All reviewspalm roomduval streetcuban clubpool areasmall poolsouthernmost pointfull kitchenliving roomquieter end of duvalrum bartrip to key westoff street parkingprivate porchceiling fanfront porchbed and breakfastcoffee maker
Reviewed 7 November 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Douglas House for the past 15 years. We highly recommend the Douglas House, which have several different types of rooms to choose from with different ammenities.. The price is great! The rooms are immaculate as well as the outsiide pool, which is absolutely peaceful and relaxing. The owner and staff are MORE than accommodating to one's needs. It's located on the quieter side of town, which is perfect for us. We're up to a 3 week stay at a time there and enjoy every day at the Douglas House!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2010

We had the best time, and the best service at the Douglas House. The staff was very accommadating.It was close enough to the parting, yet far enough from all the noise and partying. I don't know who wrote the review that the pool was salt water and the spa turned their suits was wrong. The pool was fresh water and the spa was wonderful.Our room was the Palmetto Palm which was very spacious and comfortable. Floyd and Kevin you are the best....THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING OUR 25 TH ANNIVERSARY A VERY SPECIAL WEEK IN OUR LIVES...DIANE AND JERRY OSBERG....

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2010

we had always stayed at another hotel in the same area of Duval which we like because it's away from the craziness and still has some great spots for breakfast. The room was nice and big and the A/C worked great and kept the room nice and chilly. the parking was a little wierd because the spaces were way too narrow especially for a SUV but at least there is parking which is unusual for a Duval hotel. it was clean and our room had a loft bedroom and full kitchen and washer and dryer which was great. we extended our stay another night and will return again. the price was good for a place right on Duval.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Our service at Douglas House was great from the moment we got there till we checked out. Very friendly and inviting. We stayed in the Triangle Palm #12. Room was just the right size for my husband and I, and my daughter and her friend. Location of the Douglas House was perfect for us. It was right on Duval St. and close to nearby State Park. My favorite thing about our room was the bed. The best two nights sleep I have ever had!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We arrived one hour before check in and our room was ready for us. Lloyd checked us in and he was very nice and gave us a tour of the DH. We booked the Sago Palm room with two double beds. We had our own private porch facing the street (which concerned me at first because I was worried about the noise, but no problems). The room opens to a small foyer with a refrigerator and microwave to the right and the bathroom is in the back. The beds are set to the left of the room, large closet, TV, phone (a little something like out of the 80s), ceiling, and the AC is a wall unit. Our room did not have an iron or hairdryer, but I never checked with the front desk, so they might have one. We were supplied with Shampoo and soap. We filled our refrigerator with goodies from Publix (on Roosevelt Blvd, a couple miles away). I read in other reviews that the breakfast was really not much so we brought our own cereal and yogurts, but the continental breakfast was actually not too bad. They had muffins, breads (toaster too), bagels, cereals, fruit, coffee, tea, OJ and milk each morning.
We stayed during a busy weekend (Hemingway contest weekend) and we had no problem finding a parking spot in the DH lot (yes, they have parking). Free internet around the pool area (and I guess the rooms that surround the pool too). I spent a lot of time at the pool while my friend did all the tours in KW. Since this was my third time to KW, I decided to sit by the pool. I loved the pool, not too crazy about the hot tub (email me and ask me what I witnessed in the Hot Tub). The pool is salt water which I really enjoyed. I packed a picnic every day for my day at the pool. Since it was July the water was very warm, but it is summer in Florida, and the ocean was 86 degrees.
My friend rented a bike and DH gave us a card to get a discount with the bike shop on Truman. I highly recommend that you either bring your bike or rent a bike to get around KW.
Now here are some of my issues DH: The beds were a little old (soft and lumpy). Our room looked like they redid the floors in the bathroom, but stopped at the shower. We tried to plug our cords in the outlet and the outlets, but because they were so old, they would not hold the prongs of our plugs and would fall out. Our stuff would not charge. The walls are very thin. I woke up one night from hearing someone getting sick in another room. I also heard a girl crying as well. The pool area, as much as I loved the pool, has a very old deck and in need of MAJOR repairs. I had one of the chairs that were close to the entrance of the pool and I took my flip flops off to enter the pool and I got a splinter, OK not a splinter, a small piece of wood in my food that had to be taken out with large tweezers. My friend ran to the front desk and asked for a first aid kit and they handed her two alcohol pads along with scissors. So I sat there and picked the wood out of my foot for about one hour and not one hotel person came over to help me or ask what was wrong. I cleaned up my foot and road my bike to CVS to get some more supplies for my foot.
Would I come back to the DH? Yes, but only if they refinished the deck area and I would book a room with one of the full kitchens as well the DH is close to many sites in KW, very happy with the location and how quiet it was during our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends