All reviews bike trail cinnamon sticks coffee maker and microwave newer building reasonable rates main road non smoking room small refrigerator two nights pillow cases room was clean convenience store cedar river seafood crystal river great rate bathroom floor air conditioner
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Since the room price is exceptionally good ($72/night), we were happily surprised by everything about this motel. My wife and I spent one night so we could ride the bike trail two days. The trail runs right behind the motel and it was very well maintained also. We were greeted at the front desk by a very friendly and informative young lady who informed us that our room was ready at 11:00 AM! So we were able to put our belongings in the room prior to our ride. The room was larger than expected, clean and well prepared. We asked for a quiet room with twin beds and it was as advertised. The beds were comfortable, the shower worked great and so did the air conditioner. We couldn''t have asked for more! The cinnamon stick restaurant next door prepared very large and tasty breakfasts.

• Stayed: November 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2018

My family typically stays in this Motel at least twice a year. I grew up in Homosassa and still have family in the area. We don't like to impose upon the family so we stay at Central motel.
Very clean and all the folks that work there are very courteous. It is close to everything such as restaurants, shopping (Walmart close) and only about 15 miles from Crystal River and Homosassa Rivers. The nightly rate is reasonable and about 40% less than other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the first floor because there is no elevator and if you have a lot of bags it could take several trips.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Central Motel
We visited the motel 4 times (so this review is a bit lengthy) in the July - August time frame, cards at the office ask you to review the motel at Tripadvisor.....so they should be happy to see this review.
Before the first visit, I emailed them via their Yahoo address to ask some questions, and never got a response from them, so after about a week of waiting, I called. The nice lady on the phone assured me that we would be in a totally non-smoking building, on the second floor (no elevators) on the Sunday when we arrived. I got the impression from her pause that she was penciling us in to a specific room for the planned day. I asked about room 55 on the phone, as someone said on TA that this was a particularly large room, but it turns out that is a downstairs room. The office is at the extreme NW corner of the facility, attached to building one, the facility consisting of 3 seperate large buildings, a 4th group is townhouses, and a separate restaurant bldg is also on the premises. The two large square buildings sit on the east and west side of the pool, a long building further south sits adjacent to the bike trail, the townhouses are across the street from that long building, and the townhouses butt up against the convenience store on Eden Dr. We were initially given keys to room 28, which it turned out was actually downstairs. I walked back to the office and reiterated to the lady at the desk that we had been told we would have an upstairs room (and also had asked if 28 was upstairs when I was handed the keys, perhaps she didn't hear me?). Our room was 33 then, upstairs in the building east of the pool, facing the pool, across from the building to which the office was attached. That puts a large building, and the pool, between highway 41 and room 33. We did not hear any noise in our room from outside, after dusk, when the pool closed. Until then you could hear people in the pool faintly, over the AC white noise. Although the building is totally non-smoking, there is a pot of sand outside the room with two lawn chairs, which invites outdoor smoking. This pot had no butts in it, so I guess smokers don't get the non-smoking rooms unless the smoker rooms run out, the room did not smell of smoke at all, fortunately. The window AC is juxtiposed from the room landings in such a fashion that it is not possible for any smoker to rest a cigarette on it, thereby providing smoke to the room thru the AC (I have had that unpleasant experience before at other motels with window ACs). This landing arrangement is true on the building we were in, I can't speak to the rest of the facility. The longest building, next to the trail, appears to have a continuous landing along its entire face. Room 33 seemed a bit worn around the edges, obviously not a new facility. The motel looks like it might have been a Best Western or Days Inn in its younger days. But given that it seemed clean enough, though we did notice some black hairs on the lip of the sink, we decided to stay, it seemed to be otherwise clean. My first impression on lying on one of the beds, was that it was pretty comfortable (soft but not too soft), three soft regular pillows, and, in addition, a square decorative pillow and a long round orange body type pillow, but looking up at the ceiling I could see numerous dust bunnies captured by the rough texture of the ceiling plaster fluttering in the AC breeze. Someone needs to take a broom to that. The two queen room was fairly spacious and, as I said, generally clean. The room is accessed via a regular metal key, with the room number on an attached plastic oval. The door had a deadbolt and a swing arm lock, and a peep hole. We did have some misgivings about the ability of the hanging blinds at the window, as to its capacity to provide complete privacy, and block external light, but it turned out this was completely adequate.
