My wife and I ventured on a three day - two night visit to Key West, having no idea what it would be like. We had a very enjoyable trip, and the BW Hibiscus played a big role in our positive experience there. It is not a 5 star hotel, but I rated it 5 dots when compared with similar motels in that style and price range. In fact, the price was more than reasonable when compared to other places in Key West, and on top of that, it included free parking, WiFi, and breakfast.
If you have not visited Key West, here is a little info that might help you decide where to stay. There are many small, medium and large hotels in the “downtown” area. There are also lots of cute cottage style B&Bs. In addition, there are a number of hotels away from downtown - especially in the airport area. These hotels are too far from the bars, shops etc. to walk. You will either need to drive, or take a cab. Parking in downtown Key West is hard to come by, and usually is pretty expensive, unless you luck into a rare free space. The hard-to-find meters go for about $1.50 per hour, I think.
On the other hand, if you stay at the BW Hibiscus, parking is free there, and the spaces are easily accessed and ample in number as far as I could tell. The BW Hibiscus is located on the south end of town very near South Point. It is a block east of the main drag, Duval Street, which runs north-south. The rowdy end of Duval is the north end from about 0 (the pier area) to 600 Duval Street. The BW Hibiscus is located about 1.1 mile from the pier at the southernmost end of Simonton Street, just one block east of Duval Street. Although there are shops and bars all along Duval (and some of the other streets as well), you will walk about 0.6 mile from the BW Hibiscus to where the “action” starts on Duval. Plan to walk a lot and wear comfy shoes. The south end of town appeared fairly quiet, and a good night’s sleep should not be in jeopardy at the BW Hibiscus.
The hotel itself is clean and freshly painted on the outside. It was being painted during our stay on Valentine’s Day 2012, but there were no problems resulting from the painting, and by now I’m sure it is very pleasantly painted in various pastel shades. Our room was on the second of two floors, and was larger than most studio suites in modern hotels. It had two queen beds, a sitting area, a refrigerator, complimentary WiFi, an old style 26-32" TV that we never watched, a better than average complimentary continental breakfast, and free parking. Just don’t park under the loaded coconut tree in back (see photo).... We had requested a smoke-free room due to allergies, and although the entire hotel is non-smoking, the staff put is in Room 214, which has hardwood (laminate) flooring as a precaution. The room was clean, and odor-free. The queen beds were comfortable and the room was quite large. Outside our door was a nice view of the pool area.
I don’t know if we will return to Key West - it’s a long way to drive for a margarita - but if we do, we will stay at the BW Hibiscus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore the excitement of Duval Street and downtown Key West, then return to your cool spacious room at our Key West hotel.Located at the southernmost point of the state, visitors at our Key West hotel are here to enjoy paradise. We offer free parking, and we’re just one block away from famous Duval Street. While parking is free, most guests don’t need a car since you can walk to the area’s best attractions. The beach is three blocks away, and guests feel right at home in a quiet neighborhood that’s close to everything.From Fantasy Fest to World Offshore Powerboat Races, there’s always something exciting happening near our Key West hotel. The World Sailfish Championship is held here, and the Hemingway Days Festival is fun for the entire family. Whether you want to simply relax on the beach or are staying at our Key West hotel for a special event, our friendly staff members always strive to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.Large rooms and free Wi-Fi are included. There are no resort fees here, but our Key West hotel guests certainly feel like they’re at a world-class resort. There’s a great heated pool where relaxation comes easily, and it’s the perfect place to wind down after a day of exploration and adventure. Central to all top food options, bars and attractions, most guests spend their days strolling around the neighborhoods and beaches.We welcome couples, families and solo travelers at our Key West hotel. Consider a nearby surfing lesson or spend the day on the waters fishing. Key West is known for a life of leisure, and that’s exactly what our guests experience. Whether you’re here for an extended stay or just the weekend, be treated to the best in service and top quality amenities. Book your room at BEST WESTERN Hibiscus Motel today and get ready for the tropics! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your BEST WESTERN Hibiscus Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Hibiscus Hotel Key West
- Best Western Key West
- Best Western Hibiscus Hotel
- Key West Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Hibiscus Motel Key West, Florida