed sheets had someone else's hairs on it, patched up walls in the room and bathrooms, bed lamps were shorting out, TVs busted up and remotes not working, carpet looked like they were supposed to be red but were brown and very nasty looking, grout in bathroom was black, one of the box springs had nasty stains on the side of it, our two rooms had two entry doors- only one had a nice deadbolt on it, the other had a weak chain on it- I didn't get much sleep because of the noises at night and wondering if someone broke into the room. The smoke stench was so heavy that I had a headache every single day and my contact lenses even were ruined by the smoke. When we return to the Keys, we will definitely NOT stay at this motel and will definitely read all the reviews no matter how old they are!

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank Mickeymom1

A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, FL
Reviewed 23 March 2006

This was a very clean and spacious Motel...we rented 3 rooms (2 regular and 1 w/kitchenette) for 4 days and they all exceeded our expectations!! The sheets were all clean, small towels but they got the job done. Clean pool and clean all around! Very central to everything in Islamorada! We're definately staying there again!! MUST have breakfast at Mike's Cafe which is connected to the Motel. Huge portions and VERY VERY GOOD!!!

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed 2 February 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Sunset Inn for a dive trip 12/03/05 to 12/07/05. Dennis at Sunset Inn was very personable, and recommended a few dive operations. We ended up diving with Holiday Isle Divers - great folks! We were in the separate 1 story bldg, where we were able to park our vehicle right in front of our room. My husband's adult son was also on the trip, and stayed in the main 2 story building on the 2nd floor. His room was huge! The only frustration he had was that his remote only turned on his tv, and his room was so large he had to get up and walk to the other side to manually turn off his tv - no big deal. Our room was simply furnished and included a table and 2 chairs, a small fridge, a king size bed that was very comfortable, a good sized tv w/cable, a closet with plenty of hangers, and a separate bathroom. Although dated, this place was very clean. Maid service was great. Yes, the towels are a bit thin, but they were thirsty little things that did the trick. This place was great for our purposes. We'd wake up early in the morning, have breakfast next door at Mike's Mangrove Cafe (pretty good breakfasts at decent prices), and head over to Holiday Isle Divers for a full morning of diving. After diving, we'd grab a bite to eat, hang out a little, and by the time we'd get back to our room, it would be nice and fresh and just waiting for us to take our little naps (you fellow divers know what I mean..diving can be an energy drainer). By the time we'd wake up and get showered up, we'd be famished, so we'd go explore the local eateries. After that, we'd go back to our rooms, watch a little tv in our comfortable beds, and look forward to another great day of diving... One of the desk clerks recommended Lazy Days at MM80 - Wow! Exceptional food at good prices. Very good variety too. If you're looking for excellent, fresh oysters - Alonzo's Oyster Bar in the Keys is wonderful. We happened to visit Islamorada at a time the local eateries were getting in bad batches of oysters, so many places weren't serving them. But Alonzo's gets their oysters from a different distributor. The day we visited them, the oysters had literally just come off the truck, into the kitchen, and put on our table - talk about fresh! I savored each one. Their bucket of clams were also very tasty.
We had a great time in Islamorada and the Keys, and I definately recommend the Sunset Inn, especially to fellow divers. Please note - while they do not have designated "non-smoking" rooms, neither my husband nor I found the room to have any objectionable odor, and I'm a pretty fussy non-smoker.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank LuvScuba
A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 July 2005

I stayed at the Sunset for a diving vacation in mid July. Our room was clean as a whistle, the beds were clean and comfortable. Our room was a kitchenette, right off the pool, that cost $60/night! What a deal!! After reading the older reports here, I was worried that I was going to stay in a fleabag hotel. The Sunset is now owned by the same folks who run the Key Lantern/Blue Fin inn just down the road. They are honest people who have really done a good job making the Sunset an excellent value to stay at. You could spend a lot more money for far worse accomodations in the Keys. My dive operator strongly recommended them; thank God I listened to their good advice. Also, the restaurant next door, Mangrove Mikes, is excellent for food quality and value. We ate our main meal there everyday; their $8 lunch special was better than nearby restaurants $18-$28 dinner meals! Homemade everything, including mashed potatoes! I would definitely stay at the Sunset again!

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 July 2005

For the price I expected the worst. But, what I got was a very clean room with a comfortable bed for dirt cheep!!! I was there on a dive trip and only wanted a clean place to crash. The Sunset Inn fits this need perfectly. The breakfast spot adjoining the hotel is a local favorite with good food. I will definitely stay there again when I visit on my next dive trip.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank 2016Taylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
13.1 km away
0.8 km away
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
#6 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!