Casa Morada
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Islander Resort(Islamorada)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Cheeca Lodge & Spa(Islamorada)
Ocean House(Islamorada)
Kon-Tiki Resort(Islamorada)
1,007 results
All reviewsgarden suitesunset sailsun suiteboutique hotelprivate islandoutdoor showercomplimentary snackspool areakey westpaddle boardssea viewsmall hotelhard boiled eggsoverlooking the waterthe breakfast areaflorida baytotal relaxation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I must start my review by saying my wife is a research guru when it comes to researching and planning our vacations. She did a lot of research for our Florida Keys trip and found this hotel. Based on what we read and cross checked it looked good but I feel I must let potential customers know some pros and cons about this place BEFORE they make a reservation.

Pros:
- Beautiful property
- Very friendly service at the front desk
- Nice outside bar and lounge area
- Nice pool and surrounding area
- Great location
- Good complimentary/included breakfast
- Great jacuzzi in the room
- Nice porch in our suite (when we could easily get to it* see below for more comments)

Cons:
- Our room supposedly had a "W hotel" branded mattress that was a few months old but it had to be one of the absolute worst mattresses I have ever slept on in my life! Read that last sentence again. I would rate it in the top three worst beds I have ever slept on. It sagged horribly and my back was a total wreck for over a week and a half after we left. The poor mattress also made sleep nearly impossible. My wife also thought it was very poor so it was not just me. We were so desperate we switched sides on the second night but the other side wasn't really any better. We later learned other rooms have this same new type of mattress. Not all of the rooms have them. Guess we drew the short straw.
- Toilet in our room did not work right. You had to hold the handle down for at least 20 to 30 seconds just so the toilet would flush! This is simply unacceptable for any hotel.
- The window that faces the outdoor hallway just about fell out of its frame when I lifted it up one day to get some fresh air. If it wasn't for my quick reflexes it would have fell down and broke and possible cut me. The only way we could get it to stay up and not fall was to use my wife's hairbrush as a wedge to hold it up. We Mc Gyvered it. Not good!
- Our sliding door to the porch completely froze up on the third day. It would open only about 12 inches so we had to shimmy through this small opening to get to the porch. This happened at the end of our stay so luckily it wasn't an issue for the entire time.
- The rooms are very spartan! No rugs or anything really that makes the room/suite cozy. I joked with my wife and said the suite reminded me of what you would likely see in a mental hospital, very white, bare, and clinical looking.
- Very minimal closet and storage space for your clothes. We didn't have a lot of stuff but had to be very creative to find room. The suite could have easily had a bureau or such but it didn't. This was a pain because I don't like looking at my luggage out for a trip. I want to put it away so I can relax.

Overall, I normally wouldn't ding a place but I found the multiple problems to be too much for such an expensive hotel. It was simply unacceptable! We would have changed rooms but they were fully booked when we were there. We didn't have any other options other than just work with what we had. I am sad I have to write such a review. My gut instinct says it wasn't just a fluke or us. I suspect other people have had problems and just haven't said anything for whatever reason. Lastly, I am disappointed with the owner/manager. I very calmly and politely explained our problems at check out and we were supposed to be issued a complimentary stay/credit. It never happened. I gave them four weeks to contact us. Nothing. I would think if I were the owner/manager and if someone brought up such large issues with me, I would make sure to do whatever was necessary to make the situation right. That is just what you would expect from a boutique hotel that has a spread in major magazine - great photography by the way. Final word, this trip was terrible and very expensive! I wish we never did it. I gave it a "average" and not "poor" rating simply because I think this place could be a really great place if they work out the kinks, but, again for the price it is not worth it.

