See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 March 2017

My expectations were low, due to the reviews, but I thought we would take a chance at an interesting experience. I reserved a house boat with a late arrival, which was confirmed. When checking in, we were directed to a barge with rooms, and when I asked about my confirmed reservation, I was told "this is all I have, this is all I have." When you GIVE AWAY someone's reservation, a phone call would be good. The barge was really awful. I can understand the odor, since it's on the water, but the property is literally falling apart. Loose flooring and extremely un-level, the furniture actually moved when walking by it. The television did not work as it appeared their cable was never hooked up. All bedding materials and window treatments appeared so old and dirty. I didn't see any pride in ownership in the inside of this place. On my way out, I looked into the laundry room area and noticed all the keys to the houseboats on the wall. It appeared that the houseboat that I originally reserved was available. HMMM.... I couldn't get out of there fast enough. There was NO offer of even a partial refund for not holding my reservation. Very poor management in my opinion.

4  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed 28 March 2017

i received excellent friendly service with a great rate to boot. Maureen the manager was very eager to please and most accommodating. the view from my room was priceless. a very down to earth place. every one was very nice. the beach was great. if you are looking for an authentic keys experience then this is the place. I stayed at an expensive place down the road and yes it was alright but it felt like i was any place but the keys. at this place i felt like i was truly on an island adventure.

Room tip: room 6 has the best views
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2017

Me and my wife spent Christmas week here and enjoyed the peace and quiet and the charm of staying on a houseboat, Place has nice a nice staff, beautiful water views and a real peace about it. Great beach to relax and read and a great breakfast and lunch place seconds away for the boats.

Room tip: Room # 6 deck with awesome water views
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Other people's reviews really tell the story. My pictures tell part of the story. The fact is that we reserved 3 nights in March 2017 and decided to leave after the first night. We arrived to a very stinky room 4. It smelled like mildew and mold. They moved us to room 5 which is not that much better, this one at least smells like sewage and not mold. There were hairs all over the room, dust, sewage smell. It has it all. And the worse thing is that they charge you like a 5 star hotel in cash. We had no toilette paper and had to call a number and wait for them to bring us a roll.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Guillermo R
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

If you are looking for a luxury houseboat experience, look elsewhere. If you are looking for an authentic Florida Keys experience, look no further than the Boatel. I took a private room on the barge, as no private boats were available. The room was clean and the amenities were all perfectly adequate. There's even a kitchenette!Because it's on a barge, the whole room tilted a bit, and yes, there is a faint musty smell, but for the price I paid... I'm perfectly happy. Maureen, the hostess, was gracious and friendly. If you meet other guests, you'll find people who stay here long-term, although I only stayed one night.

Date of stay: December 2016