“Nice Day trip”

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Spent the day out at Dry Tortugas. Nice Catamaran boat trip out to the Island. Enjoyed the tour of the Island and had a nice time eh water.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,407)
All reviews
"fish"
in 512 reviews
"moat wall"
in 91 reviews
"miles west of key west"
in 50 reviews
in 54 reviews
"bucket list"
in 130 reviews

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Dry Tortugas is a must for all NPS lovers, and nature/history enthusiasts as well. Snorkeling is wonderful, even just right along the sea wall. You can walk and explore about 1/2-2/3 of the fort. the fort has great interpretive displays, so you know what you are looking at. The views from the top of the fort are incredible Went during nesting season for many of the birds. Long Key and Bush Key looked like they were moving, that is how many birds were out there. I want to go back again, but this time camp so I can experience the night sky.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

I've visited lots of old forts and ruins, but this actually piqued my interest more than most do. You can walk around most areas, on top the walls and such. It gives that sense of awe that old ruins sometimes do. The self guided tour materials are not fancy but interesting. The snorkeling is okay, I've snorkeled better reefs though (for instance Grecian Reef at the John Pennekamp SP). Maybe I didn't go our far enough. The two small beaches are nice. Most people go out on the ferry. BOOK THAT AHEAD. It was filled up when I tried, I was lucky to get a seat on the Seaplane, which cost 3x as much (but was kind of a cool adventure on it's own though, and a lot faster). If you take the ferry it includes lunch and access to water, other than that bring everything. There is not water (hence the name "Dry") or food for sale on the island. The gift shop just has gifty type stuff, not staples.

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 29 July 2017

For history, for snorkeling, for a great boat ride or a great sea plane ride, The Dry Tortuga's are a must visit. There isn't that much good snorkeling out of Key West any more, but this place is a gem...combining snorkeling with history. You need to plan on investing a day in the excursion, but it's worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

We go to Key West every year for our anniversary, we always thought maybe next year we will take an entire day.

We did go this year and I must say I was taken by surprise, the day was a little cloudy but the water was calm.

To see 16 million bricks and Granet with other stone shipped and constructed in the mid 1800 was nothing short of a miracle

Do wait like we did