“Very Friendly People, I love this Beach and I never see a crowd”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of American Beach

American Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of nine sites along the African-American Heritage Trail, this area founded in 1935 was Florida's first African-American beach.
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very Friendly People, I love this Beach and I never see a crowd”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I've been going to this Beach every May for about 4 years and I will be going again in May 2012. I misplaced the address of the Lady that I talked to a few years ago and she lives on Lewis Street and grew up in the area. We talked for along time and she was very Helpful. I Metal Detect ( in the Water ) and she would remember me if anyone knows whom I was talking to. please let me know her address. I took her a Gift last year but could not find her, she might be in her late 40's. I park at Burney Park and never had any problems. I was scared the 1st time ,since I didn't see anyone at the Main Entrance to the Beach around Lewis Street where the Metal Plaque used to be on the Building. It's too sandy for me to drive on the beach since I only have a 2 wheel drive. gosports1@aol.com

Visited May 2011
3 Thank walker1946

Jacksonville, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Quaint Beach Town - full of history.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

So worth the visit... the town is cute and quaint. There is great shelling on the beach and the largest sand dune system in North America.

3 Thank raineenyte
Katonah, new york
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Its a nice beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Much better beaches on Amelia Island. Promblem is they allow cars on the beach only at American Beach.

Visited January 2012
Lewisville, North Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“A somewhat depressing beach with a very weird atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

I am wondering if these other reviewers went to the same place I did?? The beach, itself, was nice - about the same as the rest of the beach areas on that part of the island. However, the village itself, was very rundown and depressing. I understand that it has a history associated with African Americans and that, at one time, was the only place that African Americans could own beach property. Several of the oceanside houses were completely rundown and uninhabitable. The park had very little in the way of childrens things like swing sets, etc. Interspersed among the rundown houses were some houses that were very nice. I'm not sure what is going on here - I plan to do some more research on this area because I am very curious.

Visited November 2011
8 Thank SteveNC
Cincinnati
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Forgotten History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

American Beach is located on Amelia Island, Florida. This historic beach was the only place available to African Americans during the times of segregation for beach enjoyment without restrictions. The homes in this area have not all been maintained well as rising costs have affected those that still live here. Many homes are left empty as thrid and fourth generaiton owners have no interest in the property or have never even been to visit.

The beach itself is sandwiched between the RitzCarlton and Amelia Island Plantation resorts and it is simply magnificent. Miles and miles of white sand and most times you are vey alone on this stretch of beach. It is always clean and there are lifeguards near the Burney Park entrance.

We have visited twice in the past two years and feel proud to know that this place existed for African Americans and that it was owned by an African American millionaire. The history is wonderful and I hope that more people will come to experience this beautiful piece of island beauty.

Visited August 2011