“Authentic Flavorful German Cooking.”

Old Hamburg Schnitzelhaus
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Holmes Beach
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Authenticity is the key for us at the Old Hamburg Schnitzelhaus™, and we strive to bring you the best in traditional German and Austrian cuisine. Our menu includes various versions of schnitzel, roasts, sausages, potato pancakes, brats and of course, German Gemutlichkeit (German hospitality). No question, we only serve the best German beers and wines. The atmosphere at the Schnitzelhaus™ is like what Anna Maria Island is for Florida: Fun, laid back, simply “gemutlich”. Come hang out and enjoy yourself on one of the wooden tables or by enjoying a or two beers or wines at the bar. Schnitzelhaus™ is the “Wirtshaus” where you gather with your friends, your date or even your grandmother. All are welcome, and all are encouraged to stay a while. We, the owners of the Schnitzelhaus™, are proud of what the Old Hamburg Schnitzelhaus™ Team started bringing to the Island some 15 years ago. We want to keep their heritage and take the German spirit on Anna Maria Island up to new generations. So all will know what German food and spirit stands for in today’s world and what it means to enjoy a fantastic Schnitzelhaus™ night.
Reviewed 11 October 2017

My wife and her sister and niece are all part German and so have fond memories of German cooking that their Grandmother would serve. Plus my niece has spent time in Germany and loves it when food is done the proper way.
First off I always try to size up the crowd tonight we had a very heavy presence of tourist apparently from Germany. I'm guessing visiting family; Anna Maria Island does have a good population of Germans that have come over on vacation and decided this is where they want to live.
There seemed to be more large groups dining tonight, large family get togethers, there were also couples. The beers were or at least seemed to be fairly tall. There were happy people where ever I glanced. (which is another good sign jin the restaurant business )
The food I had a Chicken Cordon Bleu, which was not the listed item a Pork Cordon Bleu was the listed item but I was feeling a little rough and went with the chicken instead. Always surprised when food is brought out to me in a manner different then I thought it would be. I'll blame my prepackaged "Lets microwave this box" up bringing for that.
It was not done in a roll but in more of a filet of chicken with thin cut ham and cheese, batter dipped and fried. It was delicious. My wife had the Crispy Duck (a half duck split down the center) and loved it along with sides. My sister in law had a Schnitzel, I am sorry but not sure which one only that she thought it was great (enough said)
The portions were large no skimping on size. We weren't prepared so we never even thought of desert. The dishes were very flavorful; we talked drank and ate until we could eat no more; we weren't rushed and we had a good family outing; being loud, laughing basically having fun. The restaurant had that nice buzz of talk and laughter going on at what ever table I saw.
The staff was great, like I had said I was a little rough and didn't have any alcohol just water and the staff made sure my glass stayed full bringing us a pitcher. They were breaking in a new server who forgot something minor and came back over to take care of her mistake. Nothing out of the ordinary for any restaurant. But they were very attentive making sure my wife had everything she needed to attend to her duck in a proper fashion.

1  Thank Douglas C

Reviewed 11 October 2017

I went with my mom, aunt and uncle and we all loved our meals! I got a 1/2 liter of a terrific German beer and the Cordon Bleu schnitzel which was so delicious. It came with roasted potatoes and everything was cooked perfectly. The atmosphere was nice - felt like a German home- small and quaint. I would definitely go back!

2  Thank Faith C
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We were disappointed that co-owner Gary was in Germany and we missed him! (Hello Gary!) However, the restaurant staff did a fabulous job of taking care of us; and chef Armin's superb wienerschnitzel sated us so completely that we had to refuse the apple strudal and Black Forrest cake desserts. Bring a BIG appetite when you visit!.

2  Thank Gary F
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

From the friendly staff to the delicious food, this place had us smiling! We thought we were in Old Hamburg itself. A truly authentic experience.

3  Thank Julianne C
Reviewed 18 September 2017

The food here is absolutely delicious. We've been a couple of times and will always go back. Staff is great - Beer is amazing. Go hungry because the portions are big. Have to get a doggy bag every time.

3  Thank jojohnson1212