I had some difficulty initially getting connected to the internet, given the info provided at the desk, but finally did get connected after goofing around with the CentralMotelGuest link. Speed measured at 4:56 pm on a Sunday was 11.6 down and 1.5 up The desk provided info also indicated that it was possible to connect with BrightHouse Networks, but this info did not result in a connection for me on my PC (with Chrome) or my tablet. My wife managed to get her Mac connected with the CentralMotelGuest link with no real issues. Coffee provided for the drip maker in the room was Maxwell House. Sugar, Splenda, and Sweet and Low were provided along with N'Joy powdered whitener, no plastic spoon, just those little straw stirrers.
The room had what looked like a 32 inch flat screen TV, but we did not use it. It also had a small table with two chairs. The closet had a suitcase valet. No safe in the room.
The AC did a commendable job of cooling and dehumidifing the room, in spite of the high humidity and heat we were experiencing on a very muggy rainy day. The control at the window even had a setting for continuous fan, in addition to the AC temp control. When we arrived in the room it was set for 60 degrees, so we left it there for the night. It got chilly enough that my wife wanted it turned up to 70 when we got up the next morning.
We could faintly hear voices from another room when in the bathroom, but we didn't hear enough noise over the AC white noise to bother us during the night. Slept pretty well.
Discounts, 10%, were available at five restaurants, the Cedar River Seafood across the intersection, and at the Cinnamon Sticks (which is in the motel's parking lot). You just show your room key to get the discount. Also providing discounts are Motor City Pasta, Habaneros (across 41) and Angelotti's. Unfortunately, Cinnamon Sticks is not open on Monday, nor is it open for dinner any day, so we did not get to try it, and it is highly rated on TA. And though we like the Cedar River Seafood in Gainesville, we opted to go eat at Angelo's, which I definitely recommend.
On awakening, and trying to use the microwave, realized it was not plugged in. So crawled under the desk to unplug the desk lamp to get a free outlet to use the microwave, a little annoying. There is a group of outlets attached to the right front of the desk where the desk lamp could have been plugged in. No usbs in the room, but there were the aforementioned desk outlets for A/C, and what looked like a dial up or ethernet port. Other A/C outlets in the room were sort of ganged with plugs.....don't know how safe that is. As long as they are attached to a working circuit breaker, I guess its ok.
The shower had a control handle that looked sort of like a joy stick, it controlled both temp and pressure, I liked it, lots of pressure available. The shower head at first gave me the impression that the head had been stolen, but it turned out that it was one of those narrow low flow types, it gave out what I would describe as a large drop mist, but very wet and not particularly low flow, enough that you could easily wash off soap, unlike some low flows. I liked that too. My wife said it was ok. Plenty of hot water. Also the towels and washclothes were thick, unlike some of the really thin towels you see at other motels. Liquid soap was provided in dispensers, above the sink; and in the shower, on the wall opposite the shower controls, no bar soap. This soft soap smelled ok, not cheap. There were also some packets of Oasis shampoo, a blue gel that was ok...a little hard to get this packet opened; if you decide to use it I would suggest ripping or cutting it open before you get in the shower and get your hands wet.. I liked the arrangement of the shower, I think the only improvement that could be made there would be to provide a curved bar for the shower curtain, or move the straight bar further out to give more working space at the shoulder, it was a bit tight as it currently exists, and I'm just an average sized guy. Also the shower light could be a little brighter. I did like the switch arrangement at the door to the shower and toilet, it had switches for; the vent, the overhead light in the shower area, heat, and a night light in the area above the toilet (which was a blue light). These switches were actually labeled.....very unusual, but very good. I hate fumbling with switches! I particularly liked the night light, it gave just enough light to allow you to find your way to the bathroom, without providing so much light as to interfere with sleep.
