New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Casa Morada

Casa Morada
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Grand Cayman
“Can't figure out how this property is #1 on any list”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We just came back from the annual fishing trip and we usually stay at Cheeca but this year I told my husband I wanted to check out another property. There is no way this property compares with Cheeca and the prices are out of line for what you get (I don't mind paying up for something that is worth the price). I will start out by saying that the views from down by the pool etc., are incredible, but so are the views all along the keys. There is broken concrete on the steps, the property just looks old. However, I only went for the lodging as we were fishing all day. We had the big room with the balcony in the building that was by the road. We loved the balcony, but couldn't see the water with the vegetation. I really didn't mind as I was on the water for hours each day. The room itself was really tired. While the place has a "zen" like quality the mismatched plastic lamp shades were out of place. In the bathroom there had been repair work down, but instead of refurbishing the whole bathroom, it was patchwork. There was a lovely tub in the bedroom. While the whole room was painted white, this area was dark grey concrete with cracks here and there and more patchwork. The tub (I did use it) was very hard to get in and out of. I have a thing about having to sit on the side of a tub before and after -- certainly in a hotel. The water pressure was nonexistent. The bed was really really comfortable. We did walk up for breakfast one morning. It looked fine but nothing special . . . I can have cereal, yogurt and boiled eggs at chain hotels anywhere in the country. We left and had breakfast elsewhere. The property really needs some work and the decor needs to be redone if this property is to charge prices like Cheeca or anything even close. It would also be a good idea to remove the ancient tv's from the bedroom. While I didn't bother to watch anyway, it really just gives makes the place seem every older and really takes away from the zen like feel I was hoping for. Would I stay again == sure == when the upgrade it or if they had a really special deal!!!

Room Tip: Get the one with the balcony!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Retrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this hotel on the strength of tripadvisor reviews. We stayed 2 nights in the downstairs wild flowers suite in the garden area.

As others have said, this is a very quiet boutique hotel, if you want something more lively then you need to go somewhere else. That said, the Lorelei bar is just down the road and great for sunset drinking.

Pros:
- beautiful rooms and faciltiies - love the area by the bay with the bar and the pool;
- free drink of anything you want on arrival - a v nice touch;

Cons:
- i would have preferred the bedroom at the back facing into the terrace area, for me having the sitting room that was round meant we didn't use it (or maybe it would be better as one large room rather than two separate)
- it seemed a little bit lacking in atmosphere - I can't put my finger on exactly what it was - it may just be that it rained a lot and we were on the final two days of our trip.

This property is not cheap - almost $400 per night for a suite in the garden area and I assume more for the rooms down by the dock. It was good but I probably wouldn't go back for that money.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying for the terrace in the more expensive rooms as you can lounge around...
2 Thank woganmog
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

The staff were great and very helpful. The location is beautiful: nice gardens; on the water; hammocks to hang out in; close to all the restaurants on the island. The rooms are nice but we stayed in one with a really old bathroom and our TV was old and did not work. Would have been nice if the bathrooms were all updated. The staff did come and immediately solve the TV problem which was really nice. They have bikes you can use as well which was very fun. This is a great place to stay in the Keys and I definitely recommend it!

1 Thank bek22
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a few days and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately my wife was sick when we arrived and for the first couple of days but the staff checked on her at least daily and provided anything we needed.

It's a simple, quiet place...very peaceful. If that's not what you're looking for, don't stay here. If it is, Casa Morada will be hard to beat.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GTjacket02
commerce township
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

After reading tripadvisor reviews, I picked Casa Morada for a special getaway for my husband and me. We hadn't been to the Keys in over 20 years. From the minute we arrived the staff was warm and welcoming. The property is stunning, and the owners did a great job of transforming what was probably an ordinary 50's motel into a beautiful, eclectic getaway. The minimalist room design (at least ours) was lovely and there is a lot of attention to detail over the whole property is commendable. Yes, it's pricey but I suspect that few other places in the Keys match the quality. We will be back!

Room Tip: Call the hotel and ask them to describe the different room types, as the web site doesn't offer...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank garolandcary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
3.6 km away
Pelican Cove
#6 of 19 in Islamorada
3.1 km away
Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina at Holiday Isle

Been to Casa Morada? Share your experiences!