All reviewsduval streetyogurtfront porchbed and breakfasthard boiled eggsother guestslaid backb b'sgreat place to stayice machinestreet parkingvisiting key westold townbikesfloridakeysbackyard
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Don't be fooled by the 5 star reviews, this place is honestly a nightmare. The wifi doesn't work and the owner and work staff are extremely unhelpful and hostile. We stayed there for 2 nights and won't ever do it again. On arrival everything seemed fine but the first day when we came back from visiting Key West, the maid had given us new towels but had taken the toilet paper away? We were very confused about this, who takes the toilet paper away and doesn't replace it?

However, this was nothing compared to our last day. Earlier in the trip, I had to cancel my bank card due to fraud which meant that I had to pay the rest of the balance (about half of the cost) on departure. I had no problem with doing that, however, the owner wasn't there (this was at 9.30AM) and the only person we could deal with was the maid. She requested we pay in cash, however couldn't give me the location of the nearest cash machine. When I requested to pay in card she said that the computer was turned off and she couldn't (didn't?) want to turn it on so she gives me a post-it note to write my card details on - my card details! - so when the owner comes in later in the day he can charge me. I wasn't comfortable with this and I told her. Instead we asked if we can leave our luggage here, go on our boat trip at 9.45AM which would arrive back around 4.30pm, and then pay in the evening. She said she'll call the owner - he said that he would only stay until 4PM and that we needed to pick up our luggage by then. The maid then said that luggage storage isn't a service they offer, however it's clearly stated on the booking.com website that they offer this. The fact that he left at 4PM meant that we had to put our suitcases in a storage luggage which put us out of pocket another $44. We thought that this justified paying less for the room because a service they said they would offer wasn't helpful to us at all. We asked the maid to call the owner again so I could talk to him but she refused and said that if we didn't pay the whole thing then the owner would take it out of her pay check (what the hell?!) and that she will call the police. In fact she looked scared of him and I think that's why she refused to call him again. Besides, why is it the guests' issue if they have a problem with each other? Why does she feel more comfortable telling a guest about this than her boss? I felt very uncomfortable in that situation. Eventually we just decided to pay because otherwise we were going to miss our boat - however, if we have had the time we would've continued fighting our case. In addition, there was at least one other guest who's had an issue with her room that she was telling us about.

Overall, this experience was very distressing for me. The price of the place was not worth being put in this situation. If you want to feel unappreciated, unvalued and disrespected as a customer, then this is the place for you. Otherwise trust me, find somewhere else to enjoy your holiday.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

This 155 year old hotel is a perfect place in the heart of old city, best way to feel the vibes of the key west lifestyle. The rooms were good and breakfast had a wide range of varieties.

Unfortunately, my encounter with their very hostile host is enduring. He was very sarcastic with me and my husband. He was extremely racist towards us, pointing out that our Indian accent was incomprehensible . He did not let go of any chance of making sly comments on us in the 1 hour of dreadful conversation we managed to have with him. He called us stupid indirectly, cut us off mid sentence while talking to him, raised his voice on us and talked to us as though we were incapable of comprehending the language he spoke to us in, which was plain ENGLISH. He made horrendous comments which I rather not disclose. When I informed him that this ain’t a way to treat his clients, he suggested we find another hotels out of fear of a “bad review”.

I m certainly sure Such hostility is not appreciated by anyone who’s come for a holiday somewhere.
So please know what your getting into when you book a room at this hotel.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DhruthiJ
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I'm going to make this short and sweet look around before you book in this location the owner is very unfriendly Rude the place is filthy the air conditioning is terrible which you'll see by the photos I questioned why our room was so warm he told me I'm a big guy and it's hot here in Florida and muggy I live in Florida .....I know it's hot and muggy I removed the filter cover on the AC unit fins were plugged solid with garbage. he comes across friendly at first if you show any negativity for the place he is very unfriendly there's an ice machine I think he's all proud about which has enough I said it for about four drinks for the whole place, mold around the tub place is falling apart I believe he's milk it for all it's worth I think he looks at it I have a place in Key West you need a place to stay here it is I don't think he's put a dime in the place in years you need to read the reviews before you go there I know it shows four and a half Stars you need to read the reviews that's all I'm going to say. We stayed another places in Key West before and those people their work very hard for their reviews and deserve good comments this place deserves a new owner.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Don L
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Things we enjoyed: ice water whenever we wished, cookies quite often, generally clean around all of the areas, delicious breakfast buffet, cool temperature in our room, and the little balcony off our room. We would have used the balcony more, but of course, it was pretty hot out while we were there. I was especially surprised with the included breakfast. Not the usual stale cereal and bagels. There were fruit tarts, yogurt, cooked eggs, meat-filled croissants, coffee, orange juice, as well as other foods and beverages.

What we didn’t enjoy: the loudness of the room air conditioning unit. The building is old, so I understand it would be difficult to put in central ac. But when you’re not used to that volume on a continuous basis, it can make it hard to sleep. Luckily, we were so tired from our Key West activities that it didn’t affect us too horribly. Also, you do have to go up a set of stairs to get to your room, so if you struggle with steps, this is not the place for you.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

• My husband and I arrived around 17:30 at the Bottle Inn. The owner Mark welcomed us. This was very nice as it was mentioned in the email that the office hours are only up to 17:00.
Mark quickly explained to us where we could park the car, where our room is located, how to connect to the WiFi, honor bar and the breakfast timing.
• From the outside Frances Street Bottle Inn is a beautiful characteristic house, but once we entered I was a little disappointed. The room we stayed in was moldy extremely squeaky bed, and the cleanliness of the bedsheet was questionable.
When flushing the toilet it overflowed, within seconds Mark was banging on the door; not to help, but to tell us that we are causing for a leakage in his kitchen. After that “statement” he left, leaving us behind shock and unknowing what to do to fix the problem.
• Parking is a bit challenging but lucky Mark was very helpfully. The next day; my husband asked Mark the next day it was alright to park the car directly infront of the door. Mark made a snappy remark stating that he already told him the day before and that it the rules haven’t changed in the last last 24hrs.
• Breakfast... good coffee! The other breakfast items are not worth mentioning.

Our stay was memorable, but definitely not worth the amount we paid for.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple