We travel a lot and are used to staying in quirky unusual places as well as the big chains, so we thought we would give Ibis Bay a try as it sounded characterful. On arrival at midday as that's what time the flight arrives, we were told to return at 4pm to check in, which was reasonable as this was the published check in time, however there was nowhere secure to leave our luggage, so we were asked to leave it at the front desk in an open area, unlabelled, no luggage dockets. The motel is on a busy highway about 2-3 miles from downtown, no transport, so you have to walk, cycle or take the trolley bus, $29 dollars for a day. On our return, we were allocated our " courtyard view" room, which turned out to be a view of a gravel parking lot. The door didn't close properly, the air conditioning unit wasn't working properly and made an almighty racket when we did try to use it, it leaked water constantly, and worst of all the bed linen was filthy, not premium as described and pictured in the motel photographs, but worn green sheets. Both pillows and duvet smelt as through they had not been changed for days, including hairs and dirt. We contacted reception, and they changed some of the sheets. The light switches gave out shocks when you turned the light on, and there was no hot water in the shower most of the time, so we showered in a trickle of cold water. The towels, just 2 provided, were like sandpaper, no hand towels either. One small cheap bar of soap and a cheap bottle of shampoo which we did not use. The carpet was dirty, and the room generally was dingy and shabby, with no cupboards for your clothes. There was barely enough room for the double bed. On top of this we were charged $10 resort fee, although this is clearly not a resort. I tried to mention these issues kindly at the front desk but they were not interested. We have just returned from staying in hotels all over Florida, and this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in, including hostels and motels worldwide. If it was advertised as a $50 dollar motel or hostel then yes, but not a luxury resort. We did not expect the Hilton, for the price, but did expect a clean place to stay, and rooms as pictured on the website. This is a shame as due to the misleading and false representation of this place people may have their stay in Key West ruined when there are far better places to stay for the same price. I will be in touch with US trading standards about these claims.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ibis Bay is exactly what you dream of when you imagine Key West. It's a friendly, quirky resort with design and colors inspired by 1950s Havana. The landscaped white sand beach leads right up to the beachfront guest rooms, and guests can jump right into the beautiful bay for swimming, snorkeling and take jet skis, kayaks or paddle boards right from our dock! The staff are all Key West locals who love the island and want our guests to enjoy their stay. We have exclusive attractions like our poolside Dive-In Movies every Wednesday night on a 20ft screen by the pool, plus Nightboarding nightime LED-lit paddleboarding and kayaking! Wildlife abounds on our grounds including huge tortoises, lots of large colorful parrots, local iguanas (don't touch!) and our namesake, the very pretty ibis birds. In the mood for some fun? Ask our Fun Desk concierge about our jet ski, scooter and electric car rentals on site plus paddle board, kayaks and kiteboard rentals on the beach. They can also recommend off-site activities, restaurants, tours and local attractions. We have 80 hammocks for lazing about, and an amazing restaurant called The Stoned Crab that has two of its very own fishing boats delivering fresh crab, shrimp, lobster and fish every day! What are you waiting for? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Ibis Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Bay Waterfront Hotel Key West
- Blue Lagoon Hotel
- Ibis Bay Beach Resort Key West, Florida