The pool area looked nice and clean, and I saw no ashtrays around on the tables, or anything else to encourage smoking. Towels for the pool are provided at the office, according to the provided motel information.
The motel outside areas appeared to be well lighted at night, so you shouldn't feel too uncomfortable going back down to your car after dark.
At the corner of Eden Drive (the south end of the motel property) there is a gas station/convenience store, within easy walking distance from the motel, and you can also access the motel via Eden Drive as well as from 41.
So what is my total assessment from this visit? Well, it obviously isn't the Hampton, but its good, and given the reasonable price vs other hotels in the area, and a AAA discount it definitely meets our basic needs; of reasonable cleanliness, smoke free room, sustained quiet, a properly working AC and decent sleep. We decided we would use the motel again the next time we were in the area.
One note for those interested in the townhouses, I got the impression from CMs website that those could be had for a single night, but the checkout lady in the morning told me they actually only rented those on a monthly basis.
Second visit. We returned to the Central Motel about two weeks later. This time the pleasant woman on the phone assured us she had penciled in our room number with a note to subsequent personnel not to change it. This room, 36, was a double queen immediately opposite room 33 on the trail facing side of the building, second floor. The view out that window was the greenery of trees that stood between the motel building and the bike trail. Again the landing serving our room and 35 on the second floor had two chairs and a sand pot. Room 36 was more or less identical to 33 with slightly different decor, slightly different AC controls, a chain instead of a swing arm lock, but otherwise very similar in other respects. The fridge, microwave, and TV were all a bit different from 33. The beds were comfortable, as in 33, but had no decorative pillows, just the three regular pillows per bed. Still the ganged A/C outlet arrangements. Same minor shower curtain space issue. This room was extremely quiet, we heard no noise from outside our room at all during our entire stay. When we arrived we did not see hairs on the sink, or dust bunnies on the ceiling. The only cleanliness issue I might suggest would be that the grout in the bathroom floor was extremely dark, though the tiles themselves looked clean, as did the rest of the bathroom (X-14 could fix that grout). The age of the facility was revealed by some large chips in the porcelain of the tub, but again the room was generally quite clean. It was not necessary to put ones feet on the floor of the bathroom as they did provide a fairly thick floor towel, but as the door of the bathroom opens into the bathroom this had to be manipulated as it would catch under the narrow gap of the door bottom. We slept well. My PC connected immediately to the wifi, as did the wife's Mac, to the Central Motel link, from our previous visit. I did try again to connect to BrightHouse, but again without success. One negative to the room occurred about 10:30 pm, while reading at the table near the AC I noticed a faint cigarette odor. I thought perhaps someone had left a butt smoking in the sand pot and went out on the landing to extinguish this, but found the faint smell was actually coming from a young woman on her laptop on the floor below us, who was outside for a smoke. This was rising up and drifting to our AC. That odor disappeared as soon as she went back into her room. Not much you can do about that amount of smoke given that smoking is allowed outside the non-smoking building, one of the pitfalls of rooms that open immediately to the outside environment. If they tried to charge you for an odor in the room afterwards because of external smoking, I would have a real problem with the motel, but I suppose this minor smoke intrusion never results in the room having a cigarette stench. In the morning we found a half inch roach dying in the bathroom, and a little later a half inch yellow spider slowly making its way across the ceiling. Bugs are "Florida" issues, a product of being immediately next to large trees overhanging the roof and being close to the outside wooded enviroment, with doors that open immediately to the outside; under these circumstances, even the best homes can not altogether avoid common insects in Florida, and as native Floridians, we don't get too 'bugged' about that sort of thing. This room also had the same hanging blinds, from outside you could see in to the room enough to see the front lamp, but nothing else, so that was adequate. For us, no big issues. The on site restaurant Cinnamon Sticks was open on the Friday morning we left the motel, but we, unfortunately, did not have time to check it out.
