“Decent food but ? advertising”
Review of Clam Bake

Clam Bake
Ranked #54 of 887 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I am always looking for good oysters and found them here last year so we decided to try it again. We were having a very late lunch so ended up there for the early bird specials. I had the oysters and my husband had the sole. We both had the clam chowder which was OK.

When the entrees were brought the waitress said to my husband, here is your flounder. He said, I ordered the sole and she said they were both the same thing. Being from fishing families in New England, we know that sole and flounder are two entirely different species, which anyone can find out by looking on the internet. Sole tends to be finer and is more expensive. This disagreement was carried on for some time by staff with a suggestion that we talk with the chef (not sure what that was supposed to accomplish) and various staff stopping by to tell us that sole and flounder are really the same thing.

Now my oysters were good as were my husband’s fish, whatever it was. And it maybe in Florida sole, flounder and “flatfish” are sold interchangeably. However, it does not help the reputation of New England fisheries when a restaurant that bills itself as an “authentic New England restaurant” sells something as sole, serves it as flounder and refuses to admit its mistake.

3  Thank Jeanette123

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I went based on the overall ranking of this site. My advice - don't believe it. I think the ballot box has been stuffed on this one. I had the broiled seafood combo. 3 shrimp, 3 scallops, on a minuscule piece of haddock, all covered with a supposed crab stuffing that was at least 80% filler. All this saturated and swimming in what looked and tasted like garlic butter, served in a stainless baker about 5" in diameter. It was disgusting and I'm kicking myself for eating this puddle instead of getting up and walking out. Like I said the service people were very nice and I guess I did not want to insult them or make a scene. Take my advice and steer clear.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We call ahead to see if they have fresh grouper, they make the most awesome grouper sandwiches -- fried or broiled. If you like a Reuben, try the grouper Reuben, it's not on the menu but they will make it. It is mouthwatering! Must try the homemade soups, made daily. My favorite is the New England Clam Chowder. The restaurant doesn't look like much, but it's got a great content.

1  Thank Aservies
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I ate here 2 X and the second time was just to give them another chance. I am used to some of the Northern NJ, NY, Boston seafood places and this just does not compare.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Try the stuffed quahog, fried oysters were great. Not a big place, try it once at least to see what they can do.