Room Tip: The ground floor suites that look out onto the water looked nice. Seems they had a good view.
12  Thank Registered U
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I recently visited Casa Morada. We were pleasantly surprised to learn we were being upgraded to an ocean suite. The rooms are well appointed and the location is tranquil. A welcome change from large resorts or the madness of South Beach. However, what really set this place apart for us were the staff. My husband was ill when we arrived and staff were extremely attentive to our needs. They helped me locate a pharmacy, someplace where I could get him a hot cup of soup, and brought him pot after pot of hot tea. I was also very impressed with the cleaning service. Our room was antiseptic clean after they came!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lornabolt
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We really loved this place - after the madness of South Beach, being in rooms surrounded by tranquil gardens and opportunities for yoga and boules was fantastic. We stayed in a downstairs garden room - without the sea view - (but hey - who just stares out of the window of their room all day?!) The rooms are simple and feel really calming, with enormous comfortable beds, big daybeds to snooze on outside and there's even a myriad of little snoozing spots set-up throughout the garden too! The staff are great, really professional, helpful and friendly - there are heaps of DVDs to borrow and bikes to use and the pool on the edge of the sea with a sundowner bar is also a lovely touch with incredible views.

( I must note- I just read the review previous to this: We visited Cheeca for beach, drinks and dinner: Very nice if you want a big fat hotel with lots of people, a (strangely windy and ice-machine-noisy) cocktail bar and a busy beach. But Casa Morada is special, chilled and thoughtful. Plus for a perfect contrast the brilliant Lorelei is at the end of the street anyway! I recommend Casa Morada highly and will be back!

Room Tip: Upstairs garden rooms probably have a better view if that's your thing.....
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seeworld2000
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We just came back from the annual fishing trip and we usually stay at Cheeca but this year I told my husband I wanted to check out another property. There is no way this property compares with Cheeca and the prices are out of line for what you get (I don't mind paying up for something that is worth the price). I will start out by saying that the views from down by the pool etc., are incredible, but so are the views all along the keys. There is broken concrete on the steps, the property just looks old. However, I only went for the lodging as we were fishing all day. We had the big room with the balcony in the building that was by the road. We loved the balcony, but couldn't see the water with the vegetation. I really didn't mind as I was on the water for hours each day. The room itself was really tired. While the place has a "zen" like quality the mismatched plastic lamp shades were out of place. In the bathroom there had been repair work down, but instead of refurbishing the whole bathroom, it was patchwork. There was a lovely tub in the bedroom. While the whole room was painted white, this area was dark grey concrete with cracks here and there and more patchwork. The tub (I did use it) was very hard to get in and out of. I have a thing about having to sit on the side of a tub before and after -- certainly in a hotel. The water pressure was nonexistent. The bed was really really comfortable. We did walk up for breakfast one morning. It looked fine but nothing special . . . I can have cereal, yogurt and boiled eggs at chain hotels anywhere in the country. We left and had breakfast elsewhere. The property really needs some work and the decor needs to be redone if this property is to charge prices like Cheeca or anything even close. It would also be a good idea to remove the ancient tv's from the bedroom. While I didn't bother to watch anyway, it really just gives makes the place seem every older and really takes away from the zen like feel I was hoping for. Would I stay again == sure == when the upgrade it or if they had a really special deal!!!

Room Tip: Get the one with the balcony!
9  Thank Retrip
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this hotel on the strength of tripadvisor reviews. We stayed 2 nights in the downstairs wild flowers suite in the garden area.

As others have said, this is a very quiet boutique hotel, if you want something more lively then you need to go somewhere else. That said, the Lorelei bar is just down the road and great for sunset drinking.

Pros:
- beautiful rooms and faciltiies - love the area by the bay with the bar and the pool;
- free drink of anything you want on arrival - a v nice touch;

Cons:
- i would have preferred the bedroom at the back facing into the terrace area, for me having the sitting room that was round meant we didn't use it (or maybe it would be better as one large room rather than two separate)
- it seemed a little bit lacking in atmosphere - I can't put my finger on exactly what it was - it may just be that it rained a lot and we were on the final two days of our trip.

This property is not cheap - almost $400 per night for a suite in the garden area and I assume more for the rooms down by the dock. It was good but I probably wouldn't go back for that money.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying for the terrace in the more expensive rooms as you can lounge around on your private patio then.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank woganmog