Third stay, we asked for 36 again on a Sunday, and had no issues with the room. We did however, find the wifi was not accessible, even though the router was reset at our request several times after we called the front desk to let them know that none of our devices would connect. (The lady at the front desk indicated it might be because of a nearby storm, but it wasn't available the next morning either). Finding no internet access, I went down to the pool to read a book on my tablet and found that I was able to connect weakly with the Brighthouse Network, just enough to check my email. The wife later came down with her Mac and was able to use the Brighthouse connection to check her work email. So the Brighthouse signal was too weak to connect within our room, but did work outside. Never did get the Central Motel link to work, inside or out.
Fourth stay. Made a late reservation for Sunday and 36 had already been taken, so we ended up in 38, another upstairs double queen on the trail side of bldg 2. The farthest room from the south parking lot. There is a small parking lot around the corner from the office, on the north side of the pool, which is fairly close to 38, but this looks pretty tight to me, a good place to get your vehicle crunched? When we arrived at 38, a woman was having a smoke while talking on her cell on the landing 38 shared with room 37. The smell of smoke was not evident in the room however. From the landing you can see the bike trail a little through the trees. 38 was very similar to 36, the grout in the bathroom floor was less towards black, and more gray. Minor differences in the coffee maker and microwave and AC unit. A swing lock vs a chain on the door. This room was absolutely silent the entire time we were there, which is good because when the AC hits the chosen temp in this room, the fan goes silent along with the AC, no white noise, no continuous fan. Also the digital readout for the temperature did not really match the 'feel', 60s felt more like 70's, but you could crank it down and get cooler. The only problems in this room, other than those minor issues commonly shared with 33 and 36 were a broken spout on the coffee maker, that made a bit of a mess pouring coffee, and I could not seem to get cold water only from the single handle Moen type globe fixture at the sink. But this is a minor issue since you normally only need hot water at the sink, and you can get cold water from the bath spout if you want. The bathroom night light was yellow vs the blue seen in 33 an 36, but still faint enough not to interfere with sleep.
This time I used the pool. Well kept and clean, but a little worn around the edges, very faint smell of clorine, no eye burn while swimming. The pool has three umbrella tables, many adjustable lounge chairs and comfortable regular deck chairs, 3 covered trash bins, and small cube tables to sit your stuff on at the chairs (the tops of these open too, if you want to hide your stuff in one). The pool fence has three gate openings, with signs indicating no glass, and no smoking! Be forewarned, if a storm or strong winds come up don't leave your stuff on one of the umbrella tables. I had placed my PC on one of those tables, while I was in the pool, and a strong storm wind dumped the umbrella and table in to the fence. If not for the fence catching the table my PC would have crashed on to the deck, not good!
We had difficulty with internet connections in room 38. We could see the Central Motel and Brighthouse links, but neither was strong enough to connect. At the pool however I was able to get an excellent connection with the Central Motel link, which allowed me to use Google Earth, Netflix and YouTube, which are always bandwidth demanding. It measured down at 20 and up at 1.6. I could not however get a Brighthouse connection, too weak.
Well, that pretty much sums everything we encountered at Central Motel, we expect to use it again in the future, we consider it a good value for the money, not perfect by any means, but good enough for our purposes, and we eventually hope to check out Cinnamon Sticks.
Suggestions: If you stay here, I suggest you ask, over the phone, for a specfic room number assignment once you have established the room that meets your desires. And be prepared to have to struggle a bit to find a good consistent wifi connection once you are settled in, which probably varies greatly with where your room is in the complex. If you can't make a connection in your room, try again at the pool.

Room Tip: Get a specific room number after indicating what you want in a room. Be prepared to deal with inconsistent wifi.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank burntweeniesandwich
Reviewed 27 August 2018

This was our first visit to Inverness and we booked a room at Central Motel for our stay. Booking a motel in a small city we did not know what to expect. Central Motel certainly exceeded our expectations. The King bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Another bonus was the outstanding breakfast at Cinnamon Sticks right next door. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new addition
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

This place is always nice and clean. The pool in a nice place. The bed are comfortable. The staff is always friendly it definitely go to of your going to Inverness FL. There a nice place next door to eat at to.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo